• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2023 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I think the definition of 'resort' will change considerably if Universal opens in the UK. Not sure this is a strong strategy from Pleasure Beech going forward but it does show how much value they now put in the hotels.

Although I agree in general it doesn't show anything about the park or the ride, but if the images are only used in places where people already know the product (like their own social media) that doesn't matter as much as promoting the specific event
Oh absolutely. My concern is I haven't actually liked the BPB Facebook page, and I receive the same ads myself. They could tailor the post to show differently to those already 'liked'

That said, I notice the ad shows differently today - There's an 8 second video with some quick cuts of on-ride POVs. Even the video's thumbnail is a more sensible choice

bpb_ad.png

"More than you expect" is a very bold tag line in my opinion.

I don't think it's a bad line but it is making a claim that you will have a better day out than you are expecting - A very bold claim indeed !

I think it’s an awful tagline, and speaks for a perceived and self-defeating defensiveness by the park. Presumably it’s to be interpreted as an alternative way of saying “we’re not just a seaside funfair”. But my initial thought was that it just reflects the current gate price…

In the glory years of BPB, in the nineties and at the turn of the millennium, the park transcended this perception quite easily. Now it is on the back foot.

Why not ‘Rides, Shows, Hotel Resort., or similar?

More than you expect? Hmmmm, what if it is less than I expect, do I get a refund?

I watched some of Blackpool vs. Notts Forest on TV last night, noticed that there were BPB adverts on the electronic boards at the side of the pitch. I do find the re-brand to Pleasure Beach Resort strange, removing Blackpool from the name. Pleasure Beach Resort could be anywhere, whereas Blackpool Pleasure Beach is famously known to be in Blackpool!

Could anyone make out what the squiggle bit was in the advert pitchside?
And just love Beach adverts on the telly when they are shut for a few months.

They do seem intent on trying to drop anything positive to do with their history. BPB is pretty unique as it has a real cultural place in our social history. It is this I believe that BPB should be targeting. Stimulate the memories people have of past visits and make people want to re-visit these.
"Blackpool Pleasure Beach: where memories are made"

One really major thing that I find confusing about their advertising: they aren't actually targeting anyone in particular. Ahead of the season starting they should be targeting parents of families to get them booked in. These are the people that plan ahead. When the season starts, they should be targeting teens/ thrillseekers - these are the groups that are likely to plan a visit at shorter notice.

Visited once this year in the 6 week summer holidays and i couldnt beleive how quiet it was. The only 2 queues were for valhalla which took an hr due to it going down a few times and the big one and that was due to the poor operations.

From coming as a kid when it was free entry the park has declined a lot it looks dirty most of the rides look tired. The woodies are soooo rough i refuse to ride them and infusion is just a big no a head banger. The operations are shockingly slow. There doesnt seem to be that much investment in the upkeep of the park. Few new attractions the food is terrible.

The merchandise is actually good quality and a nice variety.

My prediction is within 10yrs BPB will be either apart of Merlin or another themepark group.

"More than you expect" literally reads as 'not as ***** as you were expecting.'

Who is coming up with this stuff?
The funny thing is that is literally what that means. It's not really a tagline you can put on merchandise is it. Well, unless they start selling underwear 😂

Going back to the previous page and the lack of footfall at South Beach. The solution to that would be to scrap the current pricing model at BPB and have free entry again. That would give more of a reason for people to venture down there, like people used to do years ago.

Going back to the previous page and the lack of footfall at South Beach. The solution to that would be to scrap the current pricing model at BPB and have free entry again. That would give more of a reason for people to venture down there, like people used to do years ago.
I think you are right in that more people would be physically on the park... just not in a positive or profitable way. Back in the day when free entry was a thing - the park was a crime hotspot. Drug dealing and pick pocketing was rife.

I also believe that offering "free entry" will more than likely down-grade people who would be more than happy to pay full price, rather than up-sell free entry people on-park.

The issue with BPB being quiet is the ineptitude of their marketing which has been widely discussed over the last few days, and [I believe] nothing to do with the entry prices.

You can't simply keep blaming the marketing.
The choice for non riders used to be ten pounds.
It moved to 30 to 50 overnight due to covid.
There is now no second option.
Large numbers of groups no longer go because of the "one price doesn't fit all" policy, which would be fine if the park was busy, but it really isn't.
I know, because I have been a member of the "No options, we aren't going" groups on four occasions over the last two seasons, friends, family, and now even thoosie group visits not happening.
Groups of six, eight and eight not visiting because two non riders would not pay thirty quid to wander piles of steel and pink concrete that smells of wee.
So we all didn't go.

Offer good value for a reasonable product, and the punters would come.
One size does not suit all, and it shows.

Free entry doesn't feel appropriate for somewhere like BPB (many reasons for this) but making everyone pay full price for an attraction where non-riders don't really have any benefits can be a real turn-off for visitors, as mentioned above. With other parks like Towers, Chessy, Legoland, Paultons (not so much Thorpe) - there are a range of things for non-riders to access that make paying to enter feel better value than just walking around a densely concrete & steel populated area.

Something that could work as a better pricing model for BPB would be, as some have already mentioned, a full price rider option & a cheaper non-rider option (both subject to dynamic pricing for peak/off peak times). A non-rider entry could include a set amount of game tokens, a food/drink voucher, money off the shop for example... offering better value to the non-rider and also, promoting footfall to games, retail and food outlets that people may not have had a budget for otherwise, especially on quieter days. There is of course, an issue of non-riders who would have happily paid full price just to come with friends and family now having a cheaper option and getting something from it in the process but, it's important to get people through the door - groups in particular.

And they have lost a lot of the stag and hen groups that used to be a stable income to the park.
You aren't going to get that lively group of ten who hit all the bars with a vengeance if five don't want to do the big rides.
And to repeat an old one...The only place I have had my pocket picked, ever...BPB (Resort/Whatever)...in the days of a very busy park under free entry.
Footie hooligans, prostitution and petty thuggery of every variety.
Nothing like the park now.
Go back to a tenner for the train, maze and river caves, that worked just fine.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.