• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

BBC theme park being built!

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
It has been announced that a BBC theme park is to be built. Just to clear something up, I'm not talking about Paramount London or London Entertainment Resort or whatever they're calling it. I'm talking about a completely different project. "But where in Britain is it being built?" I hear you ask. Well, it's actually being built on the Island of Hainan in China. The park will contain themed areas based on BBC programmes such as Top Gear and Planet Earth, and I think it might be one of those deals where the BBC has lent the theme park rights of the channel's programmes to some rich Chinese investors. What do you guys think about this new park? I personally think it's a bizarre idea, and it just shows how appealing China is to build a theme park in when the British Broadcasting Corporation of all people are building there instead of in the UK. Are the BBC immensely popular in China or something? On a side note, why is China (or Asia in general) so appealing to build a theme park in? Is it the booming economy? Or is land cheaper in Asia? Or is it some other reason that I don't know about? It must be pretty appealing whatever the reason, because in the 2016 TEA Attendance report, they reckon that by 2020, theme park attendance in Asia will be higher than theme park attendance in the USA.

P.S. Sorry for the long post.

In Asia countries like UAE and China are investing so much in theme parks because of they are one of the biggest tourist attractions in the world. Theme Park since the 80's have been getting bigger and bigger and now Asia wants a piece of the pie.

Also, The theme park probably isn't going to owned by the BBC, just that it'll use BBC IP's, like LER will or Cbeebies Land does.

In Asia countries like UAE and China are investing so much in theme parks because of they are one of the biggest tourist attractions in the world. Theme Park since the 80's have been getting bigger and bigger and now Asia wants a piece of the pie.
I was more thinking why do companies only seem to invest in Asia and not elsewhere in the world? (Although Eastern Europe and Turkey also seem pretty popular.) I can count the number of new major theme parks being built outside of Asia on two hands.

I was more thinking why do companies only seem to invest in Asia and not elsewhere in the world? (Although Eastern Europe and Turkey also seem pretty popular.) I can count the number of new major theme parks being built outside of Asia on two hands.
Companies do invest in other parts of the world, See Poland for example huge investment there at the moment.

But with Asia for example they invest there as the country is developing and there is a rise of a middle class and a rise in a potential market.

But let's get back on subject before this turns into a Geography lesson!

In a lot of those areas they are starting ffom scratch or close to. China is slightly different because the population is so vast.

Britain experienced the same in the 1980s with the establishment, or huge expansion of Alton, Thorpe, Chessington, Camelot, Granada Studios and American Adventure. The Pleasure Beach, Drayton, Flamingo Land and Lightwater also established themselves in their current forms during that period too.