• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2023 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Blackpool is very much a pilgrimage town for the good people of Glesga.

The affluent working classes of England went off to Spain.

The mighty working classes of Glasgow then invaded the town, and it is a great time to visit the Beach.
Party time in Crevettes, every year.

Reactions: Tom
Not just Weegies, but from all over Scotland too who make Blackpool their own and honestly by this point, I'd vouch that nearly of BPB's guests are Scottish, little wonder why Revolution was sponsored by a certain Scottish drink to appeal to that mob north of the border.

They still do suffer the tartan invasion in most of the Scottish school holidays, but they aren't really the main catchment.
I don't think the park targets us as core visitors anymore. When I was a kid they certainly did, but there is very little in the way of targeted marketing [as far as I have seen]. Towers and [in my experience] Drayton Manor seems a lot more focussed on my homeland.

I would actually say that Blackpool as a whole doesn't tarket Scotland as they once did. I'm originally from the east coast, and when I go back the majority of advertising/ promotion I see seems to be for the blue rinse brigade.

Again, when I was a kid there use to be lots of coach day trips to BPB and Blackpool. Typically leaving at 5am and leaving BPL at 6-ish. I remember them typically including a book of tickets for the Beach or a ticket for Towerworld. You don't see this anymore, which is a shame because they were always packed.

They may not advertise, but they extend opening a little and do at least one of the fireworks/later openings in the Scottish holidays.

...and dammit, I missed pigeon weekend...
Top sale...somewhere around seventy grand apparently.

Does anyone know if you can replace the photo on a season pass? Someone foolishly assumed it'd auto centre on submission, and it doesn't. Asking for a mate cough

Pleasure Beach social team having a bit of a mare today.

First off they attempted a joke at Towers expense in terms of late night opening. Don’t think they actually counted the number of Scarefest/Fireworks/Alton after Dark dates before posting it though.

IMG_6034.jpeg

Then they really show themselves up by making a ‘hilarious joke’ about being able to identify as they want in 2024.

IMG_6035.jpeg

How they think any of this will help their brand is beyond me 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:
The Blackpool Destination Guide 2024 arrived in the post today and apart from an advert, there's nothing more on the Pleasure Beach, where as there are features on the tower circus, zoo and even Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen.

Pleasure beach doesn't even identify as based in Blackpool now. Seriously this park is having an identity crisis, I'm not sure why being an amusement park isn't good enough for them anymore. It was only the other week they were rebranding as a resort

First off they attempted a joke at Towers expense in terms of late night opening. Don’t think they actually counted the number of Scarefest/Fireworks/Alton after Dark dates before posting it though.

IMG_6034.jpeg

Then they really show themselves up by making a ‘hilarious joke’ about being able to identify as they want in 2024.

IMG_6035.jpeg

Just a bit silly isn’t it - they know that kind of joke will rub plenty of their guests the wrong way.

Comes from the top though doesn’t it, when the guys at the very top seem to have an attitude of ‘we do what we want and if you don’t like it, tough,’ it’s no wonder that mindset extends to the marketing team.

The Blackpool Destination Guide 2024 arrived in the post today and apart from an advert, there's nothing more on the Pleasure Beach, where as there are features on the tower circus, zoo and even Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen.

Does the Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen attraction include Fasttrack and VIP experiences?

IMG_6034.jpeg

IMG_6035.jpeg

What brand? They don't have one.

IMG_6034.jpeg

IMG_6035.jpeg

Who let Amanda have the password to the PB account?

I found this video from AdventureMe to be really quite interesting. It gives an idea of the scenes that are being changed. It also looks like they have worked on the reliability of some of the effects such as the lady in the frame and the boiler.

I love videos like this... i never understand why the park doesn't do them.

Just came across this photo which I don't think I have seen before. It clearly shows the extended layout of the Grand Prix ride (formerly Turnpike), the pony rides and crazy golf.

grandprix.png

Not sure when the Grand Prix ride was shortened? Possibly to make way for Avalanche ? or was it shortened earlier than that ?

Trying to work out when the photo was taken . I think you can just about make out the log flume station and start of the ride on the far left , so that would make it no earlier than 1967, and I think the gold mine façade is there so that means it is at least 1971 . It doesn't look like the Tom Sawyer bridge is there which I think was constructed in the mid 70s (could be wrong), so I am guessing this photo s from the early 70s

Any other ideas as to when it was taken ?

EDIT: On the website I found it on, it says it was taken in April 1972 - I should pay more attention :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I spot the Reel!
And the worlds slowest speedboats (top right).
I think the Goldmine was being finished, so closer to 70 than 80, and no Rev, or tarmac down towards the Steeple, just the old rolling dunes.
Mandy's pony rides towards the bottom left, and my favourite sandy playground of youth centre right.
Edit...The shops next to the Goldmine, above the Magnolia Cafe have not been built, so I would say 70/71...
Nice one shakey...jog on.

IMG_6034.jpeg

IMG_6035.jpeg

Beyond embarrassing. And yet more proof that they don’t understand their market or what they themselves are meant to be positioning their brand as.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.