• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Think I had about 8 laps in quick succession on the opening Sunday and had no issues with it. I still enjoy it but it's not as great as it used to be. New trains would be great.

Is it just me who doesn't have any issue with the way Nash runs in terms of ride comfort? Back row is absolutely brilliant getting thrown into the seats, so raucous!

I do agree that the original trains were better as they allowed more airtime, and were much more efficient.

Ride comfort and Nash in the same sentence?! Let me make it clear that I absolutely love Nash, in fact since Wild Mouse has gone, Nash has been getting a hammering from me. I noticed last time that there are now some raised padded back support things on the back row of the trains, they kind of look like car spoilers. I haven't actually ridden the back row since they were put on, but I guess they are to minimize possible complaints of discomfort on said row. I much prefer row 8 to the back row. You still get the sensation of being dragged over the hills, but not the roughness of being over the wheels that the back row gives. If you want the tamest possible Nash ride, slap bang in the middle of the train, row 5, is about as 'comfortable' as it gets !

As a southern fairy, I have no sentimental attachment to BPB. In fact I’ve only ever visited for a full day once which was last season (the other was the day after a booze up in Blackpool just to get a ride on Big One before going home).

In my unbiased opinion, the removal of the mouse is a promising sign for the future of the park. Whilst us coaster dorks love an old woodie, the general public won’t keep coming back to ride them. To compete with the Merlin parks, they need to install fresh, modern attractions that will bring in new guests and repeat visitors.

Personally I find the park very tacky and run down, so perhaps Icon indicates a new direction they’re looking to move into with its clean and modern theme and smooth ride experience.

I guess we will have to wait and see what they eventually put in Mouses space. I don’t think there would be too many complaints if it turns out to be one of these cheap and compact single rail RMC coasters for example.

Don’t get me wrong it’s always sad to see a classic get torn down, especially with no warning. I’m glad I got to experience the coaster and it was great fun. Going forward hopefully they can modernise the park whilst keeping some of their traditional values.

As a southern fairy, I have no sentimental attachment to BPB. In fact I’ve only ever visited for a full day once which was last season (the other was the day after a booze up in Blackpool just to get a ride on Big One before going home).

In my unbiased opinion, the removal of the mouse is a promising sign for the future of the park. Whilst us coaster dorks love an old woodie, the general public won’t keep coming back to ride them. To compete with the Merlin parks, they need to install fresh, modern attractions that will bring in new guests and repeat visitors.

Personally I find the park very tacky and run down, so perhaps Icon indicates a new direction they’re looking to move into with its clean and modern theme and smooth ride experience.

I guess we will have to wait and see what they eventually put in Mouses space. I don’t think there would be too many complaints if it turns out to be one of these cheap and compact single rail RMC coasters for example.

Don’t get me wrong it’s always sad to see a classic get torn down, especially with no warning. I’m glad I got to experience the coaster and it was great fun. Going forward hopefully they can modernise the park whilst keeping some of their traditional values.
I don't agree with this entirely, Pleasure Beach does need to invest in new rides to compete but incredibly unique and different rides like the Wild Mouse are what put BPB leagues ahead of the Merlin parks. Any park can build a new coaster (within budgets etc of course), but only BPB could claim to own a wooden wild mouse.

Having different rides to those found elsewhere is a major selling point for BPB in my opinion, and they need to be careful with what they remove. They run the risk of becoming "just another generic amusement park" if the park loses many more of the unique rides.

As a southern fairy, I have no sentimental attachment to BPB. In fact I’ve only ever visited for a full day once which was last season

In my unbiased opinion, the removal of the mouse is a promising sign for the future of the park. Whilst us coaster dorks love an old woodie, the general public won’t keep coming back to ride them.

We’re all entitled to our opinions about any given park, and I DO have sentimental attachment to BPB, but I’m not sure in what world the Wild Mouse being removed is “a promising sign for the future of the park.” I doubt there could ever possibly be a ride so insanely fun that would sit in a footprint like that.

Also, one comment I will disagree vigorously with, whenever I see it typed on any forum, is this “The general public didn’t like it” comment. There was never a shortage of people waiting to ride it, there is no way that the vast majority of riders on a given day were coaster enthusiasts only otherwise you’d have busy days with only 20 people or less queueing for it. I appreciate that the throughput wasn’t great but that’s not the sole reason it held a queue. It held a queue because it was a quirky, fun, unique and brilliant ride that people loved going on.

I have said this before, but in the Mouse’s final season on the days it was ‘closed for maintenance’, I overheard many conversations in the park from people stating their disappointment at it being closed that day. Most of those did not appear to coaster fanatics. So it’s unfair to tarnish the whole GP with the same brush and say that they ‘didn’t like’ Wild Mouse, as many of them did.

