• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Becoming a job "stat"

NickT04

TS Member
Hi all,

Was wondering if I could bore you all and pick your brains about a little dilemma I have.

Basically in October I handed in my notice and left my steady, alright pay for someone who still lives at home job. My reason for this were I was bored of the job, it was a very simple operating job in a factory. My three month stint had turned into three years and whilst not wanting to sound big headed I went to a decent school and knew myself that I could achieve much more than putting metal in a machine one end and getting it out the other.

I asked if there was anything in the future that I could work towards, a promotion, pay rise, more responsibility, anything... Fair play to them though, they were honest and said the job was the job and nothing was likely to change. I had already in my mind decided to leave at the end of 2013, so had been saving money hand over fist to prepare a wad of cash I could live off while unemployed. The final straw however was being told the job was the job, and then being left with two new employees to "train" even though I had previously been told I wasn't able to do this. Now the job is easy when you've been there three years, but for a newbie there is a lot to take in very quickly - which I appreciated. The bosses did not however and as I was the "trainer" I was getting the grief for their honest mistakes, I was being expected to do my job, as well as be in another two separate places at the same time and my reward was an earful every other day - so I decided to leave two months ahead of my plan.

Now the point of this thread is I haven't "signed on" because a ) I'd put money aside and b) I don't believe you can when you quit a job. I also wouldn't want to sign on unless I was desperate. My Dad however keeps mentioning to go to the job centre to "become a stat" and let them know I'm unemployed. I personally cannot see the point of this, I'd rather use the 40 mins it would take me to get there on foot by searching online, writing cover letters etc. Does my Dad have a point?

I've had interviews since but I'm open minded about what job I have, I don't have a "career" in mind but whatever job I do get into I'd like to turn into a career - however so far I've been blown into the water by other peoples experience, but that is a reality - I've still managed to get an interview without the experience which has impressed me.

So basically, will letting them know I'm unemployed be useful, or will I just become a pointless digit in a BBC News release in three months time? Would appreciate your opinion, views and knowledge - cheers!

Well first thing that strikes me from your post is the unfortunate stigma that society at large put on relying on Jobseeker's Allowance. If you are a Jobseeker, looking for work, especially in this economy that was broken by the banking industry, it is your right to claim some money so that you can live and expand your ability to travel to find work. That said, I am fairly sure that you cannot claim for a period of time if you quit your job, and if you have significant savings you have to first live off of those before claiming, but the point still stands that you shouldn't have to wait till you are 'desperate' to claim, nor should you feel guilty for doing so. It's not scrounging, it's living. The real scroungers are the big boss men raking in the profit from the hardworking people, not the poor sod who wants to find a job that meets his skills and attributes.

I wasn't aware that you could just go sign on as a stat, but if you can, then I am fully supportive of you doing so. Not because it will in particular benefit yourself, but precisely because you will be an added digit that the press will report. The current government has been able to lie to the public and press by saying that unemployment is down and that they've got more people into work. The truth is, they made huge cuts to the public sector meaning mass job losses, and then hired private companies to take over, who then in turn hired people to do the jobs that had been cut (often at a much reduced rate). Thus meaning a huge proportion of the figures that the Government has claimed that the private sector has made in the last 3 years has actually just been a movement of public to private with little net gain employment. Now for the more relevant part of their lying to this topic, the government only uses figures of people who are either on JSA (or are announced as unemployed as I have learnt from yourself?) as the official figures. This means that they can make the figure of the unemployed seem less than it is. Also they are allowed to discount people who have long-term sanctions put upon them, or sent on unpaid (slavery) Work-Fare schemes from the unemployment list, and as to exploit this to their advantage, they have ratcheted up the number of sanctions they put on people for insignificant issues and the number of people forced onto Workfare. This all distorts the truth and allows the Government to lie to the people.

If there is a way for which you can add yourself to the stats without having to claim, then I would enthusiastically encourage you to do so for the sake of truth. If all unemployed people who don't claim JSA did so, the Government would find it harder to lie.

