• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty certain the family has their own insurance brokers, on the books, so to speak.
Ohh you're right, South Shore Mutual Insurance Company is a subsidiary of BPB Holdings Ltd. Not sure what type of insurance they use that for though, don't think it would say anywhere publicly accessible - so might just be for buildings/contents type insurance. Who knows.

Presumably South Shore Mutual Insurance Co would have to get cover in from elsewhere as it would be unable to pay out the sort of sums that public liability usually covers you for.

Yes, brokers are the retailers so to speak, the big companies are huge...own whole towns sometimes, and rarely deal directly with individuals or businesses.
According to my east angular mate, Aviva own about half of Norwich.
My old economics tutor always described insurance as gambling, betting that you are going to lose, and that you should keep all gambling down to a bare minimum.
So I have always taken basic policies with large excess arrangements, and fortunately it has paid off over the years, never had to claim.

Oh I really should stop tempting fate.

And insurance wasn't the be all and end all, it seems to have been a large number of factors sadly.

Will pick out the tripe advisor report, I saw it again quite recently.

Edit...no, interestingly the original post...spotted by shakey...has been taken down, I imagine possibly at the request of the poster following grief from enthusiasts, or maybe by others, I dont know how it works, but there is another post, one star review, early September, that alludes to the incident, I think.
Searching tripe advisor for BPB then searching Wild Mouse highlights it as a real marmite ride.

Last edited:
Searching tripe advisor for BPB then searching Wild Mouse highlights it as a real marmite ride.

I’ve had to avoid all non-enthusiast reports about the mouse going due to the total rubbish posted in the comments, phrases like “death trap” and crap about the “carts” coming off the track killing people... then there’s the ones saying it gave them whiplash or something after one ride.... if we can manage to sit on it all day long without so much as a headache then what are these people doing to get injured??

Yes, brokers are the retailers so to speak, the big companies are huge...own whole towns sometimes, and rarely deal directly with individuals or businesses.
According to my east angular mate, Aviva own about half of Norwich.
My old economics tutor always described insurance as gambling, betting that you are going to lose, and that you should keep all gambling down to a bare minimum.
So I have always taken basic policies with large excess arrangements, and fortunately it has paid off over the years, never had to claim.

Oh I really should stop tempting fate.

And insurance wasn't the be all and end all, it seems to have been a large number of factors sadly.

Will pick out the tripe advisor report, I saw it again quite recently.

Edit...no, interestingly the original post...spotted by shakey...has been taken down, I imagine possibly at the request of the poster following grief from enthusiasts, or maybe by others, I dont know how it works, but there is another post, one star review, early September, that alludes to the incident, I think.
@rob666 do you roughly know the date it was posted?

Edit Found it on wayback,

DANGEROUS AND OUTDATED
If I could give less I would. People need to be aware that some of the rides at pleasure beach are dangerous. Some ride restraints are out dated and seriously need to be checked by health and safety. I paid £100 for a family of 4 just to go on one ride that I took my cousins boy on. The seatbelt went around the two of us ( which was very loose) and clipped where your arm sits. While on this ride the belt un-clips and throws the boy over the side lucky I grabbed his trousers or I dread to think what might of happened. PLEASE EDUCATE YOUR CHILDREN ABOUT WHICH RESTRAINTS HOLD YOU IN. This could have been a lot worse. Health and safety are being phone tomorrow.

Last edited:
It's going to be funny when the park opens, and each one of us walks past the old Mouse site with our heads down. We'll spot other enthusiasts doing the exact same, and we'll all just give each other a hug as we burst into tears.

Friendship will be the only good thing to come out of this loss.

@rob666 do you roughly know the date it was posted?

Edit Found it on wayback,

DANGEROUS AND OUTDATED
If I could give less I would. People need to be aware that some of the rides at pleasure beach are dangerous. Some ride restraints are out dated and seriously need to be checked by health and safety. I paid £100 for a family of 4 just to go on one ride that I took my cousins boy on. The seatbelt went around the two of us ( which was very loose) and clipped where your arm sits. While on this ride the belt un-clips and throws the boy over the side lucky I grabbed his trousers or I dread to think what might of happened. PLEASE EDUCATE YOUR CHILDREN ABOUT WHICH RESTRAINTS HOLD YOU IN. This could have been a lot worse. Health and safety are being phone tomorrow.

Yep, that's the one I spotted months ago, then the mouse closed shortly after and the seatbelt modifications made.

I really don't buy the "uninsurable" theory. There are far more dangerous activities than riding the wild mouse that get insured, and far more theme park rides that have had serious injuries or even deaths but continue to operate.

You can't blame people for complaining though. First time riders were not expecting the mouse to be such a wild ride (despite its name) and expected to feel safe throughout the ride, but the mouse did not provide that feeling for many people. Add in the occasional very minor injury and you have a recipe for complaints.

