• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Resort closed due to snow

The park looked absolutely lovely today. Admittedly not much was open at all but I had a really enjoyable day. Strangely enough the coaster that was open the longest was Rita, Intamin's usually hate the cold. Air opened later on in the day as well.

Don't expect RMT or the monorail to open any time soon, they are both covered in snow!

:)

Really wish I could have made it up there today, it would have really been nice but will be there on Friday and over the weekend :)

I wonder, if you were to fit a snowplough to the front of the trains.... :D

I wonder how 'lovely' it would have looked to people who had traveled 3 hours to get there to find out that the majority of the park was closed.

Any news on how they are compensating people? >:D

Did anyone there today notice if the snow might be melting? I have my fingers crossed for Thursday but even if the snow has cleared the temperature is not that much above freezing. Have rides been regularly shut this season due to cold? :)

Crazy thought, but hear me out:
The UK sees it's worst weather around the end of winter / start of spring. Meanwhile, November and December are increasingly becoming more mild. I wonder if it may be in the park's interest to experiment with shifting the open season back a few month. So maybe stay open till just before Christmas, the close till Easter.
Thoughts?

Croftybaby said:
I wonder how 'lovely' it would have looked to people who had traveled 3 hours to get there to find out that the majority of the park was closed.

Any news on how they are compensating people? >:D

I didn't see anyone being given anything as compensation. However there was a queue for guest services at some point apparently and you would like to think they would have given people reduced if not free return tickets.

Saying that, there really weren't many people there today at all, they didn't even bother using the main car parks! And Towers did give a prior warning that not all rides would be open. Unfortunately I don't think they were able to open as many as they'd hoped either.

:)

DiogoJ42 said:
Crazy thought, but hear me out:
The UK sees it's worst weather around the end of winter / start of spring. Meanwhile, November and December are increasingly becoming more mild. I wonder if it may be in the park's interest to experiment with shifting the open season back a few month. So maybe stay open till just before Christmas, the close till Easter.
Thoughts?

It's true with our changing seasons....this should be taken into consideration!

Easter varies slightly from year to year but this year it's only two weeks after opening. The park usually closes 7 weeks or so before Christmas so your maths is not all together convincing haha.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

^ Fair point, but I figured if I said any later date people would cry "NOOO! they have to open for the Easter hols!" :p

Trouble is its so unpredictable, this time last year was scorching hot weather and November 2011 was thick snow.