• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Didn't the park have to get permission to use the Disney characters inside? I get that the story is fair game, but those representations of the characters are Disney property, surely?

Can someone tell me how blackpool has a Alice in Wonderland ride within the park? How does the Disney copy right work with it?

Sorry just curious? X

It's a great story - in the early 50's Leonard Thompson invited Walt Disney himself over to see the park (before any of the Disney parks existed). Apparently he loved the atmosphere and what they were trying to do at BPB with the slightly more upmarket aim than the more common funfairs that had been around up until then. He was in fact so inspired that he gave permission to the Thompson's and the park to use the Alice in Wonderland IP, and then went back to the US and...well the rest is history. Quite incredible now to think that BPB was in fact perhaps a large inspiration for the Disney theme parks!

Didn't the park have to get permission to use the Disney characters inside? I get that the story is fair game, but those representations of the characters are Disney property, surely?

The characters aren't property of Disney there characters created by Lewis Carrol in a book published in 1869.

It's a great story - in the early 50's Leonard Thompson invited Walt Disney himself over to see the park (before any of the Disney parks existed). Apparently he loved the atmosphere and what they were trying to do at BPB with the slightly more upmarket aim than the more common funfairs that had been around up until then. He was in fact so inspired that he gave permission to the Thompson's and the park to use the Alice in Wonderland IP, and then went back to the US and...well the rest is history. Quite incredible now to think that BPB was in fact perhaps a large inspiration for the Disney theme parks!

That is a good story. I’d heard that after the visit Leonard and Walt actually ended up being good friends. I think you can certainly see the inspiration going both ways. Whilst the Alice Ride at BPB certainly has similar elements to its Disneyland counterpart (down to the giant leaves), you can see how Walt took inspiration from Leonard’s ambition to have a ‘continuity of design’ through Emberton’s remodelling of the park, which is continued to this day in the design philosophy of Disney’s parks.

Sorry to butt in but does the horror crypt still open? I have never seen it open in my entire life...
Yes, it was refurbished for 2017 and I'd highly recommend visiting, it's really good now!

They usually post opening times on their Facebook page.

Wasn’t Pirates originally going to be a walk through museum though and it was changed to a boat ride after capacity concerns? They saw how successful it’s a small world moved crowds at the Worlds Fair and decided to employ the same system.

The characters aren't property of Disney there characters created by Lewis Carrol in a book published in 1869.

I'm aware, but I mean the actual representations used in the Disney films. The characters are fair game, but the Disney animated versions are Disney property.

Lewis Carroll's Alice is fine:
ec6390ccf7e0f7abb0eba77a27d9854b.jpg

But Blackpool use Disney's version:
croquet-3.jpg

8161691653_1869c5e17d_b.jpg

Anyway, this is all pointless anyway, as Alastair says, they got permission to use those characters, so it's all fine :p

Just a quick question, where do you guys stay if you were to stay over? I've checked the travel lodge for opening day and it's like £72 pound a room. I don't mind a cheap B n B, can anyone recommend a decent one?

Thank you!!! X

I normally stay in the travleodge next to the football ground, as long as it's not a match day :p

When are you looking for? Terms days are usually cheaper. I usually stay at the Blackpool South Promenade, you can usually see the pleasure beach from our room.

£72 per room base on 2 sharing = £36 per person per night, not a bad price. I've just taken a look for my self and can get it for £114 for 3 nights Term time (price might vary depending on dates)

When are you looking for? Terms days are usually cheaper. I usually stay at the Blackpool South Promenade, you can usually see the pleasure beach from our room.

£72 per room base on 2 sharing = £36 per person per night, not a bad price. I've just taken a look for my self and can get it for £114 for 3 nights Term time (price might vary depending on dates)
Term days are usually quieter as well; Weekends and school holidays can be very busy.

I like staying in the big blue, some times when the travelodge is around £75 you can get a big blue room for not much more and you get a breakfast as well.

Don't forget there's a Hampsons by Hilton opening not too far down the prom this spring as well.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.