• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Someone certainly did....She has had it in for the Mouse since she arrived from her previous job (management at Pleasureland, prior to that, management at Camelot.....I won't publicly post my thoughts on her working at BPB)

One thing that still puzzles me to this day while we are talking about past accidents and restraints ect is how does Valhalla, with its 60ft drops, fast moving water, and fire effects get away without and form of belt!

^Because it's smooth, doesn't have any forces that would eject riders and is not violent.

Much of this discussion that magament wanted Mouse gone is laughable when they spent thousands on a new ride system less than a year before its closure.

A few pics from Blackpool yesterday, Icon construction. Brought a t shirt and mug from the shop, total price £20.

20180509_123342.jpg

20180509_123415.jpg

20180509_145035.jpg

20180509_124137.jpg

Someone certainly did....She has had it in for the Mouse since she arrived from her previous job (management at Pleasureland, prior to that, management at Camelot.....I won't publicly post my thoughts on her working at BPB)
Good thing The Thompsons are the one that had the final say, otherwise it might of gone sooner.

Insurance firms wouldn’t touch Mouse with a barge pole after an incident occurred on it last summer. Pleasure Beach did not plan for it to close hence the £1000s spent on new brakes and ride parts.
My point exactly!

there is no way in hell they would've spent that money if they weren't at least trying to keep the thing going, I honestly think some people are just looking for an excuse to dig a knife in to the owners, which is a bit pathetic really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing The Thompsons are the one that had the final say, otherwise it might of gone sooner.

All I can say to that is hmmmmm.

there is no way in hell they would've spent that money if they weren't at least trying to keep the thing going, I honestly think some people are just looking for an excuse to dig a knife in to the owners, which is a bit pathetic really.

People and businesses change their mind. What was spent on the ride was already spent so it would have had no baring on the final decision. They (maybe just Amanda - maybe others) took a purely business decision which I believe was a bad one because they could have done more and should have done more to preserve one of the worlds most historic amusement park rides. The mouse was a ride worth saving - maybe not at all costs but worth trying harder for.

If you want to believe the park were right then that's fine by me but you seem to have done a complete u-turn on your opinion since the ride was first demolished.

I think they made an extremely bad decision but I am not digging the knife into anyone, I just think they were wrong to get rid of it and I don't believe it had to go. I am also 100% sure it would be operating today if Icon wasn't due to open this season.

Last edited:
I can't be sympathetic with the owners really, they knew how much Wild Mouse meant to enthusiasts and didn't even tell us what was going on. Most parks at least announce that a coaster will be removed.

I don't buy the insurance argument either, how come the Wild Mouse in Australia, or Leap the Dips, or the other, older wooden roller coasters at Blackpool are still operating?

I can't be sympathetic with the owners really, they knew how much Wild Mouse meant to enthusiasts and didn't even tell us what was going on. Most parks at least announce that a coaster will be removed.
THIS! 100% agree.

Regarding why it was removed, I refer to the official statement eventually released by BPB;

"Our current winter work programme has seen the permanent closure and dismantling of the Wild Mouse and the removal of the facade of the former Trauma Towers attractions. This will create an area for future exciting developments.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach is a constantly evolving amusement park and has been for the past 122 years. The changes it has seen over the years are what has made it the great park it is today. This, coupled with a relatively small amount of space, means that in order to progress and look to the future we occasionally alter the landscape of the park to make way for future developments."

This cites future developments and "progress" for the reason for removing Wild Mouse, and as this is what the park chose to tell us, this IMO is where we should form our opinions from.

BPB handled this terribly and deserve all the criticism they're getting I think.

Last edited:
THIS! 100% agree.

Regarding why it was removed, I refer to the official statement eventually released by BPB;

"Our current winter work programme has seen the permanent closure and dismantling of the Wild Mouse and the removal of the facade of the former Trauma Towers attractions. This will create an area for future exciting developments.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach is a constantly evolving amusement park and has been for the past 122 years. The changes it has seen over the years are what has made it the great park it is today. This, coupled with a relatively small amount of space, means that in order to progress and look to the future we occasionally alter the landscape of the park to make way for future developments."

This cites future developments and "progress" for the reason for removing Wild Mouse, and as this is what the park chose to tell us, this IMO is where we should form our opinions from.

BPB handled this terribly and deserve all the criticism they're getting I think.

With the greatest of respect (and I mean that quite sincerely) what else do you expect?

Yes, I don't buy the 'noone in the office' line. We all know that a job like that requires a demolition team to come in which is booked in advance, you don' phone them up at 2pm, they rock up at 2.15, bring down a coaster and be home in time for tea. These things are known about in advance by the people at the top. If they aren' passed onto the relevant department to allow a statement to be made that's a very different (and very stupid) thing.

That said, no statement was ever going to say 'we are sick of all the negative feedback we are getting about the ride, coupled with rising insurance costs and general maintenance becoming an issue so it's going'

That may have been more truthful, but you will never get them to publicly say it.

If you want to believe the park were right then that's fine by me but you seem to have done a complete u-turn on your opinion since the ride was first demolished.
How exactly have I done a U-turn?

I was heartbroken when I found out it had been removed and I still am.

If you're going to be angry at anybody for this it should be the idiots that cause this to happen in other words the people putting claims/ calling the ride a death trap and nonsense like that.

If anybody should be getting flak for all of this it should be those people not the Thompson family but that's just my opinion on the matter.

If you're going to be angry at anybody for this it should be the idiots that cause this to happen in other words the people putting claims/ calling the ride a death trap and nonsense like that.

If anybody should be getting flak for all of this it should be those people not the Thompson family but that's just my opinion on the matter.

