• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
There are a few decent B&Bs along the streets outside the entrance. You’re best doing a search for prices then check on Trip Advisor for reviews. You can pick up a decent one for around £45-£50.

Opening times are now on the PB website for the entire season.

Very similar to last year unfortunately.

Apart from the fireworks nights the peak time finishes are 7pm again, with some 6pm Saturday finishes from April to June.

I was hoping they may have tried opening at least an hour later this year. They have to be expecting bigger attendances so I am surprised they haven't tried something new for the opening/closing times.

I reckon they could easily open till 8pm or even 9pm in the peak season this year.

Seems a wasted opportunity to me in what is likely to be their busiest season for several years.

Last edited:
That's disappointing, but I wonder if they're aiming low so it's easier (and better publicity) to extend opening with some fanfare and "Oh goodness me, our brand new for 2018, £16 million rollercoaster has outpaced all our expectations, so we're extending opening hours so everybody has a chance to ride ICON"?

Better publicity than closing an hour early because it's raining anyway

That's disappointing, but I wonder if they're aiming low so it's easier (and better publicity) to extend opening with some fanfare and "Oh goodness me, our brand new for 2018, £16 million rollercoaster has outpaced all our expectations, so we're extending opening hours so everybody has a chance to ride ICON"?

Better publicity than closing an hour early because it's raining anyway

Fair point I suppose but I think 11am to 9pm would serve them better in the peak season, especially if they kept the gate price down a bit.

But looks like they are wanting everyone to book in advance and if that's the mindset then opening later won't really gain them anything. 10 day advance price is now £25. Gate price £39. An even bigger gap than last year.

Guessing they may look to extend opening with a reduced gate price (in the right conditions), but if that's the plan then how many people are just going to turn up if they think it is going to cost them £39 each ?

Last edited:
I don't really have a problem with these opening times, better than the Merlin parks on most dates!

If there are really rammed days it should be easy for them to extend opening anyway.

Last edited:
It’s been a long time since BPB opened a proper new coaster, so it’s likely they just don’t know how or if it will change visitation patterns. It therefore follows that they haven’t changed from last seasons opening times.

On a personal level it would be great to see longer opening times, perhaps we’ll see some extended times if Icon brings the crowds and they stay later.

Fair point I suppose but I think 11am to 9pm would serve them better in the peak season, especially if they kept the gate price down a bit.
Do you not think doing so would harm their late night riding events, or are the fireworks enough of an attraction to distinguish the two?

Disappointing to see they haven't changed much from 2017, however as others have said, hopefully extensions will happen if the crowds warrant it.

I think it's a shame that there won't really be a chance to ride Icon in the dark, as the only late night closes are fireworks which will most likely require the queue-line to close early. :(

Last edited:
Do you not think doing so would harm their late night riding events, or are the fireworks enough of an attraction to distinguish the two?

I think if it's limited to peak, peak season (July/August during the summer holidays), then it should be ok. I think the prospect of it being school -holidays-busy will be enough to turn some families away until late night riding. Maybe.

Late night riding also has the advantage of being a event itself. If they were to close at 9pm peak times, it would be treated like any other day with no extras like the stage, the fireworks, or the general "party" atmosphere the park has during the events. Maybe.

@Dar Perhaps - hard to tell how it's going to be received until they give it a go. One of the key issues with the extended opening is the sheer operational cost of doing so. Working out how to claw back that revenue with the wristband system is not straightforward.

It was so much simpler with pay per ride, if it was busy and people were spending then you kept the park open, if it wasn't, you closed. The danger now is that you open for ten hours, instead of eight to a similar guest figure and it's not worth your while and spending is largely flat.

Plus, if you advertise a 9pm close and you're still selling people wristbands at 6pm, you can't bring your closing time forward if the weather turns.

Maybe they could back to the evening wristband system?
£30 on the gate - All day - 11am-9pm
£20 on the gate - Half a day - 4/3pm - 9pm

Both bookable online, with appropriate discount, so they've an idea of who's appearing. But, as you say, that still leaves the gamble of only a few people booking an evening band, meaning they can't close the park early because people have paid to be there for the evening.

I did consider a morning/afternoon only band, but couldn't think of a way to enforce the times without closing the park and kicking everybody out, to let people back in.

One thing I think they need to properly consider, if they're planning later openings, is the food offering. They don't really have anywhere comparable to the Velvet Coaster. Cheap, plenty of seating, reasonable food, and nice and warm. Last time we went for the October fireworks and the Velvet Coaster was full of people with wristbands on, just grabbing some lunch or dinner before heading back on park. That's lost revenue that they really need to be pushing to keep on park. Unless they start offering some sort of deal with wetherspoons, buy a meal on park, get a free drink in the velvet coaster AFTER park closing?

It should be possible to have a wristband that the barcode readers will reject after a certain time of day. It can't be that different to just checking the date, can it? Then guests are still on park, eating and drinking, but not able to ride.... unless they buy another wristband....
I can see a lot of angry guests who've queued an hour for the Big One, only to get to the turnstyle and find their wristband no longer works.