The park could have modified the ride further and I think they should have tried to do that. Most of the problems were towards the end of the ride with last ejector dip followed by the crunching right hander's. If they had slowed the mouse before the last dip then I think that would have stopped many of the complaints.

I doubt the park will ever give us the 100% truth behind the rides removal so the speculation and guess work will continue. All we know is that we have lost one of the truly great roller coasters in the UK and personally I think the park could have kept the ride open if they were really committed to preserving it. Unfortunately, it seems that Amanda decided enough was enough.

I really don't buy the "uninsurable" theory. There are far more dangerous activities than riding the wild mouse that get insured, and far more theme park rides that have had serious injuries or even deaths but continue to operate..
We wil just have to agree to disagee then but IMO Amanda it not to blame for this.

If they were't really committed to preserving it then they would't have spent money on the Mag brakes.

There are things Amanda could be blamed for but this i't one of them IMO.

If they were really committed to preserving it I'm sure they could have found a way.
In terms of liability insurance I think I remember hearing somewhere that every insurance policy in England is underwritten by Lloyds of London.
There is nothing that is uninsurable for a price.
Part of the mouses charm was that it felt dangerous and unsafe. Unfortunately this will always lead to complaints from the public.
All emotions aside it was a fairly ugly looking structure and certainly not in keeping with Amanda's vision of the park.
Unfortunately this isn't the first time an owner of a building has torn something down quickly and quietly when they hear that there is a campaign to get it listed.

It's going to be funny when the park opens, and each one of us walks past the old Mouse site with our heads down. We'll spot other enthusiasts doing the exact same, and we'll all just give each other a hug as we burst into tears.

Friendship will be the only good thing to come out of this loss.

My brother tells me that when we visit the park together in April, he fully intends to hold a minute’s applause on the Mouse site. I think this is a superb idea.

Shakey...first, did you read on in tripe advisor to see her mates comment?
Second...most dangerous activities are on a pay per ride basis, a quid or two per rider is acceptable then, but when you want cover for a twenty pound all day wristband, with a ride that is high risk, then the insured cost per rider shoots up very quickly to uneconomic levels.
As I said a few days back, in the last three season tickets, with weekly riding, I saw more distressed people coming off the Mouse than on all the other rides, including the Towers, put together. Probably twice as many. Even counting dippy on the smiler.
It ruined people's day out, the park has an absolute duty of care, hazard warnings do not stand up in court, the new brakes added weight that caused further problems, chain breakage and so on.
If it gets rebuilt safer and bigger to get the clearances then I will be the happiest bloke around...if not then we will just have to do it ourselves.
I think fifty quid each in the pot to begin with would do.
And it is dippys round.

the new brakes added weight that caused further problems, chain breakage and so on.
I think it's partly along these lines that it went - yes they spent money on it recently but then find out it needs more to fix these other problems the brakes are causing - they either keep throwing money at it or decide to cut their losses on the new modifications they've already done.

I think it's partly along these lines that it went - yes they spent money on it recently but then find out it needs more to fix these other problems the brakes are causing - they either keep throwing money at it or decide to cut their losses on the new modifications they've already done.
At least they tried so credit to them for that.

Would like to see the red and yellow panels Installed somewhere on park with a plack about the ride and it's history.

If it gets rebuilt safer and bigger to get the clearances then I will be the happiest bloke around...if not then we will just have to do it ourselves.
I think fifty quid each in the pot to begin with would do.
And it is dippys round.
Now theres something I can get behind!:)
Maybe crowd funding?

People have built homemade coasters in there back gardens in America, Just need to get the money/ a big enough garden and planning permission.

We wil just have to agree to disagee then but IMO Amanda it not to blame for this.

If they were't really committed to preserving it then they would't have spent money on the Mag brakes.

Yes they threw money at it and I can see they wanted to keep the ride open. But whether or not they could and should have done more we will probably never know.

Anyway, I think it's time I called time on giving my opinions on the Wild Mouses closure. So I shall leave it there and move on.

Wild Mouse 2 please Amanda if you are reading this.

I’ve had to avoid all non-enthusiast reports about the mouse going due to the total rubbish posted in the comments, phrases like “death trap” and crap about the “carts” coming off the track killing people... then there’s the ones saying it gave them whiplash or something after one ride.... if we can manage to sit on it all day long without so much as a headache then what are these people doing to get injured??

95% of the population spend their waking hours staring at monitors or moving one item from X to Y, the biggest effort they have to do is hold their head straight while doing it, so they have no neck muscles to speak of and would get whiplash from driving away from the traffic lights faster than normal, let alone riding a Rollercoaster.

Anyone else tempted to lay a wreath?

Anyone up for a game of ring toss (over the fence) ;)

Your sir name isn't Thompson by any chance? ;)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.