• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The Big One is such a weird ride to me. I'd probably rate it among my all-time favourites, even though I think it's a total wasted opportunity, I really enjoy it for what it is; the wind in your hair as you whip along the front, the huge turnaround, and of course, the first drop and lift hill, which still blow me away to this day. On the other hand, it is largely forceless, rough and seemingly falling apart. Part of this is nostalgia, of course, but I still get quite excited whenever I see it or find myself seated on it. I think it's easily one of the best worst coasters in the world. I find it very re-rideable, and just great fun I suppose.

Oh, and the chugging lift-hill noise could rouse me from a coma.

Last edited:
Whether intentional or not, the design of the Big One is very much like a comically overgrown version of classic wooden coasters like its neighbours, and I like that.

Anyone been to pick their season pass up? Felt like a lot of effort for little reward.
I thought it was pretty well run personally, I went in just after 4, about two dozen people ahead of me, and was out the door with my new card, free filter coffee and 2 Mr Funshine shortcake biscuits by half past.
It was different this year as they didn't split off renewals, but compared to printer and puter problems in years gone by, this year seemed pretty smooth.
But considering it overall, they could have opened the Nash for us for a couple of hours.

@rob666 @Dipper_Dave Apologies - my phrasing was poor. I didn't go and don't plan to. Trekking all the way to Blackpook for the sake of hanging around for 15/20 mins to collect it on an operating day didn't seem worth it.

I use it as an excuse to play out at the coast, have a freezing bike ride up the coast in a Gale, stroll the shops, have a beer in the Velvet Coaster, pinball on the south pier, and can now sneak in via the arena instead of the monster main entrance queue.
The alternative for the afternoon was ...work.
They also gave us a leaflet encouraging using the arena entrance, and a list of the discounts...to wave at the poor till staff who haven't been told.

Must admit there is something special about being pulled out of the queue..even had it on Infusion...There was a single rider on the front seat Rob, then I spotted you in the queue.
Top level service on more than one occasion, and always makes me smile.

Season passes are on sale at £125 on the website now, REALLY annoyed as I paid full price for mine a couple of weeks ago.

Can you only get a platinum pass on the registeration days?
No, can get one any day the park is open, the registration days are just so you don't have to wait around for them to print the pass on your first visit.

@rob666 @Dipper_Dave Apologies - my phrasing was poor. I didn't go and don't plan to. Trekking all the way to Blackpook for the sake of hanging around for 15/20 mins to collect it on an operating day didn't seem worth it.

No worries. Yes I thought you meant that you’d been but were disappointed. I know what you mean though, that said I’ve collected my previous two on registration days & probably would have this time if I wasn’t working on them

Anyone know when the Star is being demolished? Went in there for a session or two back in the 90's and I seem to remember loads of interesting memorabilia all over the building. Has it been closed since the South Entrance closed?
Shame to demolish such an old building but it serves no purpose currently.
Hopefully some stuff from inside will be saved for display in the new hotel.

It re-opened a couple of years ago for a while, then closed and re-opened again, then closed again. I think it's currently in the process of being demolished - there's a skip at the back so they're probably stripping the inside before it comes down.

I knew The Star was closed, but I had no idea PBB ever lost the lease on it, and I totally missed it's brief reopening. I suppose The Velvet Coaster up the prom easily trounced it.

Somewhat off-topic, but does anyone have a rough idea of how many guests the park attracts these days, now that the change in entrance infrastructure and costs is well established. I know it's obviously down on the 7.4 million it was getting in the mid-nineties.

Incidentally, I'm glad that Icon has sparked a renewed interest in PBB, even if mine started to tail off even when it was still BPB. The park went through a very rough time, but there's still nowhere like it, and the heritage, dynamics and even the politics of the park's evolution are consistently fascinating.

I think I’ve only ever been in The Star once, on Aug 16 ‘Ride The Lights’ night. From memory there wasn’t any historical stuff on the walls. Yes it’s a really old building and noticeable on many photos, postcards, etc. But to my knowledge it’s many years since it’s been successful so something new might as well replace it

I knew The Star was closed, but I had no idea PBB ever lost the lease on it, and I totally missed it's brief reopening. I suppose The Velvet Coaster up the prom easily trounced it.

Incidentally, I'm glad that Icon has sparked a renewed interest in PBB, even if mine started to tail off even when it was still BPB. The park went through a very rough time, but there's still nowhere like it, and the heritage, dynamics and even the politics of the park's evolution are consistently fascinating.
It re-opened under "Apple and Parrot" then closed a bit later, not sure what exactly happened but it sounded like BPB shut it down. Whether it was BPB operating as a franchise as Apple&Parrot or if they leased it out, not sure, but ultimately BPB can do what they like with it as owner of the land and building.

They changed back from PBB to BPB a few years ago, I think roundabout when Wallace & Gromit opened all the ride cars etc were branded "Blackpool Pleasure Beach" as was any mention of the park on the park PA system, and the website changed back too.

Think I last went in the Star in June 2016, got a pint and sat outside in the sun. The place was empty inside, was surprised to see it had even opened again.

I had no idea it re-opened. When did it originally close as The Star? I'm guessing early 2000's?
I can remember loads of interesting photos and memorabilia and also I think part of the bar was interesting souvenirs encased in some sort of perspex.
It was a good pub back in the day. Surprised it ever re-opened as there is hardly any footfall in that area now the south entrance is closed.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.