• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Resort closed due to snow

alot of people on here are pointing the finger and saying "they should have know yest. Ive got a long way to come, should have looked at the forcast" im sorry no sympathy. If you know the weather would be bad why would you even attempt it. Common sense on both parts could be used. come on people

Also look where AT is. Think how bad it would have been for the people who make the deciesion to close to get to work. and the rest of the staff,

Slugjc said:
alot of people on here are pointing the finger and saying "they should have know yest. Ive got a long way to come, should have looked at the forcast" im sorry no sympathy. If you know the weather would be bad why would you even attempt it. Common sense on both parts could be used. come on people

Also look where AT is. Think how bad it would have been for the people who make the deciesion to close to get to work. and the rest of the staff,
Your viewpoint is ignorant to the people who have pre booked tickets. It's stated when you purchase these that they are NON REFUNDABLE. That means, if the park is open and you don't arrive due to not knowing the status of opening until late on, you loose your money. If the park opens, it's your fault if you don't arrive etc. therefor people are eager, regardless, to get there!

If the park closes, that is a different story as they revalidate tickets, despite their T&C's stating otherwise, hence why the confirmation is important for people to know early enough in the day to plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

EuroSatch said:
Replace 'Alton Towers' with 'school' and everyone would be in uproar if they closed the night before and no snow came.

Anyone planning to go today would surely have looked at the weather and come to the conclusion that it'll be impossible to even get to the theme park.

But people rely on schools as a means of childcare. Schools closing unnecessarily means parents having to take the day off work, which in turn costs the economy a lot. Alton Towers making the call based on forecasts conclusive and just hours ahead isn't quite on the same page IMO.

As I said, I was 95% certain it would be closed today having looked at the forecasts, but unfortunately I needed the official verdict to be sure I wasn't going to lose out on my money. If I was 95% certain, surely so were the park.

T said:
Slugjc said:

Your viewpoint is ignorant to the people who have pre booked tickets. It's stated when you purchase these that they are NON REFUNDABLE. That means, if the park is open and you don't arrive due to not knowing the status of opening until late on, you loose your money. If the park opens, it's your fault if you don't arrive etc. therefor people are eager, regardless, to get there!

If the park closes, that is a different story as they revalidate tickets, despite their T&C's stating otherwise, hence why the confirmation is important for people to know early enough in the day to plan.

Ok people have booked, ok they wont get there money back, but they have the option to change. Ignorant no. IS IT ignorant to think that people will be putting lives at risk by driving to a park which down alot of country lanes. IS IT IGNORANT to Risk other people lives e.g AA, emergancy services, people who live near by. IS IT IGNORANT to not think about the poor staff who'll have to get there no matter what. Have a job on there hands to get paths clear, help guest in the hotel get out. Then have no idea if they'll be able to get home or not, and still put up with people crying and moaning and them. I think not

I understand if people have been upset by the closure. But what would you want to arrive and then to be told its shut 1 hour later................. I think not. The tears will flow again. They cant win no matter what they do. By the sounds of it they tried at least to open, and after last year when they opened and closed and the grief they got this is the right choice. No matter what time you set off.

JamesF said:
EuroSatch said:
Replace 'Alton Towers' with 'school' and everyone would be in uproar if they closed the night before and no snow came.

Anyone planning to go today would surely have looked at the weather and come to the conclusion that it'll be impossible to even get to the theme park.

But people rely on schools as a means of childcare. Schools closing unnecessarily means parents having to take the day off work, which in turn costs the economy a lot. Alton Towers making the call based on forecasts conclusive and just hours ahead isn't quite on the same page IMO.

As I said, I was 95% certain it would be closed today having looked at the forecasts, but unfortunately I needed the official verdict to be sure I wasn't going to lose out on my money. If I was 95% certain, surely so were the park.

You sir did it the right way and kept an eye out for what they do and also the weather.

To be fair to towers, the forecast yesterday originally said heavy snow throughout the entire day. Snow did not appear until late afternoon.

There was every chance it just didn't appear, and then have a ridiculously quiet day as they've told people not to try. Today was a relatively good amount of time notice, considering the park opens at 9am.

At least there is no more heavy snowfall forecast across the area from now. Just some light showers. That, with warming ground temperatures, will hopefully allow the area to clear somewhat and allow for a beautiful and open theme park tomorrow!

