• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers: Sunday 16th April

Willemgorman1

TS Member
I visited the park yesterday and here is my full review.
First of all, let’s start with what i managed to ride:

• Wicker man (x2)
  • Thirteen (x2)
  • Rita
  • The Smiler
  • Oblivion
  • Galactica
  • Runaway Mine Train
  • Congo River Rapids (x2)
  • Spinjam
  • Battle Galleons
  • Marauders Mayhem
  • The Blade
  • The Curse At Alton Manor

Overall very pleased with what i managed to ride.

I was concerned at the start of the day when we headed straight to Thirteen and Rita only to find out both rides were not going to be ready to open for 10.00. Headed to Wicker Man and that wasn’t ready to open at 10.00 either. We stayed in the queue as we were near the front and it opened around 10.20. Thirteen did open at the start of the afternoon and Rita opened at 5.15 so all was ok in the end.

Now let’s look at the operations on the major coasters.

Thirteen - 10/10. Just fabulous. The queue never stopped moving. The staff were doing a great job on their, couldn’t fault them.

Wicker Man - 9/10. Again, fabulous operations. The trains were sent out quickly and the staff were doing a great job.

The Smiler - 9/10. Surprised how good the operations were as last time i visited they were terrible. The trains were getting sent out very fast which is probably the reason why the queue was only 30 mins!

Rita - 8/10. Better operations than last time i visited. The queue was moving slowly at the start but picked up the pace and they were getting sent out fast.

Galactica - 7/10. Average operations and there isn’t much else i can say. Just average.

Oblivion - 7/10. Again, average. Quicker than on my list visit though.

Even though this isn’t a major coaster, i would just like to mention spinjam’s operations. They were terrible and that is all i can say. Overall, the operations in the major coasters were very good and much better than previous visits. Thirteen’s were just amazing.

Now let’s look at the rides in more detail.

Wicker Man is such a fabulous coaster. The theming on this ride is amazing compared to all of the rest of the park. The station is amazing pre-show is fantastic. The ride isn’t rough and runs brilliantly. This is my joint no.1 coaster at towers currently (because nemesis is closed). One of towers’ best ever investments.

Thirteen is better than i remembered The drop track gets me every time even though i’ve ridden it a few times now. I’ve heard some people say the outdoor section is boring but you do get some good airtime and the first drop is really good. The downfall of this coaster is it is looking tired, especially near the bag drop area. I think a clean up around that area would really help.

Rita is not my favourite coaster at the park however it is still a good ride. I would like to see more theming updates on the ride as it doesn’t really fit the dark forest. However, i don’t think money will be spent on theming updates as i can see it being removed and replaced after Project Horizon.

Along with Rita, Oblivion is still good but not one of my favourites. I don’t find the drop as intense as other people say but it is one of the most thrilling rides on-park. I do think oblivion is starting to look tired especially in the queue line so would like to see some updates around the ride.

The Smiler is an amazing ride and it rides really well in my opinion. The things the park could do with the theme of this ride has some great potential but the state it is in at the moment is not good at all. The queue line looks awful with some of the fencing being broken and the walls covered in dirt and moss. The ride itself is very good. but the area around is not good at all.

Galactica is a really good ride and is very smooth. The restraints are really comfortable and i find the inversions quite intense. The station needs a major upgrade and i don’t think the theme fits with the Forbidden Valley area.

Wicker Man is the best attraction overall if you take into account theming, operations and ride quality. The other coasters need a good clean up and theming updates to make them them as good as the standards Wicker Man has set.

The Curse At Alton Manor:

I had high expectations of this ride with reviews i’ve seen, however, i must say i was slightly disappointed. It is a major upgrade to duel and the theme is very good but the ride was not scary at all. I would rate the ride a 8/10. Not saying it was a bad ride, just expected more.

Before i end my review, i would like to give thanks to the staff who provide a positive experience throughout, the staff on Rita when it finally opened were very pleased that people got to ride it in the end. The operator on marauders mayhem was very friendly and the team operating thirteen were fantastic. All the staff are amazing and deserve me credit!

I had a great day out at towers, i would like to see some general TLC updates at the park but operations were really good on the whole and the rides were brilliant.