• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Barry Island Pleasure Park up in smoke

MattyH

TS Member
Favourite Ride
GIIBBB
Just seen some pictures on facebook of a fire at Barry Island Pleasure Park.

25aiwt2.jpg

6iqlg8.jpg

160r1qf.jpg

Upon further inspection, it's not quite as dramatic as I first thought, my appologies.

Just says a lot that there has been a fire there and it hasn't been reported anywhere, not even in local news.

The pleasure park at Barry is very depressing these days. It has pretty much been left derelict for years, with the owners only having a very small selection of funfair rides squeezed in.

As far as things stand the park will not reopen in 2015 as the current owners have left the park and no new parties have shown interest.

The whole site needs to be demolished and started over again.

I don't think it's been on the news because it seems to be a deliberate fire by the teams demolishing the ride. The wood will be too old to be realistically able to be recycled, so the easiest thing to do is burn it on site instead of pay to get ride of it.

Sad times to see closed parks in this state though. It'll no doubt be housing before we know it :(

Luckily the council do not want housing on the site. They want to keep it as a leisure site. Whether it actually stays as a leisure site though.. who knows.

There's something about those pictures that look very very sad.
Hmm, could it be the dark ride being incinerated?

There was no hope in saving the ride though. Also very saddening to see what appear to be the severed legs of Uncle Frankenstein left on the top. Strange times..

It is indeed the dark ride, The Haunted Mine!
The actual roof caved in back a year or so ago and the beams were completely rotten to the point you could not go inside it.
They have started to pull it down, but for some reason they have stopped..leaving it looking even worse than when they started...