If you don’t like BPB then fair enough, we can’t make you like it, but I agree with @Coaster in that the park is totally unique and the many historic attractions make it what it is today. It’s not just a museum as Icon proves, and I’m sure over time it will continue to evolve. But for most BPB fans, it is ride line up that brings them back. I would take BPB over a Merlin park any day or somewhere like Flamingoland which has a high turnover of rides and probably doesn’t have anything of historic value or a coaster that’s over 15 years old

I get that they had their reasons for taking it out but let's not kid ourselves here. Future developments was not the reason Wild Mouse was taken out. We're not getting a new coaster in that spot any time soon.

Icon is their first new coaster in 24 years, I can't imagine they'll be rushing to install another one anytime soon.

In what way is the removal of a unique wooden coaster (that was ignoring it's historical importance still a bloody good ride!) a promising sign for the future?

So the public won't come back to ride wooden coasters? Well the last time a new steel coaster went in was 1994. Since then the line for the almost 100 year old Big Dipper has remained consistent as far as I can tell, while that of the nearly 90 year old Nickelodeon Streak has only increased (thanks to being painted bright orange and given a bloody silly name) so clearly the public WILL come to BPB for these rides.

What they find here is something different, and I for one am glad that BPB don't just install gimmicks to try 'keep up' with merlin. Give me the BPB ride line up any day.

RMC....what is the obsession with them these days?

I’m not trying to wind anyone up here, just trying to provide a view from an ‘outsiders’ perspective. I’d be equally furious if Thorpe removed Colossus for example, as it’s a coaster I grew up with.

Sure these coasters still get long queues but how much of that is down to the low capacity and poor operations?

People are getting more cautious these days and if they come off a ride with a sore neck they’ll avoid it completely in future. I read a popular non-coaster forum and there was a wicker man thread where someone mentioned Wild Mouses removal - the phrase ‘death trap’ was banded about a lot. Whilst we think it’s fun getting thrown about on a coaster, most people do not.

Personally there’s nothing at BPB that makes me want to go back in a hurry so hopefully Icon changes that.

Again I’m not bashing the place, it has its charm and I completely understand why people enjoy visiting - but it’s not for everyone. Perhaps a bit too niche for them to bring in the big profit they need.

I read a popular non-coaster forum and there was a wicker man thread where someone mentioned Wild Mouses removal - the phrase ‘death trap’ was banded about a lot. Whilst we think it’s fun getting thrown about on a coaster, most people do not.

The phrase ‘death trap’ used in connection with a roller coaster by the GP is frankly ridiculous. If a ride was genuinely dangerous and highly likely to cause death or serious injury, then A) it would probably never have been built to begin with, B) someone would have died on it by now, or C) it would have shut down years ago. I struggle to accept that a ride that has operated for FIFTY NINE YEARS without major incident ‘cannot get insurance’ whilst rides that have actually seen a death on them continue to operate.

In my opinion referring to a ride such as Wild Mouse as a ‘death trap’ is offensive to the (legendary) staff who built the ride and the equally legendary staff who have maintained the ride for all these years and operated it daily after carrying out the necessary safety checks. Would you get your car back from an MOT & service and drive around with a frown on your face later on saying “This car is a death trap.” No, you trust in the competency of the professionals who have checked and maintained it and deemed it safe to drive.

Let it also be noted that Sir Hiram Maxim’s Captive Flying Machines, as well as Valhalla, do not have ANY restraints whatsoever, while Alice in Wonderland of all rides has a seat belt! I wonder if the same GP members would also consider Flying Machines and Valhalla to be ‘death traps !

Sure these coasters still get long queues but how much of that is down to the low capacity and poor operations?

People are getting more cautious these days and if they come off a ride with a sore neck they’ll avoid it completely in future. I read a popular non-coaster forum and there was a wicker man thread where someone mentioned Wild Mouses removal - the phrase ‘death trap’ was banded about a lot. Whilst we think it’s fun getting thrown about on a coaster, most people do not.

Personally there’s nothing at BPB that makes me want to go back in a hurry so hopefully Icon changes that.

Again I’m not bashing the place, it has its charm and I completely understand why people enjoy visiting - but it’s not for everyone. Perhaps a bit too niche for them to bring in the big profit they need.

There is no question that the Streak could use a second train, if I were running the park that would be one of my first things I'd sort. However you have to be ignorant to suggest that it's popularity hasn't increased in recent years, even with its undisputed capacity issues.

