• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Awful School Shooting in America

If this is what the second amendment brings then something is seriously wrong.

I've just read about it on BBC News, this is absolutely dreadful and the same sentiment goes to every single attack that has happened in the world. It's a shame that humans feel the need to waste lives, especially such young ones.

As many people in the comments on that video have said, it's about time America got it's act together with firearms laws. Appalling.

Jesus, truly awful... But America needs to abolish firearms for public use.... So in a long winded way it's the governments fault.

Awful. Could this day go down in history as the one that led to the U.S drastically changing its firearm laws?

Probably not.

I'm no expert on this (I'm not an expert on anything come to think of it) but it seems that the right to own guns is just too engrained in their culture. People in some states just simply wouldn't accept it one way or another I fear. Even if the unthinkable happened and they did ban the civilian ownership of firearms, logistically, what would happen to the many millions of guns throughout the nation? They wouldn't simply vanish surely? People have spent a lot of money on those guns so how would that work? It's not like the economy would allow for a mass purchase of the existing guns from the public by the government really is it?

Tough situation really and good luck to the person who comes up with a workable answer to it. I thought Obama was very sincere earlier. Maybe he's duped me though with some great acting skills. Thoughts really do go out to all the victims in this including the friends and families. The families must be truly devastated and will never completely recover from this.

Let's not ever talk about anything ever again then because something just as bad or worse has happened in the past or will happen in the future ;)

I have the same feelings as you sometimes Diogo with regards to overly doing the sympathy thing but in my view this one is particularly tragic.

I've been reading a lot about the genocide in Rwanda recently where around 800,000 Tutsi's were wiped out by Hutu's in 1994 in the space of a few months, women, men and children. That is obviously worse than what has happened today but it doesn't mean that you can't care about humanity any more just because something worse has happened.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion though.

It's tragic. You're right Diogo, millions of people do die every day, but not in circumstances like this. It's obviously more publicised because it's the western world, but if anything that just highlights there isn't enough done in America to prevent this. I don't mean firearm bans, but nationalised mental health and institutions to help the perpetrators of sub tragedies.

Still. I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone near me, whether or not people die regardless, and I feel for all those grieving following this

When I first heard of this, my initial response was "another shooting in America? What a surprise".

But then when I read that 20 children were murdered, it made me feel physically sick, and actually quite emotional. I thought I was desensitised to the USA's frequent shooting sprees, but this really sinks the country to a new low.

How they can claim to be the greatest country in the world when stuff like this happens on an all-too frequent basis, I'll never know...

Maybe they should re-evaluate a persons right to a weapon every year to make sure they are still mentally capable and as soon as something traumatic happens in your life you shouldn't be allowed one until you have been checked out?

Joseph said:
Jesus, truly awful... But America needs to abolish firearms for public use.... So in a long winded way it's the governments fault.

They clearly need better / some gun control laws, it obviously should be harder for the deranged to do this sort of thing.

But it is one persons fault - the person who pulled the trigger. I hate the way excuses are made for the actions of criminals, it seems to happen all the time now.

Joseph said:

It's not really due to the government at all- Americans have a right to bear arms, right from the US Constitution. This is not going to change, no matter how many killings there are.

The argument about guns is absolutely pointless as well. People never consider the problems that banning them would create, such as, creating gang warfare and smuggling (much like the Prohibition) as well as the loss of jobs, livelihoods and protection. The thing is, there's no one considering banning things such as knifes and even bows and arrows. These can be just as lethal as guns, and in the hand of a maniac, will cause just as much damage as a gun.

Thats one thing that annoyed me about over here, the government passed an knee jerk reaction law to the Dunblane shootings. If that guy has run over kids with his car the government would not have banned cars.
I like shooting guns, I have done it in America at a gun range and it was great fun.

I don't see why Americas should be able to have guns at all time. They should be kept at a proper gun range under lock and key and you have to sign out your gun, use it at the range then sign it back in.

I know there are always going to be criminals that will use guns and I am sure a lot of home owners will claim they need it for self defence but there has to be a trade off to try and stop shootings like this happen.

Re: Re: Awful School Shooting in America

Nick said:
The thing is, there's no one considering banning things such as knifes and even bows and arrows. These can be just as lethal as guns, and in the hand of a maniac, will cause just as much damage as a gun.

That's a totally invalid argument because knives have a useful and indispensable practical purpose in every day life whereas guns don't.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Re: Re: Awful School Shooting in America

Sam said:
Nick said:
The thing is, there's no one considering banning things such as knifes and even bows and arrows. These can be just as lethal as guns, and in the hand of a maniac, will cause just as much damage as a gun.

That's a totally invalid argument because knives have a useful and indispensable practical purpose in every day life whereas guns don't.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Well that depends on the type of knife. Some are useful but some are just stupid and totally unusable for anything apart from looking 'cool' and causing injuries.

hunting+knife_608.jpg

I would not like to try and eat my dinner with that :eek:

If you defend the right of an individual to own a gun, than why not the right of an individual to own a nuclear bomb? They are both tools for killing that have no practical use to the vast majority of the population and have the potential to kill many people if the owner should so choose to use it.

The right to own an item which is only designed to kill or harm people, particularly items that can be used to easily hurt large groups of people, is not liberty. It robs everyone else of the security of their saftey.

I can't believe that another mass-killing has to happen for Americans to realise this. It's just beyond belief.

Meat Pie said:
If you defend the right of an individual to own a gun, than why not the right of an individual to own a nuclear bomb?

These two things have nothing in common, despite their ability to kill. The technology involved in a nuclear bomb means that the average Joe on the street can't just have get one or make one. As well as the damage that a bomb can cause compared to a shooting is infinitely times smaller.

The thing is, I don't like the use of guns privately, I just accept it's no going to change. Changing the laws now won't change anything as many would still follow the laws of the Constitution, and continue using the guns. And, considering people use guns for their defence, we could see a possible rise in theft to housing and property damage- and I understand that this is nothing compared to murder, but you have to look at the effects of both sides- as well as increased smuggling and gang-warfare.

Whether they are easy to get or not has nothing to do with it whatsoever. The point is, is it acceptable to allow someone to possess a weapon that has no other use, which can be used to kill whole large groups of people? The answer is unequivocally no.

I get the point about the logistics of transforming a widely spread gun culture into one where they are banned, but something has to be done. The status quo is unacceptable and with time, effort, and effective enforcement of law, banning guns will have a considerable effect.

Smuggling and gang-warfare would be a problem, but those are issues that are happening anyway and need to be dealt with. With effective policing, effective education programmes and effective tackling of social inequality, gang violence can be tackled, but this is a whole different issue.You can't just ignore the high gun-related death figures in countries where firearms are legalised because it might inflame other areas of crime.

Just replace the word 'Gun' with 'Bomb' and you can see that the very idea is insane. Would it be ok to have bombs legalised because it would reduce the risk of illegal smuggling and terrorist gang war-fare?

No. That's mental. It's mental to have any form of artillery legal.

And as for the idea that burglary and property damage would increase, I think you are wrong. If anything, I would predict that if it became harder for people to get guns, then they are less likely to have the confidence to actually carry out the crime unarmed and therefore you would see a fall in such crimes.

Generally, guns cause more crime then they prevent.

I completely agree.

It would have been better if weapons hadn't been invented, but, unfortunately, they have. And even more unfortunately, it's been written in the Constitution that they are allowed to be used. So, they're not going to be banned.

I'm just saying, people go on about guns when there's almost no chance they'll be banned. It's like trying to get Air's tunnel painted. :p