• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Autism the thread

Hey all. Me again.

I think it’s quite inspiring reading people talk about there condition, difficulties and successes. Well done all.

It’s interesting to read and hear about people’s experiences during Lockdown. I’m sure the disruption to everyone’s routine has taken some getting used to and adaptation which I know is not easy.
I know in the past I’ve been able to “work from home” but I’ve always wanted to work from my office as I’ve always feared that the boss people may think I’m not working hard at home (so I usually work twice as hard) so working from home for me every day has been really testing. It has perhaps given me confidence in my abilities that I can work from hard and not get in to bother about my work time.

Does any one receive any additional support that they’d like to share experiences of? For instance do you work with an Autism charity? Do you receive help from the local authority? (Direct Payments?)
Personally I don’t, as mentioned before I would be eligible for PIP but choose not to apply. Equally I should be able to receive a Blue Badge, due to the extent of my condition but do not wish to use this yet - I may if my condition worsens as my Autistic tendencies are exacerbated by poor mental health. Currently in my job I am responsible for 5 supported accommodations - houses that are owned and operated by companies that provide housing for those with a learning disability including Autism - with a total of 30 residents who live there Andy receive on site support 24 hours a day but are free to go out and about as it I should not a residential home. This has really put thing in to perspective for me as most are significantly “more disabled” than I am and I feel lucky (if you can use that word) that my condition is on the functioning side.

Has anyone experienced problems or abuses due to there condition? Perhaps you may not want to discuss that on a public forum so I understand that. Just understand that I also deal with Safeguarding of Autistic adults so you won’t be shocking me - if you want conversation or discussion feel free to message me also.

Keep talking and being amazing guys

Hey all. Me again.

I think it’s quite inspiring reading people talk about there condition, difficulties and successes. Well done all.

It’s interesting to read and hear about people’s experiences during Lockdown. I’m sure the disruption to everyone’s routine has taken some getting used to and adaptation which I know is not easy.
I know in the past I’ve been able to “work from home” but I’ve always wanted to work from my office as I’ve always feared that the boss people may think I’m not working hard at home (so I usually work twice as hard) so working from home for me every day has been really testing. It has perhaps given me confidence in my abilities that I can work from hard and not get in to bother about my work time.

Does any one receive any additional support that they’d like to share experiences of? For instance do you work with an Autism charity? Do you receive help from the local authority? (Direct Payments?)
Personally I don’t, as mentioned before I would be eligible for PIP but choose not to apply. Equally I should be able to receive a Blue Badge, due to the extent of my condition but do not wish to use this yet - I may if my condition worsens as my Autistic tendencies are exacerbated by poor mental health. Currently in my job I am responsible for 5 supported accommodations - houses that are owned and operated by companies that provide housing for those with a learning disability including Autism - with a total of 30 residents who live there Andy receive on site support 24 hours a day but are free to go out and about as it I should not a residential home. This has really put thing in to perspective for me as most are significantly “more disabled” than I am and I feel lucky (if you can use that word) that my condition is on the functioning side.

Has anyone experienced problems or abuses due to there condition? Perhaps you may not want to discuss that on a public forum so I understand that. Just understand that I also deal with Safeguarding of Autistic adults so you won’t be shocking me - if you want conversation or discussion feel free to message me also.

Keep talking and being amazing guys

Well I'm 100% sure if I wasn't autistic the island security incident (see the security topic) would not have happened.

Currently I'm having the Incredibly crappy choice of making use of the excemption from mask wearing and risking full on freezing in public due to being confronted, or wearing a mask and going non verbal as a coping mechanism to cope with one.
Neither are particularly good options, and it takes a while after removing a mask to reset to normal.

Edit: I do have aac apps to help when the latter happens but they make me stand out even more.

Here is a dilemma I had today: the ride hosts didn't put times on my card. Should I have
A, Regulated my rides myself
B, Gone on ride after ride after ride.

Here is a dilemma I had today: the ride hosts didn't put times on my card. Should I have
A, Regulated my rides myself
B, Gone on ride after ride after ride.

In fairness most people would have done what you did. As said the right thing by other guests is to limit yourself but come on we’ve all seen people queue jump and do nothing. In olden days exit passes were a thing and the amount of people who kept hold of these and used them time and time again was huge. Personally I’d limit my self and my family but that’s mainly because nowadays I’m not about riding constantly.

In other news -
Has none used the app “bran in hand”? I’ve just secured funding (with support from my manager) for several of my service users to have a licence and I se it for an 18 month pilot. If successful we will be using it with more service users. Seems a real good , but pricey, service.

Has none used the app “bran in hand”? I’ve just secured funding (with support from my manager) for several of my service users to have a licence and I se it for an 18 month pilot. If successful we will be using it with more service users. Seems a real good , but pricey, service.
I've heard of it but couldn't figure out what it actually does.

