• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

American Adventure Park

What beats me is the fact that they flattened all the buildings in 2008 to reduce the risk of trespass and arson, yet Camelot Theme Park and Loudoun Castle haven't flattened any of there buildings. Does anyone know who manufactured the Yankee Clipper pirate ship that I believe was refurbished back in 2005?

Once I enabled Flash it works a bit. The buttons don't do anything but it will show ride names etc when I hover over the numbers. Clicking on anything seems to break it though then I have to refresh the page. Pretty cool though. I went there when I was very young. I have vivid memories of Nightmare Niagra, a western-show and Sooty and Sweep (I think). I also have a very vague memory of sitting in a cave-like area watching the Twin Looper. Oh yeah, and crying after the rapids. I think I mentioned that in this thread already.

Thanks! Your site is very cool!

What beats me is the fact that they flattened all the buildings in 2008 to reduce the risk of trespass and arson, yet Camelot Theme Park and Loudoun Castle haven't flattened any of there buildings. Does anyone know who manufactured the Yankee Clipper pirate ship that I believe was refurbished back in 2005?
Up to the landlord and their appetite for risk, as much as anything.

It's was a Zamperla ride, a 'Galleon' model.

Those photos are awesome @CoasterMadMatt ! @WillPS demonstrating full AA geekery there, too!

Does this work for anyone? I can get it to play on my work Macbook but not my personal PC or Macbook. Weird. It's pretty cool, if you quickly want to whizz around the park and work out what is what.

https://www.themepark.org.uk/the-carousel/american-adventure-interactive-map-2003/

Thanks, I've been meaning to go through the old photobooks at home, I've scanned in the American Adventure and Alton Towers ones but still got the Drayton, Camelot and co ones to go.

I really loved the flying island, even if I was petrified on my first go (I remember it being a lot higher than it looked!) unfortunately whenever I've visited Efteling, their version is always closed for maintenance

Such promise ...

TheCarousel_BritanniaPark_EnterpriseMagazine1.jpg

TheCarousel_BritanniaPark_EnterpriseMagazine2.jpg

TheCarousel_BritanniaPark_EnterpriseMagazine3.jpg

More stuff here

Why was it that Britannia Park failed in the first place? I remember reading about it in Tales from the Towers (along with Wonderworld in Corby; both were touted as huge, Disney-scale developments at the time. It’s a shame they never fully materialised.), and I seem to remember something to do with the developer being charged with fraud, but I’m not entirely sure what led to its failure?

Yes, there was a major fraud investigation which saw Kellard and the chairman imprissoned.

When the park closed, ten weeks after opening, it had already racked up debts of £9.5M (bare in mind how long ago it was). Many of the creditors and companies involved in the park (including I believe Henry Cooper, the boxer who opened the park), were never paid.

When the park closed, ten weeks after opening, it had already racked up debts of £9.5M (bare in mind how long ago it was). Many of the creditors and companies involved in the park (including I believe Henry Cooper, the boxer who opened the park), were never paid
Ah right; thanks for the clarification @Ian!

Also @Matt N, it's probably not fair to lump something like Wonderland in with Britannia Park. Britannia Park did build 'something' - it wasn't finished, wasn't a great concept and was a disaster by almost every measure - Wonderland only built a sign, after all.

Arguably, Wonderland and London Resort are perhaps better bedfellows as long as London Resort remains in its current state.

In terms of the printed literature or the quality of attractions?

The themed attractions added in the Granada fully-owned years (1989-1996) were quite noticeably poorer in quality than what Park Hall had installed in 87/88 with John Rigby in charge. (Of course, they were at least adding decent attractions, which is more than can be said for the post-Broome THG years.)

Alamo still looked fantastic there. Not long after that guide was published the whole place was covered in blue paint to become the Gladiators Arena. It never really recovered from that.