• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2024 Discussion

I don't agree. At least for a few years - mainly because it would be the most amazing marketing tool. If BPB actually learn to do marketing.

"The only British park ever to go BIG... twice."
"A hypercoaster is any roller coaster to reach over 200ft. We've done it twice."
"The Hypercoaster league table: London 1, Blackpool 2"
"The Big One in Blackpool was a right of passage... now there is the Bigger One"
And so on...
The only problem with that is that Thorpe Park have also gone over 200ft twice. Yes, they have only had “the UK’s tallest roller coaster” once, but they have still gone over 200ft twice, as Stealth is also 205ft if I’m not mistaken.

Interestingly, Thorpe are now one of very few parks in Europe to actually have multiple coasters above 200ft!

But my point is that Blackpool couldn’t say things like “The only British park ever to go BIG… twice” or “Hypercoaster league table: London 1, Blackpool 2” because with Stealth also being over 200ft at Thorpe, Thorpe have also done this twice.

The only problem with that is that Thorpe Park have also gone over 200ft twice. Yes, they have only had “the UK’s tallest roller coaster” once, but they have still gone over 200ft twice, as Stealth is also 205ft if I’m not mistaken.

Interestingly, Thorpe are now one of very few parks in Europe to actually have multiple coasters above 200ft!

But my point is that Blackpool couldn’t say things like “The only British park ever to go BIG… twice” or “Hypercoaster league table: London 1, Blackpool 2” because with Stealth also being over 200ft at Thorpe, Thorpe have also done this twice.

You should point this out to the Thorpe marketing team! London 2, Blackpool 1 :p

Totally got my numbers wrong. Whoops.
200.gif

I don't think the 235 claim is too outrageous . It clearly isn't the official height but the first thing you see when you go over the top is the sea so I don't think its too naughty to put the height from sea level.

I don't think the 235 claim is too outrageous . It clearly isn't the official height but the first thing you see when you go over the top is the sea so I don't think its too naughty to put the height from sea level.
At least it becomes a moot point when Hyperia opens because it won't be the tallest by either height.

Hello, I'm new here and just wanting to join the conversation. I'm Ares, and I'm a long time coaster enthusiast that's recently become enthralled with the concept of revitalising BPB. My professional background is in marketing and investing, and aside from wanting to just talk coasters, I'd love to explore the communities idea about what BPB is, and what it should be - from brand identity to target audience, ticket pricing, park theming and attractions. I have my own thoughts which I would love to share, but I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a UK resident too situated within an hours drive from the park, so rest assured im fairly local and plan on attending the park this year.

At least it becomes a moot point when Hyperia opens because it won't be the tallest by either height.
Do Thorpe have to do anything to prove it's the tallest coaster in the UK. It's possible (however unlikely) that they didn't build it that high and as its UK records they don't even have to prove anything. Blackpool would've needed the world record types to measure and certify it's true height to take the world crown from Magnum XL-200.

Chiming in with the new ride discussion. First of all, I firmly believe Amanda was not being honest about parts for Ice Blast, and that it will remain SBNO and not return to operation before removal at the end of the season.

It would then make sense that a replacement drop tower comes to the park, with a Zamperla Z-Max at a maximum height of 80m (263ft) would return the height record of the UK's tallest attraction, and drop tower. This would be an affordable, and timely investment that they can boast about, well, if they could do marketing correctly that is.

Alternatively to a Zamperla Z-Max, Norway's 'Stupet' at Kongeparken cost them around 3.1 million euros and also stands 80m tall, produced by Funtime.

If this were the case, I would expect a drop tower to be situated around where the Grand Prix spiral currently resides, leaving the rest of the plot free for future development once Avalanche is removed within the next few years.

I don't expect BPB to build a new record-breaking coaster, primarily due to costs.

I do agree that the park needs a new statement ride that appeals to the GP, but overall the core demographic should be that this is a family-oriented park, and with future removals of Avalanche for sure within the next few years, and then possibly Revolution, Infusion and Steeplechase - there needs to be sufficient capital available to replace those with family rides and family-thrill rides.