• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I had no idea it re-opened. When did it originally close as The Star? I'm guessing early 2000's?
I can remember loads of interesting photos and memorabilia and also I think part of the bar was interesting souvenirs encased in some sort of perspex.
It was a good pub back in the day. Surprised it ever re-opened as there is hardly any footfall in that area now the south entrance is closed.
Not sure when it closed, but it reopened in 2014 as Apple&Parrot and they had quite a lot of busy nights when they put something on such as bands etc. - still got a Facebook page up https://www.facebook.com/Apple-Parrot-Blackpool-1464308750479690/
Closed in March 2015 due to "circumstances out of our control" but nobody seems to know what those actually were.

At least it'll see that whole corner tidied up (i.e. the old Coasters) now it's being replaced with the new hotel.

Out of interest, does the park still play this horrifically cringy theme song?:

Regular occasional drinker in there over the years.
Never stood a chance once they closed the south gates, just didn't get the footfall of further up the prom, and wasn't on a pubcrawl run either.
Always a good people watching pub, got a complete mixture of a crowd.
Had talent shows and music nights, and the bogs were, at times, some of the very worst of the British isles.
And the first place I shared a beer with dippy.
Ah....bromance.

To add a little more to the Star discussion. The pub has actually been there in one form or another since the very early days of Pleasure Beach. It was however never owned by the Pleasure Beach. This was a thorn in Geoffrey’s side for many years, especially in his vision of improving BPB’s food offerings. There were several attempts to prise the ownership of the Star away and this eventually succeeded, I understand maybe around the mid-90s.

The pub then saw a bit of a renovation. You may remember the lighting added (there were thousands of fairy lights adorning the walls until a few years ago) and the porch at the front was also added. They also changed the signage - if you notice the signs look very similar to the Big Blue Hotel’s older logo.

Fast forward to its closure for several years - this neatly coincided with South entrance’s closure and the massive reduction in foot traffic. There is an irony in Geoffrey spending years trying to acquire the place for it only to be shut down so soon after he eventually did. It did then reopen briefly as the Apple and Parrot as Katy mentioned. This was a franchise.

After this closure it subsequently reopened again and in 2016 had a reasonably successful year as The Star, following a similar concept to the Apple and Parrot. It would open weekends only and have live bands on, which tended to attract quite a few people. This was the park apparently just giving it a go. There was some advertising within BPB for its reopening, however the issue always was that there is very little passing tourist trade, so to be truly successful the marketing for the place would have had to be much more intense to increase awareness.

At the end of the 2016 season the pub again closed with no official word on the reason. It was at that point unclear if it had just closed for the season and would reopen for 2017, or if the closure was for good. It turned out that it would never reopen. The interior as of today has had some abuse although is substantially still there. Obviously we’re likely to see it disappear for good very soon.

I really liked the place. The interior was of a good quality, with the split levels, a handsome long bar against the back wall and plenty of details all around. It was cosy and it always felt like you were stepping back into BPB’s 90s heyday when you were in there. Plus the drinks were generally cheaper than Velvet Coaster.

It’s a real shame to see it go. Hopefully the new bar being built in the upper floor of Coasters will be a decent replacement.

Around 20 years ago we went into The Star one night on my birthday. The main room had a band on and was packed, so we went into a side bar which at the time didn’t realise was “privately booked”

Keith Allen the park manager was stood at the bar and asked how our day had been. When he found out it was my birthday he brought us a drink and invited us to stay in the bar.

It turned out he was hosting the Red Arrows ground crew who were performing at Southport Air Show the next day.

Varies year by year, but it has been known to get up to an hour and a half on very sunny, well forecast days.
A lot of it is down to the weather, some people only collect their season passes on the first nice weekend.
Lots of season pass collections means slow, long queues.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.