• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Blackpool must be one of the few places on Earth that can never have enough hotel space, so bring it on!
I've only stayed in the Big Blue once, and found it a bit odd. It was trying so very hard to be posh, and failing utterly. (Still beats ATH though).

I still say the best place to stay is the Travelodge right across the road from the park entrance.

So after a bit of a more detailed look;

-The Star and two other buildings are being demolished. One of these is the current hotel guest park entrance to the left of the gate but it’s not clear what the other building being demolished is.

-Coasters seems to be staying.

-The left most part of the hotel elevation drops to two storeys. The layout also appears to follow a very similar one to the current Coasters building. My best guess is this means the Coasters building will be repurposed for use as part of the hotel. It could even extend further down Ocean Boulevard, but my money is on just Coasters for now.

-The site left after demolition is considerably deeper than the Big Blue and it does sounds like this will be reflected in the hotel being set back from the road, probably to include some car parking (although space for 120 rooms of cars is a big ask).

-The new bar/restaurant looks to have a patio facing out onto the front.

-As the existing hotel guest entry to the park is going, there should be a new form of entrance (hopefully with extended opening) which form part of the plans.

-There’s nothing to say the new hotel couldn’t butt up to the Big Blue and cut off the gated entry, however I’d guess this is unlikely as it would cut off that vehicular entrance to South Park.

Now it's just a question of when the Steeplechase will be refurbished. Also, It sounds like S&S might be re-doing the Revolution next!

Last edited:
That was always the intention but for whatever reason, either footfall or just not finding the right tenants, the units have gradually fallen into disuse. Hopefully with another hotel and the likes of the refurbed Horror Crypt we’ll see an upswing and more units will come back into use.

That was always the intention but for whatever reason, either footfall or just not finding the right tenants, the units have gradually fallen into disuse. Hopefully with another hotel and the likes of the refurbed Horror Crypt we’ll see an upswing and more units will come back into use.
Agreed, the idea was good but there’s just no link to anywhere. It should be a place to go on its own. If they have more rooms hopefully they will get better clients. Not sure how this would do out of season though

I wonder what they're going to do to make the big blue a premium option? Is it just going to be better rooms or will there be park-related perks? ERT? All-day entry/exit via the south entrance vs only the start and end of the day?

It would be nice if they were aiming at turning the Burger King area into an evening time FY4, with places for the hotel guests to eat/drink.

Late-Night-Facebook-Shared-1200x630-1024x538.jpg

Back for 2018! Same number of dates in 2017 but none in April and an extra one in July to make up for it. Will be interesting to see where they launch the fireworks from.

Great to see it returning. I know there was talk of it not happening because of Icon taking up the firing site. Having looked at the area on the last weekend though it’s probably still possible to launch from a similar location even with Icon. They are also really popular days so it’s got to make sense financially to keep running them.

2018 shaping up nicely!

does it run further than just the Star site and into the disused Coasters building?

I’d hope that with the increase in guests at this end of the site the hotel guest entrance could be expanded so you can access the park for a longer period than the currently short window in the morning. Perhaps even an exit too?

Here here. Yes perhaps it will run a fair way along Ocean Boulevard, I can't see 120 rooms fitting onto the Star area alone. It will be good to see another decent hotel near BPB, a more affordable alternative to Big Blue. I hope they get permission.

It really would be superb to see South entrance finally reopening, what with increased visiting numbers from Icon and most likely this hotel opening.

Will be a little weird to see the Star go as it has been there since the very early days of the park (does it even pre-date the park?) but yes I'd also rather see a well used hotel there than a closed pub. It should rejuvenate that end of the boulevard nicely

Back for 2018! Same number of dates in 2017 but none in April and an extra one in July to make up for it. Will be interesting to see where they launch the fireworks from.

Excellent news! Clearly shifting them to start from June is to ensure Icon is open for them all.

Last edited:

I am assuming that the 29th of July is incorrect as that is a Sunday when all the others are Saturdays ?

Also, seeing as the late night riding is still a 10pm finish then it looks like PB will be keeping similar general opening / closing times to those of 2017.

Last edited:
If the fireworks are to return in 2018, in my opinion they need to be launched from a site which doesn't affect many rides in terms of having to close them early.

The current site is hardly ideal with a major new coaster opening next year, there will be thousands of people wanting to ride Icon in the dark so having to close it early would be a nightmare! Icon may well have queues of 2+ hours next year, meaning they'd have to close the queue as early as 8pm?

In addition, the view from the bridge across to the current fireworks site will be blocked by the ride station.

I can't think of any area they could launch from that wouldn't screw over something. It's not as if they have a nice big empty field in the middle of the park.

I remember last year, we had just boarded Dipper for a ride in the dark before the fireworks, restraints all checked and ready to go... then the staff staged an obviously fake break down and kicked us off, in order to clear the area. I understand it needed to be done, but don't lie about the reason!

I believe they open the south gate at a certain time in the morning.

Could definitely do with having a permanent entrance/exit for hotel guests to use throughout the day though.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.