Re: Becoming a job "stat"

I think you're asking people to qualify your own morals and political beliefs here, and not sure you will find a satisfactory answer.

I would agree with your Dad personally. There is a misconception of the number of people out of work at the moment. Many people are in work but on zero hour contracts, others like yourself don't necessarily need to claim benefits, and others chose to be stay at home parents/housekeepers etc. However the only way support will continue to be provided to those in my view who need it are if there is a realistic view of the number of people out of work.

I can see why you feel you don't need to claim. However there should be no shame in signing on, no matter how politics/media want to sell the idea of scrounging on benefits. This is a modern world where social recourse is integral to maintain quality of lives. Whether you want to sign on though is down to your own political view.

What is important is doing what is right for you. If you can spend that 40 minutes a fortnight doing something more productive to finding the job you want, than do that.

That being said, it is only 40 minutes a fortnight, and who knows, there might be something at the office that can help you find the job easier than you could otherwise. They have access to jobs that you might not find elsewhere. As a worse case scenario, try it for a few weeks and see how it goes, if you don't find it useful, don't go back.

There is this stigma attached to JSA, I don't feel ashamed to say I have claimed it before, when I moved location, and admittedly, I had found a job before I got my first payment, when the payment went in, it did help cover a few bills we were struggling with. (Edit: I feel the need to explain why the payment took longer to arrive, we had to put in a claim to be allowed JSA as I had voluntarily left my previous role)

Not claiming JSA, is like not claiming Child Benefit when you have children, or State Pension when you retire. You have had a job for three years, paid your taxes, and now its your turn to get some help while your looking for your ideal job. Under certain circumstances, JSA can be paid when you have voluntary left your job, so you still might be able to apply.

The only other bit of advice I would offer, is have you thought about getting a part time job working somewhere that is similar to a hobby. Craft Shop/Computer Shop/Theme Park/Other Hobby just so that when you do find the job you want, the employee is not going to look at your CV and question why have you been out of work for 6 months?

I think the unemployment figures are twisted by politicians on both sides, when ever you see the conservative party talk about job creation, the figures only ever include private sector. It would be great to have a number of zero hour contracts published along side the unemployment figures to see just how big a number is.

Ian

You will (eventually) be entitled to Contribution Based JSA - that is money based on YOUR contribution to the pot.

I believe it's important to get signed on as soon as possible regardless of whether you are entitled or not to any money yet. I'm sure it's got something to do with NI contributions but I don't have the facts to hand right now.

I got on very well with my Jobcentre and they were very supportive of me.

Nick - I am in the same situation as you, left my job for similar reasons and didn't sign on immedietely which was a mistake. Get the ball rolling now in case you get into difficulty later. With any luck the Jobcentre will support you properly - but it's hit and miss on what advisor you get.

Good luck!

Re: Becoming a job "stat"

Signing on for Jobseekers Allowance will protect your Class 1 national insurance contributions. If you have worked and paid NI contributions between April 2011 - April 2013 then you're entitled to Contribution Based JSA (money you've put into the system).

Making a benefit claim is also the only way to cover yourself for references in the event of needing security clearance for a future job (its classed as checkable history).

Bear in mind if you have left a job voluntarily then you may be at risk of having your benefit stopped, based on a Decision Maker's decision - you must declare your last job and reasons for leaving when starting a claim. Should your benefit payments be stopped, you can still sign for your NI conts.

If you are claiming Contribution Based JSA then your savings are not taken into account until you move to Income Based (six months after your claim start date).

You might be a stat, but you must claim what you're entitled to :).

Please give me a shout if you need any more help! When I have a few spare moments I will be back to debate the figures ;)!!

Sent using Tapatalk

Many thanks to you all for your replies.

It would seem that it will do me no harm at all to at least pop my head in the door and explain what is going on, the worst case scenario being I am in the same situation as I am now!

Sorry for taking a while to reply, been job hunting ;)