• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2021 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I saw a short video on youtube recently of the ride testing, and you could see the boat approaching the window before disappearing backwards.

So the backwards drop is still there at the moment. There were some rumours that it was going to be removed, although not sure how they could do that.

I suspect it is still going to be far too wet to ride unless you have a change of clothes or its a hot day. It would be nice if they could stop the buckets of water that tip into the front of boat on the sharp turns but I fully expect it to still be an issue.

Looks interesting (if you like this sort of thing)
e481d8899e597d025d9cae0a0c36418d.jpg

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

On the subject of Valhalla, am I the only one who’s not a huge fan of it?

While I’ll admit it is/was a very impressive ride, it was just far, far too wet for my liking; it was 30 degrees the day I did it, and I still came off feeling like a block of ice! I was certainly desperate to warm up, and the ride felt like more of an endurance test for me than something I especially enjoyed.

Also, while I won’t deny that the ride’s effects were very impressive in places, it was quite different to what I was expecting in terms of storytelling, and didn’t strike me as the most immersive attraction; I was under the impression it was an immersive, story-driven dark water ride, with a story that was clearly told through the ride’s effects and various scenes, but I was never entirely sure what was going on, and even now, I’m still not entirely sure what the story of Valhalla is actually supposed to be. I know a big, thrilling water ride like Valhalla will never be the most cohesive in terms of storytelling, but prior to riding, I was under the impression it would be akin to Disney’s Splash Mountain, where the long, slower sections were used to tell a story through animatronics and special effects, and the drops were merely thrills in the middle. I don’t know if I’m just being ignorant here, so I apologise if I am, but Valhalla’s slower sections just seemed like a lot of stretches of darkness and jumpy, ghost train style moments that didn’t really blend together or make any sense? Perhaps I was just expecting the wrong type of thing from Valhalla, in fairness; after all, I guess Blackpool Pleasure Beach isn’t really a park that does theming and storytelling.

Personally, I haven’t even done that many water rides (some in the UK & most of the major Florida ones), and it definitely isn’t among my personal top 5 water rides. To be honest, I’m unsure if Valhalla would even make the top 10 for me based on my 2019 ride, but I know I am in a substantial minority in terms of not being a massive fan of Valhalla.

In terms of the GTA, however, I can certainly understand it; I’m clearly wrong about Valhalla, as everyone else seems to absolutely love it!

The problem with this hobby of course is that you are often aware of what is to come in a dark ride before you get on, especially with something like Valhalla which has been around for a long time so reviews and opinions are all over the place.

For me, my first ride on it was something like 2004. I had no idea what to expect just got on and went for it. Compared to everything else at Blackpool it just blew me away, I came off opened mouthed, it was more of the scale of something at Disney, not a seaside amusement park in England.

However if you have high expectations before going on, or you have read that it’s full of effects etc I can see why it might not blow you away so much.

On the subject of the River Caves thing posted above; correct me if I’m wrong, but that wasn’t part of Journey to Hell Freak Nights in 2019, was it?

On the subject of the River Caves thing posted above; correct me if I’m wrong, but that wasn’t part of Journey to Hell Freak Nights in 2019, was it?

It's new this year I think.

Amanda Thompson's really pleased about Valhalla's prize, but slightly disappointed that the Wild Mouse didn't win anything.

Did it not win in the "best coaster to have been bulldozed" category?

On the subject of Valhalla, am I the only one who’s not a huge fan of it?

While I’ll admit it is/was a very impressive ride, it was just far, far too wet for my liking; it was 30 degrees the day I did it, and I still came off feeling like a block of ice! I was certainly desperate to warm up, and the ride felt like more of an endurance test for me than something I especially enjoyed.

Also, while I won’t deny that the ride’s effects were very impressive in places, it was quite different to what I was expecting in terms of storytelling, and didn’t strike me as the most immersive attraction; I was under the impression it was an immersive, story-driven dark water ride, with a story that was clearly told through the ride’s effects and various scenes, but I was never entirely sure what was going on, and even now, I’m still not entirely sure what the story of Valhalla is actually supposed to be. I know a big, thrilling water ride like Valhalla will never be the most cohesive in terms of storytelling, but prior to riding, I was under the impression it would be akin to Disney’s Splash Mountain, where the long, slower sections were used to tell a story through animatronics and special effects, and the drops were merely thrills in the middle. I don’t know if I’m just being ignorant here, so I apologise if I am, but Valhalla’s slower sections just seemed like a lot of stretches of darkness and jumpy, ghost train style moments that didn’t really blend together or make any sense? Perhaps I was just expecting the wrong type of thing from Valhalla, in fairness; after all, I guess Blackpool Pleasure Beach isn’t really a park that does theming and storytelling.

Personally, I haven’t even done that many water rides (some in the UK & most of the major Florida ones), and it definitely isn’t among my personal top 5 water rides. To be honest, I’m unsure if Valhalla would even make the top 10 for me based on my 2019 ride, but I know I am in a substantial minority in terms of not being a massive fan of Valhalla.

In terms of the GTA, however, I can certainly understand it; I’m clearly wrong about Valhalla, as everyone else seems to absolutely love it!
Agreed. Worry not!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Visited yesterday on a full price ticket (albeit with bluelight discount) and although my heart initially sank when I saw coach loads of kids streaming to the park entrance (how many schools have a dayout to a theme park the week term starts?) most rides had minimal waits or were walk on (apart from Icon which remained on one train)

Also stayed at the Big Blue Hotel for the first time, which I was very impressed with.

Just noticed that the boulevard hotel is now £15 per night for car parking. It was £5 last summer.

Parking is also 12pm till 12pm so you will likely need £30 for a one night stay.

Free parking at the Henson though for the jolly boys sleepover. Not long now

Parking is also 12pm till 12pm so you will likely need £30 for a one night stay.

Big Blue won’t let you park the second day without a second nights stay. So if going to the park the night after the hotel you need to move the car before going into the park or leave the park to move the car before noon. they really should have designed the hotels with underground parking or something. The 12-12 thing really doesn’t work for one night stays.
free on street parking though!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.