• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Scooby Doos Spooky Coaster is pretty incredible (Mack Wild Mouse). Between Trauma Towers and the Mouse site I'm sure there is room for something decent. Also, do they need that fountain? But they've just spent £16.5 million on Icon and apparently they're spending £12 million on a new hotel.Given their spending history and the accounts they file with companies house, I can't imagine there'd be much money left over for a replacement.

Whatever they replace it with, it's a real shame to have lost such an amazing ride. Like everyone else I loved the Mouse. I rode it quite a few times in July with no hands and didn't find it at all painful.

I don't undersrand your position. Is your suggestion that they have an obligation to run the Mouse irrespective of whether they are able to do it safely or cost effectively?
A wooden coaster should never die, all you need to replace a piece is a decent local chippy. In theory a well kept woody could last for centuries, even if that results in a "Trigger's broom" paradox.

There is no excuse for this. They'd already upgraded the seatbelts, and the cars were built in-house anyway, so it would be perfectly possible to design and build newer, "safer" cars if that is what was needed.

They have always made a big deal out of their historic rides, to the point of having plaques outside them. Yet they now treat both the ride and it's fans with utter contempt by trying to demolish it on the sly! And not for the first time, either (still bitter I never got to go to Southport).

I totally understand that it was a "Marmite" ride that some people hated, but those of us who loved it really loved it. The very least they could have done was announce this in time for people to have a final ride on it.

I really do think that by the time it was decided to close the ride completely the insurers had backed out...there was little choice.
If I smack up my car three times in a month, my insurers have a right in the small print to terminate my policy and refund the remaining premium..the small print in insurance is always the killer.
There is no way they would have spent the amount they had on the ride recently if the closure was planned...I think it really was simply a series of unfortunate events...a bit lemony snicket.
A lot less coaster eye candy sat at the bar with Bernard next year.

I really do think that by the time it was decided to close the ride completely the insurers had backed out...there was little choice.
If I smack up my car three times in a month, my insurers have a right in the small print to terminate my policy and refund the remaining premium..the small print in insurance is always the killer.
There is no way they would have spent the amount they had on the ride recently if the closure was planned...I think it really was simply a series of unfortunate events...a bit lemony snicket.
A lot less coaster eye candy sat at the bar with Bernard next year.

I can see that there may have been a set of circumstances that meant the ride had to close. But Amanda has just proven she is as callous as Merlin when it comes to the park she ownes. Would it have killed her to have a proper send of to a classic ride?

Hell even Merlin managed that with a steal coaster that was only 28 years old. It might mean nothing from a business perspective (getting that in before the corporate member strikes) but the respect shown to things that helped build your business, even when you have to let it go reflects the respect you have for the business now.

This plus the recent icon rumours make me worry about the one big park that looked to be bucking the UK industry trend!

....This plus the recent icon rumours make me worry about the one big park that looked to be bucking the UK industry trend!

What icon rumours ?

Edit: beat me to it Diogo !

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Even with the way things have been handled so far, there’s still a window of opportunity for BPB to come out, be open about the closure, and celebrate its history.

So far, there’s been only a short press statement made indirectly through a couple of fansites.

Even with the way things have been handled so far, there’s still a window of opportunity for BPB to come out, be open about the closure, and celebrate its history.

So far, there’s been only a short press statement made indirectly through a couple of fansites.

Yes but if they were remotely interested in celebrating it, they wouldn't have torn it down behind closed doors like that, surely.

So, the source of the photos. . . Has someone zoomed in through the gates by the Ark? It kind of looks like they were taken from inside the park though. But then it would have to be a staff member or a demolition crew member. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Phew! Don't panic people.

Wild mouse may have gone but Amanda is busy tweeting about the return of hot ice in 2018 !

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

They aren't stupid, demolish a much loved ride the year you're opening a brand new big ride...

It's a huge shame, Wild Mouse was a gem.

Oh, well, that's OK then.

... IS SHE DELIBERATELY TAKING THE [censored]‽ ‽ ‽ ‽ ‽

So a couple of things to pick up on here, starting with the idea that the Pleasure Beach don't care, that's completely not true and I can tell you honestly that it has been a very, very tough decision for them to take to remove the Wild Mouse. I have seen numerous comments saying that the Pleasure Beach should have made an announcement about it beforehand, that may seem like a good idea and the easy thing to do, but that's not always the case.

Firstly, the decision to remove the Wild Mouse was not common knowledge at the Pleasure Beach before the permanent staff finished for their Christmas break and secondly, the staff are still on their Christmas break and return to office next week, that is why nothing was posted by Pleasure Beach before the statement was passed onto the RCCGB and PBE.

An announcement about the removal was due to come next week, but of course because the leak of the information came this morning, a shorter statement was sent out in the meantime.

I repeat that the decision was not taken lightly and is still hurting the people that made the decision, regardless of what you think about the Mouse's removal, please don't personally attack the Pleasure Beach owners for making a business decision, a decision that was a very difficult one at that.

So a couple of things to pick up on here, starting with the idea that the Pleasure Beach don't care, that's completely not true and I can tell you honestly that it has been a very, very tough decision for them to take to remove the Wild Mouse. I have seen numerous comments saying that the Pleasure Beach should have made an announcement about it beforehand, that may seem like a good idea and the easy thing to do, but that's not always the case.

Firstly, the decision to remove the Wild Mouse was not common knowledge at the Pleasure Beach before the permanent staff finished for their Christmas break and secondly, the staff are still on their Christmas break and return to office next week, that is why nothing was posted by Pleasure Beach before the statement was passed onto the RCCGB and PBE.

An announcement about the removal was due to come next week, but of course because the leak of the information came this morning, a shorter statement was sent out in the meantime.

I repeat that the decision was not taken lightly and is still hurting the people that made the decision, regardless of what you think about the Mouse's removal, please don't personally attack the Pleasure Beach owners for making a business decision, a decision that was a very difficult one at that.

If it was an Icon news piece it wouldn’t have been a problem for Mandy to get on Twitter and if you believe pleasure beach have had no PR staff on the job for 3 weeks then you have fun with that. Fact is it takes time to arrange a demolition crew so it’s not something Mandy arranged in a fit of pique Christmas Eve.

Most parks manage to announce the closure of a classic ride some time before the bulldozers metaphorical roll in. But she has form with this particular situation (Cyclone)

If BPB thought they could hide the demolition of a ride that's visible from outside the park during a period when there's more interest in the park than at any point over the last 20 years or so then it seems rather naive of them.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.