• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2024 Discussion

What about the inversion world record. Mack stryker with 15 inversions. Could say, fair enough to Merlin, they took the UK height record, but BPB will take your inversion world record. That's definitely marketable.

What about the inversion world record. Mack stryker with 15 inversions. Could say, fair enough to Merlin, they took the UK height record, but BPB will take your inversion world record. That's definitely marketable.

Something like that would probably require a lot of space, and speaking from a purely personal point of view, I cannot think of any reason why I would want to go on a roller-coaster that goes upside down 15 times ! Not sure where the enjoyment is there.

Something like that would probably require a lot of space, and speaking from a purely personal point of view, I cannot think of any reason why I would want to go on a roller-coaster that goes upside down 15 times ! Not sure where the enjoyment is there.
The theory of a 15 inversion caster is great. What The Miler has taught is [in my pinion] is it's great when it's smooth, but it doesn't age gracefully. In the Smilers state last season I don't think another inversion would have been welcomed.

Plus, I would suggest that Merlin done a blinder with Smiler's theme and without that the coaster would not be adored anywhere near as much.

Totally agree with this. Never seen the appeal of coasters with a silly number of inversions. By silly I mean say more than 5 or 6 at most. Some of my favourite coasters don’t have any at all.

Not all of us are blessed with iron stomachs, I wouldn’t fancy the chances of your good self, my good self & @rob666 coping with a 15+ looper especially after a pint in Crevettes.

They need a coaster that packs a real punch, which in my opinion Icon doesn’t. I’ve said it before, but I’d love a B&M dive machine that’s not just a one trick pony like Oblivion, which is great for what it is, but can’t hold a candle to Sheikra. I’m amazed that in 26 years no other dive coaster has opened in the UK.

Which reminds me, happy 26th birthday to Oblivion & @MathewLancaster

Totally agree with this. Never seen the appeal of coasters with a silly number of inversions. By silly I mean say more than 5 or 6 at most. Some of my favourite coasters don’t have any at all.

Not all of us are blessed with iron stomachs, I wouldn’t fancy the chances of your good self, my good self & @rob666 coping with a 15+ looper especially after a pint in Crevettes.

They need a coaster that packs a real punch, which in my opinion Icon doesn’t. I’ve said it before, but I’d love a B&M dive machine that’s not just a one trick pony like Oblivion, which is great for what it is, but can’t hold a candle to Sheikra. I’m amazed that in 26 years no other dive coaster has opened in the UK.

Dive Machine like Valkyria would be fantastic

I've done Sheikra and it still does not hold a candle to Oblivion. I've seen videos of other drop coasters all taller, faster and longer than Oblivion and they all just look so... meh for some reason

I’m amazed that in 26 years no other dive coaster has opened in the UK.

I can't realistically imagine where one would have been built in the UK. I guess the issue might be they're very big and expensive to make at that scale so only really Merlin could afford it and where would they build it? Wouldn't get permission at CWOA or Lego, already got Stealth (and now Hyperia) at TP plus they'd be competing with themselves to a degree.

they'd be competing with themselves to a degree.
  • B&M Inverted Coaster x 2 - Nemesis Reborn & Nemesis Inferno (they even share a name)
  • B&M Wing Coaster x 2 - The Swarm & Mandrill Mayhem
  • Intamin Hydraulic Launch Coaster x2 - Rita & Stealth
  • Intamin Rapids Ride x 2 - Congo River Rapids & Rumba Rapids
  • Vekoma Mad House x 2 - Hex: The Legend of the Towers & Haunted House Monster Party
Those are just off the top of my head.

Something like Valkyria would be amazing tbf. I know B&M Dives are a bit marmite but i personally really like them.

• B&M Inverted Coaster x 2 - Nemesis Reborn & Nemesis Inferno (they even share a name)
  • B&M Wing Coaster x 2 - The Swarm & Mandrill Mayhem
  • Intamin Hydraulic Launch Coaster x2 - Rita & Stealth
  • Intamin Rapids Ride x 2 - Congo River Rapids & Rumba Rapids
  • Vekoma Mad House x 2 - Hex: The Legend of the Towers & Haunted House Monster Party
Those are just off the top of my head.

Well i did say "to a degree". It's not realistic for every attraction to have a USP, though i'd say the likes of Stealth vs Rita and Swarm vs Mandrill are different enough.

So for our Requirement specification we will have:

1) Must beat 236 feet (Not to sea level)
2) Must not have too many inversions
3) Must fit in an area of (Insert here)
4) Must not have grey track
5) Must run more than one train
6) Must be marketed (Not just in Blackpool)

any more...

How much did Smiler cost? I’m sure someone like Vekoma or Zierer would be up for this? Or even Zamperla. A cheap, but alternative manufacture.

If Pleasure Beach wanted to take back the UK height record then you’d think that a Red Force clone would be the most logical choice. It would give the park both the height and speed record and by nature of its LSM launch it wouldn’t face the same wind downtime issues that PMBO has. It would look great on the skyline as well and serve as as advert for the park. It wouldn’t necessarily have to be quite as tall as Red Force and I’m not sure if there are any limitations in place for a ride of that height seeing as they are near an airport.

Sure, the ride experience would be very similar to Stealth, less punchy launch but much bigger height, but I don’t think the public would care about that too much. They’d just see it as an enormous ride and I think it would capture people’s imagination.

Edit - Does the work that Zamperla did on TTD2 mean that there is now scope for them to offer parks a less expensive version of the Intamin Accelerator gigacoaster?

Last edited: