• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The attacks on the park owners from people on here and elsewhere are uncalled for and disgusting in my opinion.

Calling them scum for example, just because they didn't announce the removal of a ride in the way that you would like. Totally unecessary.

Criticism is fine, personal attacks and abuse are not. I also don't think it's great that TowersStreet is a place where this abuse is being tolerated or allowed, doesn't look good on the part of the forum.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Indeed, this is clearly a very emotional subject but could we please refrain from personally abusing the park owners. It really isn't necessary.

Also, please remember to use the report feature on the forum if you see something that you feel needs the team's attention. It is by far the quickest way that we are able to react to things.

Thanks!

:)

The attacks on the park owners from people on here and elsewhere are uncalled for and disgusting in my opinion.

Calling them scum for example, just because they didn't announce the removal of a ride in the way that you would like. Totally unecessary.

Criticism is fine, personal attacks and abuse are not. I also don't think it's great that TowersStreet is a place where this abuse is being tolerated or allowed, doesn't look good on the part of the forum.

Just my opinion.

1) In around 40 posts I can only find 2 that match your description of disgusting. There is plenty of hyperbole but this is the internet!

2) There is a report function to complain about such posts, the fact you haven’t used it suggests you would rather defame a topics worth of posts to avoid actually debating a defence of the park....

Last edited:
Indeed, this is clearly a very emotional subject but could we please refrain from personally abusing the park owners. It really isn't necessary.

Also, please remember to use the report feature on the forum if you see something that you feel needs the team's attention. It is by far the quickest way that we are able to react to things.

Thanks!

:)
Sorry I cannot see any abuse on here. Criticism yes but no abuse, unless it's a post that's been deleted.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sad to see it's gone, was lucky enough to get a few goes on it during a quiet midweek in May this year. Amusingly now the start of 2017 seemed like the safest the rides future had been in a decade.

Hopefully the park can move quickly to install something in the vicinity in the next couple of years.

So a couple of things to pick up on here, starting with the idea that the Pleasure Beach don't care, that's completely not true and I can tell you honestly that it has been a very, very tough decision for them to take to remove the Wild Mouse. I have seen numerous comments saying that the Pleasure Beach should have made an announcement about it beforehand, that may seem like a good idea and the easy thing to do, but that's not always the case.

Firstly, the decision to remove the Wild Mouse was not common knowledge at the Pleasure Beach before the permanent staff finished for their Christmas break and secondly, the staff are still on their Christmas break and return to office next week, that is why nothing was posted by Pleasure Beach before the statement was passed onto the RCCGB and PBE.

An announcement about the removal was due to come next week, but of course because the leak of the information came this morning, a shorter statement was sent out in the meantime.

I repeat that the decision was not taken lightly and is still hurting the people that made the decision, regardless of what you think about the Mouse's removal, please don't personally attack the Pleasure Beach owners for making a business decision, a decision that was a very difficult one at that.

Hi Scott. Hope you are well.

I have the up most respect for the time and effort you put in with PBE and realise you have close ties with the park but on this occasion I believe that PB should be criticised.

The decision was clearly taken back in September when rob666 gained some inside information. He was convinced at the time and has proved to be right.

The park had ample time to inform people and even had time to organise a final farewell if they really wanted to.

My guess is they were worried about a campaign to save the mouse if the news got out and didn't want any bad publicity.

It's been demolished without warning, much like the cyclone.

The park have invested heavily in the last 7-8 years with Nick land, Wallace and Gromit, sky force, icon and now a new hotel. Credit where it's due, but they've messed up with the mouse.

If it had to go then so be it but it's been done in such a bad way and with no thought to the many that love the ride or the historic importance of it.

Personally I think they could have left it SBNO for a year, taken a step back and re-assessed the situation, but they clearly wanted rid as soon as possible to avoid any chance of enthusiasts getting in the way.

I love PB, always have and always will and there are more important things in life to worry about, but you cannot seriously say that the people in charge have covered themselves in glory on this occasion.

If it was an Icon news piece it wouldn’t have been a problem for Mandy to get on Twitter and if you believe pleasure beach have had no PR staff on the job for 3 weeks then you have fun with that. Fact is it takes time to arrange a demolition crew so it’s not something Mandy arranged in a fit of pique Christmas Eve.

Most parks manage to announce the closure of a classic ride some time before the bulldozers metaphorical roll in. But she has form with this particular situation (Cyclone)

I don't believe that nobody has been in the office, I know that they have been out of the office since the 22nd December and don't return before 8th January. I know for certain that none of the BPB staff were aware of the Mouse's removal before they finished for Christmas.

The decision was clearly taken back in September when rob666 gained some inside information. He was convinced at the time and has proved to be right.

Not true, modifications were being made to the Mouse's cars from the day it was closed, there was also plans put in place for structural changes to be made.

The decision was not made before the end of the season, I am absolutely certain of this.

For the record, I will miss the Wild Mouse, but I am excited about the future of the Pleasure Beach as well, everyone will eventually get over it and continue to enjoy BPB for what it is.

