• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Spa: General Discussion

jon81uk

TS Member
I just noticed in an email today that the Spa aqua rooms are closed until January. Is this the promised refurbishment and rebuild of the changing rooms and the outdoor log cabin moving, that they got planning permission for years ago?

That is a long time for the rooms to be closed but it will not be for the Spa expansion no, those plans have been shelved. I assume it is just some significant work that is taking place.

I've had a look and we don't appear to have a general Spa thread so I've decided to move this to Alton Towers General Discussion and this thread can be used for all Spa discussion.

:)

I hope then this is for a changing rooms rebuild anyway, as the last time we visited they were quite nasty, lots of mildew as the steam from the shower wasn't extracted properly. I guess if the exterior doesn't change they don't need planning permission, so they can fix the interior only.

The Aqua Relaxation Rooms are closed during the construction of the new hotel since it is so close.

It wouldn't be very relaxing using the Spa with all the construction noise so they have decided to close them. The treatment rooms will remain open.

Whether they chose to refurb any part of he Spa at the same time remains to be seen.

The Aqua Relaxation Rooms are closed during the construction of the new hotel since it is so close.

It wouldn't be very relaxing using the Spa with all the construction noise so they have decided to close them. The treatment rooms will remain open.

Whether they chose to refurb any part of he Spa at the same time remains to be seen.

I would argue that I would find the construction a lot more intrusive on the £50 massage compared to the £20 visit to the steam room and jacuzzi.

There may be something more to this. I was booked in to use the Spa on my visit at the end of July so thats only a few days before the first post here. When we arrived around 12.30 they were asking guests to leave and told us they were having problems with the systems running the aqua rooms. The techs were called out and said it may take an hour to fix but the Spa never actually reopened. It was closed the next day too.

We were given free tickets to the Waterpark for the inconvenience haha! No complaints from me.

Could this be some damage the construction work has caused the running of the Spa somehow? Now you've said that, it looks highly unlikely this was a long planned closure, they were still advertising the Spa facilities heavily on my over night stay last month.

I would be amazed if they close the Spa while the build the hotel and loose all that income from spa bookings. Must be a fault with the systems inside, perhaps as a result of the building work nextdoor cutting through a pipe or something

I would be amazed if they close the Spa while the build the hotel and loose all that income from spa bookings. Must be a fault with the systems inside, perhaps as a result of the building work nextdoor cutting through a pipe or something

They are still going after the income from Spa bookings, the special offer email listed severak packages of massages/facials etc and then noted at the bottom that the aqua relaxation rooms are closed 1st August until 21st January.

The online email is here but that for some reason only has the start date of the closure, not the January date.

Last edited:
From 1st August. Yep, this is definitely linked to whatever incident happened on 26th July.

From 1st August. Yep, this is definitely linked to whatever incident happened on 26th July.

it's more linked to hotel construction, conservatory has been removed and the access doors boarded up.

To lose nearly a year of Aqua Relaxation revenue is quite something...

Actually quite disappointed about this - I tend to visit 2-3 times per year.

Perhaps this will be the perfect opportunity to spruce them up a bit whilst the construction work is going on? They need work doing and I can't imagine they'd want to close them again to do it.

To lose nearly a year of Aqua Relaxation revenue is quite something...

Actually quite disappointed about this - I tend to visit 2-3 times per year.

I agree with your point, but August to January is not nearly a year ;-) its only just six months. Yes the spa will re-open in the theme park closed season, but thats actually a good thing for AT as it gives them an attraction at the hotel while the theme park is closed and they can try to make some spa break sales in February and March.

The Alton Towers Spa Facebook page have now announced that the Aqua Relaxation rooms will remain closed until 17th June 2017 and will re-open along with the CBeebies Hotel in June next year.

They have also stated that no plans to refurbish the Spa have been announced and the closure is due to noise pollution from the building work and the potential loss of electric and water supplies during the work taking place.

Wow. A full year of closure. That's really something.

Pretty shocking as well that the old plans showed quite a large extension the Spa facilities, whereas the new ones actually include demolition of the conservatories, and absolutely no refurbishment.

Merlin - giving ZERO craps, as always.

#worldsworstparkoperator

I find it bizarre that they aren't taking advantage of the place being closed to do a massive refurbishment. As it will now just sit there closed for half a year and then open the same. Then you can guarantee in a years time they will want to refurbish it and the spa will have to close again.

I thought as part of the plans for the hotel extension there was also plans to move the entrance of the spa to that side? Or were they the previous spa extension plans?

Wow. A full year of closure. That's really something.

Pretty shocking as well that the old plans showed quite a large extension the Spa facilities, whereas the new ones actually include demolition of the conservatories, and absolutely no refurbishment.

Merlin - giving ZERO craps, as always.

#worldsworstparkoperator

Are they removing the large bay window on the other side as well as the conservatory? If so then its going to be pretty dark and dingy in that spa and it will mean the loss of the Jacuzzi too.

It is completely illogical that they are not extending or refurbishing the spa during the closure I can only assume its lack of budget.....ridiculous when you consider how much profit Merlin make and how this would clearly be a profitable venture.

The CBeebies 'Land' Hotel will almost definitely be a vinyl plastered, sprog ridden hell for anyone over the age of about five so its frankly stupid they are not investing in adult facilities. A refurbishment of the changing rooms and general lick of paint does not count!

Last edited:
Don't worry, they will completely change their mind again before it gets built.

I find it bizarre that they aren't taking advantage of the place being closed to do a massive refurbishment. As it will now just sit there closed for half a year and then open the same. Then you can guarantee in a years time they will want to refurbish it and the spa will have to close again.

I think you nailed it.

I thought as part of the plans for the hotel extension there was also plans to move the entrance of the spa to that side? Or were they the previous spa extension plans?

That was the previous plan. The current one is pretty much the same but with less features.

Are they removing the large bay window on the other side as well as the conservatory? If so then its going to be pretty dark and dingy in that spa and it will mean the loss of the Jacuzzi too.

The CBeebies hotel basically butts up right against that side so I would imagine you're right about it being dark and dingy.

It is completely illogical that they are not extending or refurbishing the spa during the closure I can only assume its lack of budget.....ridiculous when you consider how much profit Merlin make and how this would clearly be a profitable venture.

Well they seem to be spending a hell of a lot of money on the resort side of things, more lodges on the way as well etc. Definitely not a lack of money, just a lack of common sense.

The CBeebies 'Land' Hotel will almost definitely be a vinyl plastered, sprog ridden hell for anyone over the age of about five so its frankly stupid they are not investing in adult facilities. A refurbishment of the changing rooms and general lick of paint does not count!

Haha! I agree. I also think it'll just be a bland, vinyl covered, boxy hotel with absolutely no imagination or magic put into it whatsoever. No nice theming. No quirky features or areas for kids to explore. Much like the Enchanted Village.

You can see just by looking at the plans that every room/public area is a simple box with no thought given to flow. Crooked Spoon is a great example of a tragically drab establishment built by Merlin. When I stayed in July, we actually just walked out of there in the middle of having breakfast because it was so bad. Actually atrocious. Finished off having breakfast in the Secret Garden instead. A much better place.