• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Autism the thread

@Connor98 I only asked yournage as if you were still in school the SENCO representative could help you push for a diagnosis. Best go to your GP. The National Autism society also has a lot of useful data.
Second the advice to look at the National Autistic Society. Their articles on the rules during the lockdowns were so helpful to me. Unlike the government's own advice pages, they actually made things clear as to what could and couldn't be done.

Thank you for your suggestions everyone. I’ve done two separate online tests and both have come back saying I’m very likely on the spectrum so that clears some things up, maybe I’ll talk to my GP about it. I’m 24 @Jb85 so I’m not sure what that means for me regarding next steps. And reading your posts I’m ticking every single box of Coasters, Beer and gay 😂 apart from I don’t seem to take much interest in Eurovision 🤷🏻‍♂️
Keep in mind being diagnosed as an adult is often a somewhat pointless idea, there's usually a lack of support available, it's why self diagnosis is a thing that's widely accepted in the Autistic community, if your autistic your autistic without a piece of paper saying so.

That said, see what your gp says and go ahead, I just want to warn you what might be the end result (kinda moot).

Keep in mind being diagnosed as an adult is often a somewhat pointless idea, there's usually a lack of support available, it's why self diagnosis is a thing that's widely accepted in the Autistic community, if your autistic your autistic without a piece of paper saying so.

That said, see what your gp says and go ahead, I just want to warn you what might be the end result (kinda moot).
I understand it doesn’t change much in reality but for me it’s just something to explain parts of my childhood and current issues I still struggle with. As I say above the online tests I’ve done have definitely come back to suggest that I’m on the spectrum but should I trust such tests? Would an online test class as self diagnosis ?

I understand it doesn’t change much in reality but for me it’s just something to explain parts of my childhood and current issues I still struggle with. As I say above the online tests I’ve done have definitely come back to suggest that I’m on the spectrum but should I trust such tests? Would an online test class as self diagnosis ?
Self diagnosis is just you having done enough research and spoken with autistics to be comfortable saying your autistic.

The fact your here like this kinda makes me assume you are.

Out of interest, what is it that people find wrong about the puzzle icon? I’m curious as it’s something I know quite little about.

You know you're autistic when you're looking at flights for Europa next year and have colour-coded them all in a Google Sheets document according to the airline used... :p

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I’ve recently realised something about myself that I considered might be related to my autism, and I was interested to know if any of the fellow autistics on here could empathise.

This might sound like a strange question, but the thing I’m referring to is; does anyone else feel slightly awkward or uncomfortable around small children?

It probably sounds strange, but I find that I feel rather uncomfortable around small children; I nearly always feel a bit awkward around them.

I think it’s something to do with the fact that I don’t really know how to interact with them, for lack of a better term. With adults, I know the “rules”, if you like, of how to interact with them and hold a conversation with them. I don’t really know how to do that very naturally with kids, though; whenever a young child, particularly a child of below 1, comes up to me, I don’t really know what to say to them other than something along the lines of “Um… hello!”. Everyone else in my family seems to have mastered an enthusiastic, smiley demeanour and very high-pitched voice whenever they interact with small children, but it just doesn’t seem to come naturally to me, and I just feel a bit weird and awkward whenever I try and interact with small children.

I wondered if my autism might have something to do with that… does anyone else feel the same way? Or am I just weird?

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I’ve recently realised something about myself that I considered might be related to my autism, and I was interested to know if any of the fellow autistics on here could empathise.

This might sound like a strange question, but the thing I’m referring to is; does anyone else feel slightly awkward or uncomfortable around small children?

It probably sounds strange, but I find that I feel rather uncomfortable around small children; I nearly always feel a bit awkward around them.

I think it’s something to do with the fact that I don’t really know how to interact with them, for lack of a better term. With adults, I know the “rules”, if you like, of how to interact with them and hold a conversation with them. I don’t really know how to do that very naturally with kids, though; whenever a young child, particularly a child of below 1, comes up to me, I don’t really know what to say to them other than something along the lines of “Um… hello!”. Everyone else in my family seems to have mastered an enthusiastic, smiley demeanour and very high-pitched voice whenever they interact with small children, but it just doesn’t seem to come naturally to me, and I just feel a bit weird and awkward whenever I try and interact with small children.

I wondered if my autism might have something to do with that… does anyone else feel the same way? Or am I just weird?
I definitely find small children harder to interact with compared to older children and adults.

I’m not autistic, hope it’s ok for me to comment, but I don’t find small children particularly easy to talk to either - so it might not be your autism.

In my experience, babies just scream and you have no idea what they want - it’s trial and error until the screaming stops.

Toddlers can’t form words or sentences properly so working out what they mean can be tricky, and their short tempers/attention spans can make it hard work.

Primary school age is when they start making sense.

Teenagers - they’re grumpy but can get their own food/drink/whatever so it’s fine.

Can’t really offer much advice tbh - except it’s perfectly fine to talk to children like they’re real people, in fact some of them prefer it.

