• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ask GCI anything!

Sam

TS Member
Evan, one of the four engineers from GCI, is doing an IAMA on Reddit right now!

Make sure to ask a question and upvote it, I've already asked three. I'll compile the answers in this post as it goes along. :)

Q: Have you ever had the compulsion to build Mr. Bones' Wild Ride? I would ride it ironically and then immidietely regret that decision just to say I did.

A: Not in real life, no. Our customers like capacity.

Q: First of all, I love GCI coasters, each is unique and individually exciting. What would, in your opinion, is the driving factor and main component that makes a GCI roller coaster, part of the brand?

A:Smooth, exciting, fun for the whole family, low maintenance.

Q: 1) Which one of the roller coasters is your favorite?
2) How did you land this job? What requirements are necessary?
3)What's your favorite food?

A: 1) Mountain Flyer and Ozark Wildcat probably, but they're all pretty high up there. 2) I interned with Great Coasters first, and got a full-time job from there. Requirements? Civil/Mechanical Engineering degree, computer/CAD skills, knowledge of the industry, being awesome. 3) Skyline Chili

Q: Its been my goal to become a roller coaster engineer even since my early childhood. Now I'm in my junior year in high school and I'll be making big decisions about college and the future. I know its a job that is extremely hard to come by, would you have any advice for someone in pursuing this goal?

A: Network and make yourself stand out. Go to the annual IAAPA Expo.

Q: How often do you ride your roller coasters? Are you on one right now?

A:Not often enough. Sadly, I'm at my office right now.

Q: What's the coolest roller coaster you've ever designed? Is there one that didn't get built for some reason?

A: There are plenty that didn't get built. The coolest we've designed is probably Mountain Flyer in China. Great terrain, lots of possibilities.

(my question) Q: Hello Evan. I'm a huge fan of GCI, ridden four of your amazing rides (Apocalypse, Wodan and both sides of Joris). My question is, do you have rides in the pipeline for the UK, or more for mainland Europe?

A: Sadly, if parks haven't announced them, I can't be the one to do it. I'd love to build in the UK, though.

Q: How accurately are the forces etc. calculated before the ride is built?

A: Pretty accurate, and we're constantly refining our calculations.

Q: We've seen other companies like Gravity Group and RMC building inversions on their new coasters. If a park approached you, would you be able to put an inversion on one of your rides?

A: Yep.

For a long, long time, I've had a lot of respect for GCI.

The fact they're allowing enthusiasts to get in such close proximity to them, and offer such a human interface to their company, is quite frankly awesome!

They seem to like the personal touch at GCI, and I like that in an organisation. B&M might be the market leaders in design and manufacture, but you never get close enough to break through the mystery.