I've heard of it but couldn't figure out what it actually does.

There’s a traffic light system where you effectively score how you’re feeling on a daily basis. Too many red days and support is offered. There’s diaries and reminders (which your phone can do also) and there’s over th phone support also. That’s what sold us anyway. There’s more that I’m learning about but no doubt when I have my engagement meeting I’ll find out what the real benefits are.

THORPE seem to have gotten better with interacting with autistic guests, notably no THORPE staff (including third party companies like pineapple) bat an eye lid at how I was communicating (using Speech Assistant and gestures).

If everyone everywhere acted like the island staff did when interacting with autistics life would be so much easier.

On BBC1's Ambulance last night, two paramedics helped a gentleman who was at home with family, including his autistic grandson. The young lad was distressed and kept hugging his grandad, so the paramedics spoke to him gently and got him helping with his his granddad's care, such as putting the footrests on the wheelchair. The transformation was magical and heartwarming to watch; he calmed down straight away and you could see the happiness on his face.

Once they were ready to go they made sure he was out of the way before they switched the lights and siren on. I take my hat off to those wonderful paramedics, and this is why I have so much respect for the ambulance service. :)

On BBC1's Ambulance last night, two paramedics helped a gentleman who was at home with family, including his autistic grandson. The young lad was distressed and kept hugging his grandad, so the paramedics spoke to him gently and got him helping with his his granddad's care, such as putting the footrests on the wheelchair. The transformation was magical and heartwarming to watch; he calmed down straight away and you could see the happiness on his face.

Once they were ready to go they made sure he was out of the way before they switched the lights and siren on. I take my hat off to those wonderful paramedics, and this is why I have so much respect for the ambulance service. :)
Now that's how to interact with us autistics :)

Does anyone watch Undateables? I love that show

Another show worth a watch is on Channel Four it’s called Home Free and covers you people with autism or an LD moving out of their family home and in to supported accommodation (the type I help manage) it’s very insightful

Does anyone watch Undateables? I love that show

Another show worth a watch is on Channel Four it’s called Home Free and covers you people with autism or an LD moving out of their family home and in to supported accommodation (the type I help manage) it’s very insightful
Just the name itself makes it seem all autism parentey...

Like many similar programmes, the Undateables is largely a modern-day freakshow. Just for the avoidance of doubt, I mean a freakshow as in person the public are sadistically fascinated by and laughing at.

Like many similar programmes, the Undateables is largely a modern-day freakshow. Just for the avoidance of doubt, I mean a freakshow as in person the public are sadistically fascinated by and laughing at.

See I would have to disagree. I find it inspiring and empowering in equal measure. Not all people featured on the show are autistic although it appears to me most are.
I think it is incredibly brave of these people to go on the show and be so open and honest at what is a very vulnerable moment and an intimate environment.

I’ve never laughed at any episode and don’t know anyone that has. It’s been well received in my client base and amongst colleagues also.
Even that one fella, Richard, despite his desire to be frugle and reluctance to travel outside of a specific radius from where he lives had redeeming features.

I have never told anyone, nor will I. I’m not scared of the fact, I just feel like I’m talked to differently when they do know. And when I do tell someone their attitude changes.maybe it’s just me on the defensive. I just don’t know.
I’m a store manager and trainer for a large company and have worked very hard to understand the ‘normal’ understandings of people and I’ve found that I am who I am, I don’t need to let people know, yeah I stutter and get anxious, but I find other ways to get around it and I’m sure you all do too. I think people are very ignorant to what we have and only the people closest to you do not judge. Please note this is my personal opinion to keep me positive so please do nog take offence. I have realised through years of understanding that we are extremely clever, we think of others, we take care and consideration where some don’t. I think having these disabilities show just how strong we can be and how we shouldn’t care what anyone else thinks, nor should we question ourselves :)

I have never told anyone, nor will I. I’m not scared of the fact, I just feel like I’m talked to differently when they do know. And when I do tell someone their attitude changes.maybe it’s just me on the defensive. I just don’t know.
I’m a store manager and trainer for a large company and have worked very hard to understand the ‘normal’ understandings of people and I’ve found that I am who I am, I don’t need to let people know, yeah I stutter and get anxious, but I find other ways to get around it and I’m sure you all do too. I think people are very ignorant to what we have and only the people closest to you do not judge. Please note this is my personal opinion to keep me positive so please do nog take offence. I have realised through years of understanding that we are extremely clever, we think of others, we take care and consideration where some don’t. I think having these disabilities show just how strong we can be and how we shouldn’t care what anyone else thinks, nor should we question ourselves :)
You've done really well to get where you are, you should be proud of that. :)