Shakey . . Yes, it appears the decision was made months ago so I find it very hard to believe that it was only definitely decided in the last couple of weeks whilst the permanent staff just happened to be on leave. Surely as has been said, a demolition crew can't just be summoned at the drop of a hat. And no way was this going to go unnoticed for several days. You can (well, could) see the strip of mice at the top of the ride from the prom, so it seems ridiculous for them to plan on making a statement after the ride had already been torn down, only to then have to issue a hurried one when a photo leaked.

it's bad news for me but I can accept it closing, but the park have timed it wrong from a business sense of view for me. It will affect a small amount of the public and if it faces a reaction like the log flume and cyclone then it's going to have an impact on Icon's success this year.

It won't affect many but I feel if they announced it a couple of months back or after Icon it wouldn't have such an impact but so close to the season it might.

I don't believe that nobody has been in the office, I know that they have been out of the office since the 22nd December and don't return before 8th January. I know for certain that none of the BPB staff were aware of the Mouse's removal before they finished for Christmas.

So no one within the marketing/ PR structure knew that Mandy had contracted a demolishion crew before the 22nd of December?

Hmmmmm

If I were the Managing Director of any business and made a very unpopular decision (whether forced by the situation of maintenance, safety etc) - I would:

a) expect a certain amount of grief*
b) want to plan ahead and announce it properly
c) not take any offence because I get paid loads and dont care

* - look at Richard Branson's twitter - its hysterical people moaning about their Virgin Media bills etc - you want to be the MD, you get the grief, this stuff isn't new. Im not advocating any abuse at Mandy personally, but come on, she's the face of the company, and wants to be when its all going good. Suddenly they've made a bad decision and we shouldn't criticise her... err... well...

If I were the Managing Director of any business and made a very unpopular decision (whether forced by the situation of maintenance, safety etc) - I would:

a) expect a certain amount of grief*
b) want to plan ahead and announce it properly
c) not take any offence because I get paid loads and dont care

* - look at Richard Branson's twitter - its hysterical people moaning about their Virgin Media bills etc - you want to me and MD, you get the grief, this stuff isn't new. Im not advocating any abuse at Mandy personally, but come on, she's the face of the company, and wants to be when its all going good. Suddenly they've made a bad decision and we shouldn't criticise her... err... well...

That's not what I'm getting at, we absolutely and rightfully should criticise.

She should expect grief and there is nothing wrong with that as long as it doesn't turn horribly nasty and threatening.

modifications were being made to the Mouse's cars from the day it was closed, there was also plans put in place for structural changes to be made.

Presumably not the 'structural changes' that have been made today then! Whilst I understand the park wouldn't want the fanfare and bad publicity, I still think an announcement could and should have been made at some point during the tail end of the season, or even 2 days ago before it was actually demolished. What's the worst that could have happened? A small number of people try to protest, then get removed by security or arrested? At least it would have shown some honesty and integrity for the park to have made it clear that the ride was no more and why.

Hi Scott. Hope you are well.

I have the up most respect for the time and effort you put in with PBE and realise you have close ties with the park but on this occasion I believe that PB should be criticised.

The park had ample time to inform people and even had time to organise a final farewell if they really wanted to.

My guess is they were worried about a campaign to save the mouse if the news got out and didn't want any bad publicity.

It's been demolished without warning, much like the cyclone.

The park have invested heavily in the last 7-8 years with Nick land, Wallace and Gromit, sky force, icon and now a new hotel. Credit where it's due, but they've messed up with the mouse.

If it had to go then so be it but it's been done in such a bad way and with no thought to the many that love the ride or the historic importance of it.

Personally I think they could have left it SBNO for a year, taken a step back and re-assessed the situation, but they clearly wanted rid as soon as possible to avoid any chance of enthusiasts getting in the way.

I love PB, always have and always will and there are more important things in life to worry about, but you cannot seriously say that the people in charge have covered themselves in glory on this occasion.

Very well said, especially the opportunity to leave the ride SBNO. Whilst it’s clear that BPB have spent money on the Mouse in the recent past and up to the end of the season, it’s also clear that the demolition seems to have been carried out to prevent any type of reaction.

I would be very surprised if we see anything of note on that site this year, i.e. it has not been urgently been demolished to make way for something urgent this year.

The only conclusion you can therefore draw is that the demolition has been done quickly such as to not allow any sort of public reaction to effect the demolition itself.

For a ride with so much history this seems to be an act of complete callousness.

Presumably not the 'structural changes' that have been made today then! Whilst I understand the park wouldn't want the fanfare and bad publicity, I still think an announcement could and should have been made at some point during the tail end of the season, or even 2 days ago before it was actually demolished. What's the worst that could have happened? A small number of people try to protest, then get removed by security or arrested? At least it would have shown some honesty and integrity for the park to have made it clear that the ride was no more and why.

You would end up with lunatics breaking into the park and chaining themselves to it if an announcement was made beforehand. There's been threats of people hanging themselves over it, an announcement before its closure wasn't worth the problems it would have caused.

Just to clarify (again); BPB staff have been out of office since the 22nd December and don't return before 8th January. I know for certain that none of the BPB staff were aware of the Mouse's removal before they finished for Christmas, any announcement made about it was always likely to come after the removal given that the ride was removed during the BPB Christmas break.

Last edited:
You would end up with lunatics breaking into the park and chaining themselves to it if an announcement was made beforehand. There's been threats of people hanging themselves over it, an announcement before its closure wasn't worth the problems it would have caused.

So it’s no longer a last minute decision unable to be communicated due to the Christmas break, and now is a strategic PR choice.

Good to have the clarification!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.