• ā„¹ļø Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Autism the thread

Think that's a new-ish thing. Noticed the security guard at our's standing guard at the bottom of the aisle the other day. Must be a xmas thing with all the people down there in this period. Or maybe you just looked like a right old thief šŸ˜†šŸ‘
I get that spirits is a high-value, high-theft-risk aisle, so it needs a lot of monitoring. It just felt like I was being singled out for some reason.

I get that spirits is a high-value, high-theft-risk aisle, so it needs a lot of monitoring. It just felt like I was being singled out for some reason.
Some people just discriminate against others for being different to them, although I don't know if this was the case in this situation.

Some people just discriminate against others for being different to them, although I don't know if this was the case in this situation.
Other than the headphones, I don't think there was anything visibly different about me compared to the other customers in the shop. It didn't help much either that there were people right in front of the bit I wanted to look at (why does this always happen?), so maybe it's because I was hovering around in the aisle or something. I dunno.

On the train back home from school today, there was a person (probably a couple of years younger than me) that was generally making fun of my autism eg. copying my mannerisms etc. However, it was only for about 5 minutes because they recognised what school I was at (a grammar school) and asked me some maths questions. They seemed pretty astounded that I could do 92 multiplied by 14 in my head correctly and left me alone.

On the train back home from school today, there was a person (probably a couple of years younger than me) that was generally making fun of my autism eg. copying my mannerisms etc. However, it was only for about 5 minutes because they recognised what school I was at (a grammar school) and asked me some maths questions. They seemed pretty astounded that I could do 92 multiplied by 14 in my head correctly and left me alone.
Does anyone else see asking strangers math questions a weird thing to do? Reminds me of the people who over enthusiastically ask me about what I do for work...

On public transport after school hours, between young people, no, not at all.
And asking "What do you do?" is nothing but an old fashioned ice breaker, to be alternated with "Are you well?" and "Shocking weather!".

Want to go shopping in London when it's quiet? Try a Friday morning. Was surprisingly enjoyable with nowhere near as many people around. Even my experience in Primark was actually not that bad!

Double-post from me (sorry šŸ˜› ). Tried something different over the past couple of weeks, despite my slight nervousness at not having done it for several years. Was actually nowhere near as bad as I remember it. Having said that, I'm kinda happy to have gone back to normal with this thing. Maybe I'm better at coping with certain kinds of change than I like to think I am, especially when it's something over which I have a certain degree of control.

Double-post from me (sorry šŸ˜› ). Tried something different over the past couple of weeks, despite my slight nervousness at not having done it for several years. Was actually nowhere near as bad as I remember it. Having said that, I'm kinda happy to have gone back to normal with this thing. Maybe I'm better at coping with certain kinds of change than I like to think I am, especially when it's something over which I have a certain degree of control.
Well now you've really sent my imagination into overdrive!

I don't actually think it's change itself that many autistics struggle with (at least not the the extent it at first seems) it's change beyond your own control that is

I don't actually think it's change itself that many autistics struggle with (at least not the the extent it at first seems) it's change beyond your own control that is
Yeah, I think you're right. If there's any change beyond our control, then it's important that we're given as much notice as we possibly can so we can adjust to the new whatever.

Bit of a random thing to add here but I do wonder if me writing up alternate history can be considered to be a little bit autistic much? I know this sounds weird to say but writing up what I do is something of an outlet to let out my frustrations which is helpful but yet on the other hand it can be looked on as something very autistic even for other autistic folk so I do find what I do personally a little off to some or am I just overthinking it as much? šŸ˜

Bit of a random thing to add here but I do wonder if me writing up alternate history can be considered to be a little bit autistic much? I know this sounds weird to say but writing up what I do is something of an outlet to let out my frustrations which is helpful but yet on the other hand it can be looked on as something very autistic even for other autistic folk so I do find what I do personally a little off to some or am I just overthinking it as much? šŸ˜
It is definitely not. My autism is only moderate but I love alternate histories and I'm sure that many non-autistics like them as well.

Bit of a random thing to add here but I do wonder if me writing up alternate history can be considered to be a little bit autistic much? I know this sounds weird to say but writing up what I do is something of an outlet to let out my frustrations which is helpful but yet on the other hand it can be looked on as something very autistic even for other autistic folk so I do find what I do personally a little off to some or am I just overthinking it as much?

I guess it could be classed as a special interest. If it makes you happy, who is anybody else to judge you for it?

If it's not harmful then alls good, I say this knowing autistics who have some very niche interests.

If it's not harmful then alls good, I say this knowing autistics who have some very niche interests.
Yeah, I meant to say niche. I know what I do won't get all the attention compared to other work I do on the side that actually has an audience which are football related timelines which have more appeal than one on some theme park in Staffordshire.

Suppose if I do have an audience no matter what size they are but are nonetheless supportive then that's all that matters.

Well, Christmas this year has beenā€¦interesting, shall we say. Not known whatā€™s supposed to be happening half the time. Had main meal in the evening on Sunday, which wasnā€™t too bad in terms of timing, but still not entirely ideal. Tasted delicious, though.

Still got a few presents to open tomorrow (currently on the M5 between Bristol and Birmingham), which will be nice. Wasnā€™t forced to take part in every single activity, which I appreciated - spent a good chunk reading. Was curled up on the sofa in front of the fire for a while yesterday evening with two of my aunt and uncleā€™s farm dogs by the fire - I honestly felt like I could get quite used to that. Wasnā€™t overly thrilled this afternoon when my dad tried to get me involved with a game of charades when he knows I donā€™t like it, but thankfully, one of my cousins didnā€™t participate either.

Four nights in an unfamiliar bed hasnā€™t been wonderful. Woke a couple of times the first night. Second night wasnā€™t too bad. Third saw me awake since 4:30am, and was running on fumes yesterday. However, last night was infinitely better - woke once during the night, but slept through until about 8:30 today. Even managed a 20-minute power nap in the car earlier, which has helped.

Quite looking forward to being back at work tomorrow before some time away for New Year. I sense more change on the horizon for 2023, but Iā€™m hopeful itā€™ll be positive change. I really want to get my mental health properly back on track, as 2022 has been incredibly difficult for me - a lot of you will know what I mean by that. If I can finally get this new tattoo sorted, Iā€™ll be so happy. Only had the idea since May 2021, but havenā€™t had the time or energy to get it sorted. Which really sucks - believe me!

Has anyone here read 'The Reason I Jump' by Naoki Higashida?
I found it a very interesting read, and could relate to most of the things mentioned in the book.