• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Beginner photographer

I am thinking of purchasing my first "proper" camera and I am unsure of what to look for. I'm kind of getting to grips with slr, dslr and bridge definitions but when I start looking at the specs and reading reviews...I just become boggled! ???

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and received!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

It all depends on what you want to learn with. If you're going to go for a DSLR, then you have to make sure you're making the right decision, as you can't really go back once you've gone for it. Great deals on the lower spec Canon DSLR's such as the 550D, 600D and 1100D can all be found on the Canon outlet (where I bought my first SLR from, all refurbished as new by the way). One of the absolute key, and most understated spec on any DSLR is the sensor size (as opposed to the number of megapixels) - as a good quality sensor that isn't crammed with too many megapixels will give better quality pictures in lower light levels. A good article on this can be found here.

You also have to consider though that if you go with an SLR, you have to invest in the lenses eventually, which can be quite an expensive process (if you get into it). Generally with the camera you will get a standard 18-55mm kit lens which is perfectly fine for taking standard photos, however you'll find yourself wanting more zoom sooner rather than later, and so you'll have to purchase another lens to cover that.

I could provide more advice about lenses if you really wanted, but I think I'll let you make your mind up as to whether an SLR is for you first! :)

I would go with DSLR. The Nikon D3200 is a good starter, and can be usually bought for a good price thesedays. The photo quality is superb. Yes, you have to invest in lenses at a later date - but... many of the lenses will work with the higher spec cameras, so for example, once you outgrow that camera, you can keep the lenses, and buy a much higher spec D7100 and use the lenses on that.

If you want to get into professional photography, then getting to know a DSLR is a must.