Frankly though, I doubt morning only wristbands would sell enough to be worth it.

It has to be said that in a town like Blackpool, with the sheer amount of tourists it attracts, a 7pm close for an attraction like BPB on peak tourist weeks is stupidly early. Whilst I am sure we will never see the frequent peak-season midnight closures again, surely a 9 or 10pm closure would be reasonable? I am talking the likes of the summer school holiday and illuminations weeks when there are people everywhere all over the promenade. At 7pm, the piers, arcades, etc are coining it in and BPB are turfing people out. Remember that BPB is in a VERY different location to most amusement / theme parks. Who just happens to be hanging about outside the likes of Alton or Thorpe unless they are going into the parks? Blackpool front is crawling with people who would go into BPB after 7pm on peak weeks IF it was actually open!

No doubt from a business point of view, the "We've got your money now, we'll shut when when we like" attitude is in place here, but I always say imagine the extra revenue they'd get from food, drink, merchandise, let alone wristbands & ticket sales. I've seen people on weekdays buying gate price wristbands at times like 3:30, just for a couple of hours' worth of rides, so if they open til 9-10 there will always be people buying wristbands at 7pm, whether they are reduced or not. Some people have more money than sense. Like the guy I saw buying a £55 round of Sambuca shots in the Flying Machines bar late at night

Last edited:
@Dipper_Dave - there is some truth in what you say on all points, but the park has tried various things over the years and it just hasn't worked financially, has performed inconsistently or has been more trouble than its worth (Winter Weekends, for one).

I won't quote line by line - but taking each broader point in turn.

Tourists - the tourist demographic is now very different than it was during the majority of the WGT era. People are coming for shorter stays with less tradition and several evenings at the Pleasure Beach has been replaced by a full day - or their Blackpool holiday has been replaced by a day visit to the park.
Other attractions late opening - this is true, but their ability to open late is because their cost base is so much less and the advanced purchase commitment isn't there. With an arcade for instance, if it's open you go in, if it's closed you go to the next one. The rotas required for staffing at the Pleasure Beach becomes infinitely more complicated with frequent late openings, for all departments.
Evening wristbands - I don't disagree some people would buy them, I just don't think there would be enough. Plus, even worse - I think some of the people who would buy them would be buying them instead of an all day wristband, which is harmful to the bottom line.
Supplementary spending - Pleasure Beach has never been very good with food and merchandise vs. an operator like Merlin - I don't doubt there is money to be made, but I don't think they're leaving wedges of cash on the table.
Sambuca guy - he's a braver man than me, especially if he was taking a spin on the flyers afterward.

Even in peak season, most attractions in Blackpool close around 5pm.

IMO they'e missing a massive trick not even trailing a 10pm close in the summer. Just think of all them people that literally have nothing to do other than visit the Piers after tea time...

Coral Island and the piers open until at least 10 in peak season, as do most of the arcades right up the prom.
Another thing about BPB that makes it different is the influence of the local council...the Beach has turned to them before now in difficult times for financial support, and as they are one of the town's major employers, the council have assisted them.
Maybe the council have requested earlier closing, to make sure the other local amusements get a fair crack of the whip.
This is also the only logical reason I can see for low season daily opening...they used to close 2 days a week between Easter and Spring Bank, but now they open every day...great for me and dippy, but when we are virtually the only punters on the park some days, I have never understood why they continue to do it even though it must cost them a fortune to do so year after year.
Perhaps it was a condition of previous loans from the council to open daily from Easter...as there is no sensible economic reason to do so.
On another note, Icon building is still in the lake bed I think, couldn't see much though through the lashing rain and gales this afternoon...didn't risk getting my ladders out!

Given that BPB go mad when any fairground rides pop up on the prom, I really can't see them closing early to "give others a chance"...

Whilst I think we all desperately want to believe that regular later opening would be a good thing which would be a success, I just can’t see the economics being there. And let’s face it, if they were we’d probably see them open later.

The late night opening model which works appears to be the use of the limited nights with fireworks. The fireworks and entertainment then keep sufficient numbers in the park until closing. Without the fireworks people tend to drift away earlier. I think the proliferation of these nights shows that BPB have considered late opening and determined this to be the best model. I think Nick himself has said that these nights were the best attended they’d had during the year. Extending that to a daily occurrence would probably only dilute attendance and there’s certainly not the economics to set off fireworks every night to keep people there.

Why can most other smaller parks do it then? Such as Fantasy Island, Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach, Skegness Pleasure Beach, Pleasureland Southport, Adventure Island, Dreamland, Brean, Barry Island and probably more...

My money is on them being too afraid to push the cheaper wristbands in the evening, in fear of people opting for that option instead of a full day wristband.

I don't fully agree with the theory of fireworks keeping people in the park until the very end. Many people will simply leave the park when they've had enough for the day. Some people are forgetting that pre-fireworks the night riding events were until midnight. A good number of people stayed until the end then, without anything to entice them to other than the fact they were enjoying the rides in the dark.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.