I am not angry or heartbroken. Very disappointed but not angry. A bit puzzled when people think PB are totally blameless but not angry.

PB knocked it down and as Jamie (coaster) quite rightly pointed out, their official reason for doing so is all we can go on, and that reason simply isn't good enough.

I love the park, it is still the best in the UK for me despite its faults and some very odd decisions by the owners in the last 2 or 3 seasons.

I won't stop visiting and I can't wait to ride icon which the thompson's need applauding for, but I will always hold them at least partly responsible for bulldozing an extremely historic coaster.

If they can officially provide a better explanation as to why it HAD TO BE removed then I may well forgive them but until then I can't really blame anyone else.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
With the greatest of respect (and I mean that quite sincerely) what else do you expect?

Yes, I don't buy the 'noone in the office' line. We all know that a job like that requires a demolition team to come in which is booked in advance, you don' phone them up at 2pm, they rock up at 2.15, bring down a coaster and be home in time for tea. These things are known about in advance by the people at the top. If they aren' passed onto the relevant department to allow a statement to be made that's a very different (and very stupid) thing.

That said, no statement was ever going to say 'we are sick of all the negative feedback we are getting about the ride, coupled with rising insurance costs and general maintenance becoming an issue so it's going'

That may have been more truthful, but you will never get them to publicly say it.
Something along these lines would have been much more suitable, IMO;

"We are very sorry to have to announce with deep sadness that the Wild Mouse roller coaster will no longer form part of the ride lineup here at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

Over the course of the past few years, we heavily invested in trying everything we can to sustain the future of this ride, but unfortunately on this occasion this has not been possible and the ride has come to the end of its operating lifespan.

We appreciate this is sad news for fans of the Wild Mouse, and therefore would like to encourage people to share their best memories of this wonderful ride here"

There could have also been an event and/or display about the ride in the park.

Towing the corporate "it's progress" line (as they did) and trying to gloss over it was the worst possible way of handling it, IMO.

Last edited:
^Because it's smooth, doesn't have any forces that would eject riders and is not violent.

Much of this discussion that magament wanted Mouse gone is laughable when they spent thousands on a new ride system less than a year before its closure.

Really? You obviously haven't had a knee bashing when the Valhalla boat corners like a tank at the top of each lift hill. At least the sides of the mice were padded. I've had far worse knee bruises on those Valhalla turns than I ever had on Nash & Mouse.

Something along these lines would have been much more suitable, IMO;

"We are very sorry to have to announce with deep sadness that the Wild Mouse roller coaster will no longer form part of the ride lineup here at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

Over the course of the past few years, we heavily invested in trying everything we can to sustain the future of this ride, but unfortunately on this occasion this has not been possible and the ride has come to the end of its operating lifespan.

We appreciate this is sad news for fans of the Wild Mouse, and therefore would like to encourage people to share their best memories of this wonderful ride here"

There could have also been an event and/or display about the ride in the park.

Towing the corporate "it's progress" line (as they did) and trying to gloss over it was the worst possible way of handling it, IMO.

I propose Jamie for PR Manager at the BPB. Does anyone second this? You may need to slightly tone down your use of the phrase 'Completely unacceptable' to perform said role though ;)

After the incident last summer new style belts were fitted which resolved the alleged issue of a seat belt coming undone accidentally. That should have satisfied the insurers.

Also as far as I am aware there was never a serious injury on the mouse in its 59 years of operation. Other rides that continue to operate in the UK have had major injuries or worse but still get insured.....

This is a very interesting point. Many rides have had serious injury and/or death yet continue to operate. I get that Mouse was a love it or hate it 'Marmite' ride, but surely it was safe, otherwise why would it have operated for so long?

Last edited:
I love the "snowflake" argument that's getting thrown about lately; people getting offended and upset at people being offended and upset is hilarious to me. (not just in this thread, but the world at large too)

I think Nash *now* is awful and needs major work. I don't hate it, I still think the layout is pretty fun and clever, but I only ride it once a year now to check it's still pants, and it's gotten consistently worse year-on-year. Before the fire and the rubbish trains and dreadful rework of the controls, it was a cracking ride that was a mainstay in every visit. The airtime on the double down was unparalleled, especially in this country. But now, the trains crash back down to the track, with no give or support. The beginning of the end for me was when they put the seat dividers in, but that's just because I've got a big arse and didn't fit very well. It needs either brand new trains, or the old ones refurbished, and major track replacement to repair the damage these naff ones have done.

I guess I just don't like rides that I actively have to "ride" or anticipate and brace. Wild Mouse was good because it was out of control, but you could just there and let it happen to you and it was fun. Nash, on the other hand, needs you to brace for the drops and you can't just relax and go with it. The same is true for Infusion, you have to move you head forwards and anticipate the jolts to make sure your head is on the ride side of the restraint to not get it smashed in.

It needs either brand new trains, or the old ones refurbished, and major track replacement to repair the damage these naff ones have done.
Agreed!

IMO the best option would be to rebuild the old ones bot with modern brake finns underneth.

I love the "snowflake" argument that's getting thrown about lately; people getting offended and upset at people being offended and upset is hilarious to me. (not just in this thread, but the world at large too)
Dose anybody on hear know what the mainning of being called a snowflake is?

To be fair, they are clearly aware Nash is not running the way it should be and have done some track work on the first drop over closed season to try and improve it. I don't ride often enough to know for sure, but it seemed OK in February

Is it just me who doesn't have any issue with the way Nash runs in terms of ride comfort? Back row is absolutely brilliant getting thrown into the seats, so raucous!

I do agree that the original trains were better as they allowed more airtime, and were much more efficient.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.