Again, as has been said above, a death trap with a clean safety record? How does that work?! Yet no one called the Space Invader a death trap when someone actually died on it? You have to question that logic.....you really do.

In my opinion referring to a ride such as Wild Mouse as a ‘death trap’ is offensive to the (legendary) staff who built the ride and the equally legendary staff who have maintained the ride for all these years and operated it daily after carrying out the necessary safety checks. Would you get your car back from an MOT & service and drive around with a frown on your face later on saying “This car is a death trap.” No, you trust in the competency of the professionals who have checked and maintained it and deemed it safe to drive.

This is just a little melodramatic, no?! Part of the inherent appeal of The Mouse (also often referred to as 'The Mouse Trap' by the GP), was the very wild nature of it's namesake. I grew up with my Dad convincing me that The Big One was "nothing" compared to Wild Mouse, and he wasn't half wrong. Nobody stepped off the ride and felt respect to the maintenance staff, although perhaps it's reputation for being just a bit too wild caught up with in the end. But for years, especially in the pay-per-ride days, it's edge is what kept it notorious and arguably, popular.

But, as has been observed, we now live in a very different era of the park.

Death Trap: "a place, structure, or vehicle that is potentially very dangerous."

An apt description really from a non-enthusiast point of view... ESPECIALLY when it's describing Wild Mouse... Enthusiast joy came from the near death turn into the Ghost Train building, I doubt many GP thought the same...

The clue is in the name, WILD Mouse. If you went on the Big Dipper and found it as tall as the Blue Flyer you'd feel short changed. If you went on the Tea Cups and it turned out to be a Monorail you'd be right to question the workings of the management's mind. If you went on the Wild Mouse and found a ride like Thirteen, the ride wouldn't be true to its name.

You can't blame BPB for the fact that several thousand steel copies of the ride have arisen since it opened that aren't anywhere near as good. It is literally like Mack building modern day Big Dippers 40ft high, with a top speed of 20mph and trimming them around the layout, then turning up at BPB and having a melt down because they are running a ride under the same name that actually does what it says on the tin.

Death Trap: "a place, structure, or vehicle that is potentially very dangerous."

An apt description really from a non-enthusiast point of view... ESPECIALLY when it's describing Wild Mouse... Enthusiast joy came from the near death turn into the Ghost Train building, I doubt many GP thought the same...
An apt description? Really?

No major injuries in 59 years service sending round millions of guests over that time. I would hardly say that equates to very dangerous!

What the ride did do is give the feeling of danger even though it was perfectly safe. And its something that unfortunately it did too well for it's own good.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just because there's been no actual recorded (the amount of unreported incidents at parks is hilariously high) injuries does not stop it from LOOKING FROM A VISUAL PERSPECTIVE like one...

Think about it logically, as you were stood outside the ride for the first time (or indeed, any other times); did it look like it was actually safe? The cars careening around the track with the noises for any non-discerning visitor WOULD look almost dangerous... It goes hand in hand with that old "wooden coasters are unsafe" schtick for years...

Think the last time I rode it was with two people squeezed into the car, it was actually terrifying, on that borderline of enjoyable terror to life flashing before eyes terror... That was the joy of the Wild Mouse, but also the curse within the wider circles of those visiting...

Just because there's been no actual recorded (the amount of unreported incidents at parks is hilariously high) injuries does not stop it from LOOKING FROM A VISUAL PERSPECTIVE like one...

Think about it logically, as you were stood outside the ride for the first time (or indeed, any other times); did it look like it was actually safe? The cars careening around the track with the noises for any non-discerning visitor WOULD look almost dangerous... It goes hand in hand with that old "wooden coasters are unsafe" schtick for years...

Think the last time I rode it was with two people squeezed into the car, it was actually terrifying, on that borderline of enjoyable terror to life flashing before eyes terror... That was the joy of the Wild Mouse, but also the curse within the wider circles of those visiting...
Yes that's the point. It looked terrifying and felt terrifying. But at the same time was actually very safe apart from the odd bruise.

It did exactly what a coaster should but in the end it just did it too well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yep it looked and sounded fine, was all operating as it should do and people had no issue queueing for it. Must have passed its inspections like any other ride so for those who didn't like it, that is their personal preference.

The ride was completely safe provided you were sat in the expected way, to say it was a "death trap" or unsafe is factually incorrect.

Rides are supposed to be thrilling and scary so Wild Mouse did its job perfectly.

And that right there was the problem.
So we lost one of the best rides in the world because of morons who chose not to abide by the rules clearly displayed at the ride entrance.

They should've been kicked out of the park and given a permament ban!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.