• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Resort closed due to snow

Wilsy

TS Founding Member
As we reported on TowersStreet News earlier:

Alton Towers have announced the park will be closed today due to adverse weather conditions affecting the resort and the surrounding area. Heavy snow has affected parts of Staffordshire overnight, with further snow forecast over the course of today.

The resort’s Twitter said this morning:

“Due to weather conditions, Alton Towers will not be opening today (22/03/2013). Pre-booked tickets for today will valid for another day.”

The last closure due to adverse weather was in April last year, where high winds meant the park was forced to close early and guests were evacuated from the park. Those who have pre booked tickets for today will be valid for another day during the 2013 season.

At present, it’s unknown if park operations will be affected over the weekend, but stay tuned to TowersStreet News and our Facebook and Twitter pages for updates as we get them.

We believe the roads are very bad, especially when coming in via Alton village. We do not yet know if the park will be open tomorrow.

We were hoping to visit the park today but had a feeling the park might not be accessible due to the weather :( never mind, plenty more days ahead!

Better that all staff and visitors are not trying to negotiate the roads in this weather around Alton, although this might be another day or two added to the Smiler opening date ;D

Can't say I'm surprised with the news I've been hearing about how bad it is around there. Hope it's open Sunday :/

Amazing the muppets complaining on Facebook that its closed. Who travels for hours to go somewhere without checking the weather first. Whats even more comical is that nearly everything has a weather app on it thesedays so there is simply no excuse whatsoever! Morons!

They would complain about no rides being open if the main park was to open, they would complain if the rides were open and it was to cold, they would complain if the parks closed, they would complain if they fell over and hurt themselves. All in all people will complain. Alton Towers did the best they could do.

Themeparkmania said:
They would complain about no rides being open if the main park was to open, they would complain if the rides were open and it was to cold, they would complain if the parks closed, they would complain if they fell over and hurt themselves. All in all people will complain. Alton Towers did the best they could do.
GaryH said:
Amazing the muppets complaining on Facebook that its closed. Who travels for hours to go somewhere without checking the weather first. Whats even more comical is that nearly everything has a weather app on it thesedays so there is simply no excuse whatsoever! Morons!

This all shows the massive downfall in our society, slowly but surely turning in to a nation that moans and maons and moans.

Think that they have learnt from last year when the weather was bad and have made a bold deciesion in my eyes. A big and huge well done to people in charge for this

Is it worth someone updating the front page of TST, which shows the park as being open?

I know I am being picky, and it would be difficult to miss the main article, and the section below, but it just looks a little odd.

Ian

Not really looking good for the next couple of days either, with no temperature increase forecast and more snow on the way tomorrow.

Sorry for the double post, but these are the conditions: (posted from Twitter)

BF9Eqt-CUAE7U1a.jpg:large

I can see why they shut the park, not many people would turn up in this whether and those who do won't stick around :) thanks for the photo

Park is closed again today due to more heavy snowfall, Towers have announced on Twitter within the last 20 mins or so.

Got to say, I'm quite annoyed.
Not that the park is closed, that was inevitable and what I had set myself up for, I understand why they have to and I agree that they should.
But I was on a group trip today, pre-paid. So we had to wait for official confirmation it was cancelled or risk the trip going ahead if we didn't turn up and losing out on the money we'd already paid.
This call could and should have been made yesterday. No forecast suggested the situation was going to improve, most said it would worsen. None predicted temperatures above freezing. We needed the official announcement of closure to know that we wouldn't be losing out on a fair amount of money we'd paid. Was in contact yesterday angling for this confirmation but they wouldn't give it. I know they can't know for sure until the day, but the forecast was pretty conclusive.

Yeah, it was obvious they wouldn't be able to open today. Why not make the announcement earlier? They deserve a bit of stick over this.

I can kind of understand Towers' position - there's no way they could say with 100% accuracy that the park would be closed, even if all the signs seemed obvious. As frustrating as it is, it is something that they could only make the call on the day itself.

I think a good few hours beforehand you should know where you are. Today's announcement timing is an imrovement on yesterday's ten minutes before opening, but people coming from further afield deserve to have been notified by 6am.

Replace 'Alton Towers' with 'school' and everyone would be in uproar if they closed the night before and no snow came.

Anyone planning to go today would surely have looked at the weather and come to the conclusion that it'll be impossible to even get to the theme park.

The nature of Mother Nature says nobody can ever accurately predict the weather. Towers wouldn't want to cut off their noses to spite their faces if the conditions improved overnight and they'd already told the world not to bother attempting their trip.

Being at such an altitude, there's no telling how much snow might or might not fall. I remember being snowed in up there one New Years Day despite a relatively minor snow forecast, and then getting a text from someone in Uttoxeter who said there was no snow there!

I can absolutely understand people being frustrated at not having anything in advance more than half an hour, but I'd rather they assessed the situation as close to the wire as possible to see if there was any chance of it opening rather than calling time last night and no snow falling!

Plus, I don't think it's Towers' sole decision on the matter.

Anyone thinking they have an issue with the park being closed is mental. I used to have to drive the roads around Alton to get to work and was once stuck on a country lane till 2am since not even AA could get to me. One wrong move on some of those roads and your in a field and thats only going to make the situation worse.

Besides could you imagine the stick they would get if emergency services had to be called in to rescue guests. Only in the films does snow snow everyoe in so they all get to cozy around a nice fire some where.

I had planned to visit Alton Towers today, and as such, was consulting their Social Networking profiles for further updates last night on the situation. I was we'll aware of the forecasts, however I thought it worthwhile to see what it was like in the morning.
As Lincoln was relatively ok, as is Nottingham (the route to Towers from here), and with minimal reports of too bad conditions in and near Alton, I decided to make the journey, starting at 7am. This was before any announcement or even a notice of further updates on any Alton Towers social networking. I have to say I'm disappointed in this as THORPE PARK of all places, managed to put out an update to their situation circa 6am. This was adequate time for long journeys that some customers have.
Alton left it quite late in my opinion. It doesn't take a genius to look at a park, and say if its going to be open or not. I understand the complexities of such an event but surely staff already on resort could have reported the full situation early enough for Towers to out out a report earlier.

I am not bitter, luckily I had only got halfway through my journey and as such could turn back. I wasn't angry etc, just wish communications were better. I understand its hard, but I just think they could do with reviewing things earlier than they did do this morning. Some people travel hours to the park and would need to know further in advance than two hours. That's just not enough time to make adequate decisions on journey times.

Some of you may argue I was stupid to even consider the journey, but when it's fine where I am, and the route to Towers, and no reports of major trouble near Alton, it didn't look unpromising at all, so I was in a reasonable position to decide to travel.

As an AP holder I just have to accept the day won't be on resort. My friend with whom I was visiting with booked last night and as such has a revalidated ticket, which is useful.

To clarify. I, in no way, blame the park for the decision and accept and understand it completely. I just wish they'd made the seemingly obvious choice (from their position) earlier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD