• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Does anyone know what's going on with The Big One? It seems to have been down the past couple of days despite the wind speed being low.

EDIT: It seems to have reopened this evening.

Last edited:
Did anyone go to vampire beach ?
How was it ?

Heard the fireworks were cancelled due to the wind so guessing the big one was shut ?

Any more news on the mouse ?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Twas busy shakey, cold and windy, very busy and mainly dry...resorted to speedypass on arrival...made Jamie touch it.
No mouse news, dark and forbidding.
Might see you next week.

Sounds like it was still a good day despite having no fireworks.

As rob666 pointed out, the park will have been missing capacity on The Big One, Wild Mouse and Flying Machines which pushes queues up elsewhere, I like to call it the Merlin effect.

Was the busiest I have seen BPB in many years yesterday. Shame the fireworks were cancelled but totally understandable. It was blowing a gale.

Plenty of decorations around the park especially the North. Great to see it so busy. Let’s hope the spare pyro from this week goes into next weeks display.

Twas busy shakey, cold and windy, very busy and mainly dry...resorted to speedypass on arrival...made Jamie touch it.
No mouse news, dark and forbidding.
Might see you next week.
I will be there for the duration on Thursday. My last visit of the year.

There's a pint in it for you if you can catch me.

I think we can safely say that the mouse isn't just closed for a simple case of maintenance. Starting to think that your source of info that it's closed for good may just be correct.

And we all know how reliable your info usually is Rob. Anyway when are you expecting all the wood to arrive for icon ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I think we can safely say that the mouse isn't just closed for a simple case of maintenance. Starting to think that your source of info that it's closed for good may just be correct.

Have you considered that it closed early because it needs maintenance work doing to it before it can run again, but that maintenance work won't actually be done before the park has closed for winter?

I feel like every year since 2012 I have been writing this but I'll do it again, can we wait for confirmation of its closure and removal before crying about it? RollerCoaster spent the majority of the 2009 and 2010 seasons closed, it re-opened in 2011 with a new lease of life following structural changes and many cosmetic changes.

Pleasure Beach were well within their rights to cancel the fireworks last Saturday, the weather was horrific.

Have you considered that it closed early because it needs maintenance work doing to it before it can run again, but that maintenance work won't actually be done before the park has closed for winter?

Yes, that is a possibility, but if that is the case then why don't the park put out information to reflect this.

How about a simple message on their website saying something like this...
"We apologies for the continued closure of the wild mouse, it requires extensive maintenance that can only be carried out after the end of the season. This will enable us to have the mouse fully operational again for its 60th birthday next year"

But all the website says is "Closed due to maintenance"

The lack of definitive information coming out of the pleasure beach is not filling me with confidence to be honest, especially with the other rumours about its closure. It is one of the most popular and unique rides that the park has and I think they should at least be providing some more information as to what is happening.

... can we wait for confirmation of its closure and removal before crying about it?

I won't cry about it Scott, but that doesn't mean it won't be a travesty if it does close for good in what should otherwise be a very exciting season.

But in the end it is a decision for the park to make, I just wish they would be more forthcoming with what they actually know.

Yes, that is a possibility, but if that is the case then why don't the park put out information to reflect this.

How about a simple message on their website saying something like this...
"We apologies for the continued closure of the wild mouse, it requires extensive maintenance that can only be carried out after the end of the season. This will enable us to have the mouse fully operational again for its 60th birthday next year"

But all the website says is "Closed due to maintenance"

The lack of definitive information coming out of the pleasure beach is not filling me with confidence to be honest, especially with the other rumours about its closure. It is one of the most popular and unique rides that the park has and I think they should at least be providing some more information as to what is happening.

I won't cry about it Scott, but that doesn't mean it won't be a travesty if it does close for good in what should otherwise be a very exciting season.

But in the end it is a decision for the park to make, I just wish they would be more forthcoming with what they actually know.

shakey, agree 100% with this (and not just because you're a fellow Yorkshireman), it would be nice for a more detailed statement coming out from BPB on this given that it is such a unique, historic and chuffing insanely fun ride, loved not just by ride nerds but by the casual punters too, as confirmed in many overheard conversations this season from folks gutted that it was closed for the given day. Of course the possibility remains that rob666 is winding us all up, with his info from a Nostradamus-like 'reliable source' (who cannot be revealed under pain of death!) that the rodents have supposedly carried their last passengers already.

Hopefully in Spring 2018 you can all form an orderly queue behind me to call BS on Rob as we all ride the Mouse once more. Until then we must hold out hope, but as shakey has said the lack of detailed info from the park is concerning

I would be more than happy to be kicked up the arse about this in the Mouse queue next year.
More than happy...even by bloody Tykes, in clogs.
I only passed on info from someone who has not told me any fibs about the park before, over a lot of years.
I would love to be proved wrong...now excuse me while I skive off for the afternoon to the Beach...see you Thursday shakey...playing out then Dippy?

Maybe the lawyers have told them to keep it closed while litigation is ongoing?

I don't know if there is litigation ongoing, but there was an incident a few weeks ago wasn't there? Perhaps they have decided to keep it shut rather than risk a prohibition order being slapped on it, and all the negative press that would follow.

EvUIwTZ.jpg

Do you guys think Blackpool would get the new vehicle/restraints? It's hardly the safest ride in the world and if they are having problems with litigation for other rides, surely it would be cheaper to get a few new vehicles than get sued. (I haven't been on this for years so I am assuming it's still just a seat belt "holding" you in).

Cool, that's awesome to see Steeplechases potentially springing up again. 'Various vehicle theme options' sounds interesting. How about a Dr Who themed ride with Daleks instead of horses?!

I really don't see how anyone would consider Steeplechase unsafe, it might be 'just a seatbelt' but is that seatbelt really going to fail? The belts & their locking mechanisms will be checked frequently and a rider's hand would not be anywhere near the belt release whilst riding. The belts are tightened well by the ride ops anyway, it would be a billion to one chance of anyone 'falling off' a Steeple horse, surely.

I have only been on it once ~18 years ago and hated it thinking I was going to fall off all the way around, so maybe there's hyperbole in my statement of it being unsafe. I still think its a valid question as to whether Blackpool would look at updated restraints, given the media sensitivity to recent accidents and the on going issues with the mouse restraints.

Daleks floating around BPB would be a magnificent image but I'd want a built in voice changer :D

Regards the Wild Mouse, the Pleasure Beach have made it very clear why it is currently closed, they state it is closed for maintenance. They have absolutely no need at this point to expand on that, I am sure when they have some news to share about it, they'll do just that.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.