Not just you. There's a bit of a running joke around these parts that I hate kids (not completely a joke, mind you ;)), but I too have very little idea on how to interact with them. I was at a wedding in August and was sat next to 2 perfectly well-behaved 18-month-old twins, and really didn't know what to do, other than talk over them. More recently I've spent Christmas back home with family and I have a nearly 2-year-old nephew who I just feel a bit awkward around. I want to make more of an effort but don't really know how without embarrassing myself, even if how I would end up interacting isn't socially considered "embarrassing" at all, and just "how you interact with young kids".

Now you've got me chatting, seems like a reasonable time to say that I'm pretty certain I sit on the autism spectrum myself. This is something I've only come to terms with in the last 6-9 months but the more I think about it and talk to other autistic friends, the more it makes sense. There are things I've been doing for years which are quite evidently "stims".

I suffer quite often with social anxiety, more often than I'd like to the point where I have to just remove myself from a situation, even if that means standing outside while everyone else has a good time. I struggle to cope with situations where I don't know exactly what's going to be happening even when it makes no odds to what I'll be doing - for example "who's coming round on Christmas Day? When are they coming? When are they leaving? Why haven't they decided whether they're coming or not yet?!" I typically hate loud bars/clubs/places where I can't hear the person next to me, unless I've had enough to drink that I just don't care (looking at you EP NYE party!). I feel I often overshare information - nothing personal or inappropriate but I find if I find a certain situation or topic interesting, I'll just info dump on someone.

Additionally, I've taken quite a few of the online autism self-diagnosis tests, and all of the results have pointed to being at least somewhat autistic. I don't feel the need to get officially diagnosed as I'm aware of how long the waiting lists are and even if I got an official diagnosis, it'd be more of an "oh ok, that explains a lot, cheers bye" rather than needing it for help. Someone who suffers far more than I would need that official diagnosis more!

So there we are, hello Autism thread, I guess!

I strongly dislike most children. Most of them are just really, really, annoying and badly parented so don't know better when doing things they shouldn't.

I'm not diagnosed autistic but I'm sure something isn't 100% neurotypical about me, just my reactions to stimuli are....off in way. I just accept I'm wired differently and move on I suppose. A name to it makes no odds.

I've never found it easy to deal with children. My nieces are 9 and 7.5, and they're quite different. The older one is easier to get to focus on something for periods of time, but the younger one? Good luck. The only things that seem to get her to focus on something for more than a few minutes are the TV and food. :p It'll hopefully get better as she gets older, but we'll see. I did have a number of jokes with my brother and his wife over Christmas about how my younger niece is very similar to me, which does raise the question of whether she's neurodivergent to an extent.
Not just you. There's a bit of a running joke around these parts that I hate kids (not completely a joke, mind you ;)), but I too have very little idea on how to interact with them. I was at a wedding in August and was sat next to 2 perfectly well-behaved 18-month-old twins, and really didn't know what to do, other than talk over them. More recently I've spent Christmas back home with family and I have a nearly 2-year-old nephew who I just feel a bit awkward around. I want to make more of an effort but don't really know how without embarrassing myself, even if how I would end up interacting isn't socially considered "embarrassing" at all, and just "how you interact with young kids".

Now you've got me chatting, seems like a reasonable time to say that I'm pretty certain I sit on the autism spectrum myself. This is something I've only come to terms with in the last 6-9 months but the more I think about it and talk to other autistic friends, the more it makes sense. There are things I've been doing for years which are quite evidently "stims".

I suffer quite often with social anxiety, more often than I'd like to the point where I have to just remove myself from a situation, even if that means standing outside while everyone else has a good time. I struggle to cope with situations where I don't know exactly what's going to be happening even when it makes no odds to what I'll be doing - for example "who's coming round on Christmas Day? When are they coming? When are they leaving? Why haven't they decided whether they're coming or not yet?!" I typically hate loud bars/clubs/places where I can't hear the person next to me, unless I've had enough to drink that I just don't care (looking at you EP NYE party!). I feel I often overshare information - nothing personal or inappropriate but I find if I find a certain situation or topic interesting, I'll just info dump on someone.

Additionally, I've taken quite a few of the online autism self-diagnosis tests, and all of the results have pointed to being at least somewhat autistic. I don't feel the need to get officially diagnosed as I'm aware of how long the waiting lists are and even if I got an official diagnosis, it'd be more of an "oh ok, that explains a lot, cheers bye" rather than needing it for help. Someone who suffers far more than I would need that official diagnosis more!

So there we are, hello Autism thread, I guess!
The whole social situation thing is something I've struggled with for years, Burbs. If I'm with a sizeable group of people, I often don't know what to do, and I sometimes feel as though I'm on the outside always looking in. I think it's why I sometimes struggle on meets, but find it easier when things separate off into smaller sub-groups. And this is in spite of having attended meets for over a decade! This past Christmas is quite probably the most stress-inducing one I can ever remember - largely because I didn't know what was happening half the time until not very long in advance. Admittedly, this was partially due to other issues (very long story), but it wasn't easy. Really not easy at all. In terms of info-dumping...guilty as charged. I'll very happily talk about things that interest me to anyone who'll listen, especially if I've had a drink or six. And especially when it comes to Eurovision. :p