• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Seriously guys? Valhalla in February?!
It's the only thing I personally went on. A lot of waiting in Nickelodeon Land and Icon viewing.

No trommel, Odin, river of fire (one half), no water falls. Ice room was hotter than the rest of the ride. No vortex, hammers, rolling log, flaming arrows, ring of fire or boat fire.

Last edited:
Pleasure Beach really don't look after their dark rides anymore :(

Scenes missing from Ghost Train, River Caves looks worse than ever and don't even get me started on the disco lights in Valhalla!

Whilst it's not ideal, the dark rides have always been fairly dodgy at the start of the season, April & May time is when they usually seem to be at their best.

In River Caves I did notice a new/rethemed underwater scene. Good to see the god awful bubble tubes disappear. A little new audio around in there too, with some new lighting in the Egyptian scene. The other scenes did look a little unloved though.

Oh and they got a new water wheel.

@Poopoohead I believe it was to keep the path below the turnaround clear. Unlike modern track, the track sits upon the support structure, rather than being part of it. Therefore, the supports hold up the truss and the track sits atop it. You can see the previous path of the track from the work in 1997.

They're essentially the same as the ones after the Star hill too.

@Poopoohead I believe it was to keep the path below the turnaround clear. Unlike modern track, the track sits upon the support structure, rather than being part of it. Therefore, the supports hold up the truss and the track sits atop it. You can see the previous path of the track from the work in 1997.

They're essentially the same as the ones after the Star hill too.

I think there’s some information on this in one of the PMBO documentaries and it says exactly this.

Interesting to note those supports are also after the MCBR. Assuming this is for the same reason in that they wanted to keep the sight lines around PBE relatively unimpeded.

I think there’s some information on this in one of the PMBO documentaries and it says exactly this.

Interesting to note those supports are also after the MCBR. Assuming this is for the same reason in that they wanted to keep the sight lines around PBE relatively unimpeded.
Are these documentaries on you tube?

Pleasure Beach really don't look after their dark rides anymore :(

Scenes missing from Ghost Train, River Caves looks worse than ever and don't even get me started on the disco lights in Valhalla!
It's not that they don't look after them anymore Jamie, it's just that budgets aren't what they use to be.
They are doing the best they can with the budgets they have.

Give it time and lets see what Icon's success brings and what sore of impact that has on the park.

They have quite a lot of dark rides too for a park that isn't exactly huge. It would be impossible (pun intended) to keep on top of them all, especially given the budget the park must have.

Valhalla clearly the stand out of the bunch but you've got W&G, River caves, Impossible, Ghost Train & Alice ride as well to think of. Still can't believe it's 10 years since we lost Trauma Towers too.

Are these documentaries on you tube?
I'd like to see this too.
I think the history of The Big One is fascinating from stuff I've read and picked up on forums over the years. It's a real Frankenstein coaster. All sorts of changes and compromises since the original plans were drawn up not to mention the crashes.
Then there's things that would only happen in Blackpool like weddings at the top and a formula one car going round the track!
Someone really should make a documentary about the history of the ride to date. I really don't know much about the re-profiling work.
I remember when I first rode it in 1994, I was 12 and terrified. I remember being really underwhelmed with the first drop as it looked so terrifying.
I have since grown to love it for what it is but it could have been so much more.
Maybe one day Blackpool will get the Mega Coaster it deserves. The Mega Mouse anyone?

They have quite a lot of dark rides too for a park that isn't exactly huge. It would be impossible (pun intended) to keep on top of them all, especially given the budget the park must have.
Exactly!

Hopefully If Icon brings in enough people and as a result more money into the place maybe budgets might get bigger in the future.

Valhalla clearly the stand out of the bunch but you've got W&G, River caves, Impossible, Ghost Train & Alice ride as well to think of. Still can't believe it's 10 years since we lost Trauma Towers too.
God I miss Truama Towers a lot!:(

Nipped back today without small people. Went on the Dipper and the Derby Racer and retreated to Spoons.

Same rides closed + Big One due to wind.

Too old for this hobby in these conditions. Joyless.

Nipped back today without small people. Went on the Dipper and the Derby Racer and retreated to Spoons.

Same rides closed + Big One due to wind.

Too old for this hobby in these conditions. Joyless.

I'm same. Not even bothering until end March. It's too cold for me these days Feb at the PB.

I'm same. Not even bothering until end March. It's too cold for me these days Feb at the PB.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just inadequate clothing !!

Spent 4 hours on park today and really enjoyed my first visit of the year.

Did avalanche in a hail storm which just made it more realistic!

Sad to see a fence where my favourite coaster once stood but they've tidied the area up well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Fantastic day today, Icon is looking spectacular but there has to be one key highlight from the day.........

Staff have been trained on season pass discounts!!!

Flawless all day, every staff member knew.

Icon looks really cool from the videos/photos I have seen. Can't say I would have been one to have relished a day in Blackpool in the cold and damp, but I am glad some did so we have the footage!

Excited to check out Icon and hope it lives up to what Mack are capable of!

:)

@MakoMania Do you know if they can be used in BPK?
Yep. Used them today.

Bit of a faff as had to use all 3 of our passes to get 3 meals and had to pay for each one separately. But at least you can use them in BPK.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.