:)

Re: Re: Alton Towers Resort closed due to snow

AstroDan said:
At least there is no more heavy snowfall forecast across the area from now. Just some light showers. That, with warming ground temperatures, will hopefully allow the area to clear somewhat and allow for a beautiful and open theme park tomorrow!

There is, the snow has been forecasted to continue until 9am tomorrow at the earliest with highest temperature being -2c. So good luck to them to be honest, I can't see it shifting anytime soon.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Weather forecast doesn't look too great. Whilst the park may be open, ride availability could be poor due to the below freezing temperatures.

I have beenlooking at the Met Office and it says light snow, which is neither here nor there.

Unless another forecast elsewhere states heavy through to tomorrow?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Just a quickie on the last two days, I was planning a trip Friday, I checked the weather report and quickly cancelled.

They had Stafforshire, and Stoke etc on an Amber Warning alert. That's the same as the last major heavy snowfall we had.

Warnings could have easily gone out saying the park is likely to be closed (not sure exactly what they did do, as I made the choice to avoid it the day before given the warnings). The Met Office don't issue Amber warnings for no reason, and this one in particular centred precisely on top of Alton Towers pretty much lol.

Can't blame them for the weather, but it was pretty nailed on that Friday and Saturday were set for major disruption. Whether people believe it's their own responsibility to check and be sensible, or Towers to announce closures earlier - that's for each person to decide.

Personally though, I didn't wait for Towers to announce something the Met Office had made abundantly clear already - as a business, it is your prerogative to all you can to open, and it can't be easy to manage that amount of staff balanced against public safety.

Wouldn't want to be the manager in that situation I have to say.

Jeez...

483678_10151572056389402_1752300083_n.jpg

From Alton Tower's Twitter:

SUNDAY 24th - We are very sorry to have to confirm that we will not be opening Alton Towers Theme Park tomorrow - more information to follow

It seems they've finally discovered bbc.co.uk/weather

But seriously, I'm pleased they are learning.

Well at least no-one can have any complaints about them not announcing it early enough in regards for tomorrow. This isn't a good time for Towers at all. The park has been dead since opening day due to the delay in The Smiler. They now have weather forcing the park to close for three days in a row at least. Then this ultimately will lead to more delays for The Smiler. I hope people do visit during Easter or Merlin will take a very dim view.

In terms of them closing tomorrow, I'm not surprised. There is light snow forecast on and off up until 8am tomorrow and temperatures are remaining very low. The forecast says it isn't going to be above -2C at Towers all day tomorrow so I'd imagine all of the coasters would have been closed all day even if the park could have opened.

I would still love exploring the park in the snow, the photo opportunities would be fantastic.... Almost, magical.

I am glad they've announced tomorrows closure, as from the looks of the situation, it looks like its not getting better any time soon!

I'd postponed my trip till Monday, not even convinced that is feasible right now either.

Gosh, I give them stick at times (well actually, more Merlin to be fair), but they are really up against it right now.

This has to be the most tumultuous 12 months I can remember for Alton Towers, with Merlin squeezing them last year, The Smiler, and the weather again.

Merlin should have supported the park better imo, in terms of throwing every man hour they can find at The Smiler to get it as close to opening as possible. I still cannot understand why they seemingly haven't.

The whole lot, still doesn't ring true to me - now another 3 days, maybe more, lost due to weather.

I just hope Merlin are being supportive here, and juggling any targets around now sensibly, so that Towers are not working against the tide the whole season again. However, we found last year how idiotic they can be - and they are at times, really really dense.

Oh dear, oh dear...
Still, I think they definitely made the right choice - I wouldn't have fancied visiting in the weather we've had this weekend, and didn't envy any of the staff who had to make the treacherous trek up to the resort on those already slightly scary roads, so definitely a good move.
It's ironic that February had problems because of nice weather putting too much demand on the park this year, and then just as Spring's allegedly beginning, all hell breaks loose in the troposphere!

Main concern now, as has already been mentioned is surely that the Smiler is going to face even more delays - perhaps it's time for them to start talking about June rather than May? Otherwise, hopefully back to business as usual from tomorrow - and best of luck to them :)