• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Yes I forgot how bad the scanners can be. I went through 3 wristbands on my last visit until I got a wristband that worked and got called Goldilocks for the rest of the day.

Ah that's something that could definitely improve. Even if it was just the ability to scan your season pass in lieu of a wristband. The reason that I mentioned card, is that they would probably require some photo ID to deter someone paying £6 and borrowing a wristband.

Its certain ones that seem to be particularly bad. On Steeplechase after a short try at scanning, if it doesn't work the staff normally just push the button / scan that card they have and let you through. Avalanche is a funny one because the wristband's on your right wrist but the scanner is on your left which makes it a bit awkward. I get the point about needing photo ID, but to be honest I think I'd rather have a wristband than have to take a card out of a pocket 25 times a visit. Also chances are the cards would snap a few times a season on the rides, if slipped loosely into a pocket, as it would be even more a pain to take the card out of your wallet and put it back in for every ride

Its certain ones that seem to be particularly bad. On Steeplechase after a short try at scanning, if it doesn't work the staff normally just push the button / scan that card they have and let you through. Avalanche is a funny one because the wristband's on your right wrist but the scanner is on your left which makes it a bit awkward. I get the point about needing photo ID, but to be honest I think I'd rather have a wristband than have to take a card out of a pocket 25 times a visit. Also chances are the cards would snap a few times a season on the rides, if slipped loosely into a pocket, as it would be even more a pain to take the card out of your wallet and put it back in for every ride
Yeah, Steeplechase's one always seems to be dodgy.

Mouse's scanner was broken throughout most of 2017.

I just had a thought; if BPB wants profit, why don't they bring back Jim Roland from the 1990s Pleasure Beach documentary? He certainly seemed as though he wanted the park making money! ;)

For example:
*The operators are toying with whether to open the Big One*
Jim: "What's the wind speed?"
Operator: "Bouncing between 45 and 47!"
Jim: "WELL GET THE DAMN THING OPEN!"

That was before wristbands when running rides at max capacity was their prime source of revenue.

These days hardly anyone uses tokens so how many rides people go on is less of a concern for the park.

I just had a thought; if BPB wants profit, why don't they bring back Jim Roland from the 1990s Pleasure Beach documentary? He certainly seemed as though he wanted the park making money! ;)

For example:
*The operators are toying with whether to open the Big One*
Jim: "What's the wind speed?"
Operator: "Bouncing between 45 and 47!"
Jim: "WELL GET THE DAMN THING OPEN!"
The good old days where the customer mattered, mainly because if the customer wasn’t happy they didn’t make money.

Over the years I've been quite critical of the way the Pleasure Beach is managed. Ever since the way they shut down Pleasureland Southport to be honest. But to be fair views on health and safety have changed a lot since the 90s. Alton Towers were heavily criticised for potentially allowing the Smiler to run in winds that were too high. Behind the scenes parks can be put under a lot of pressure to do things that arguably kill the guest experience.

I don't agree with all the management decisions at the Pleasure Beach and I certainly don't think the place is as good as it used to be, but I don't think the managers do sit around saying, 'We've got their money, so let's not bother', just as I don't think the managers at Merlin deliberately destroy throughputs to sell more Fast Tracks. I doubt it's as calculated as that.

This has just been posted (not by me!) to a Pleasure Beach History Facebook group, I assume it must be unofficial?

30926249707_d9c159866f_m.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/516381961854058/

And the closed season wind-ups begin. Nash needs new trains and maybe some retracking. The layout is great and a timeless classic. I’d be sad to see it go as is, but I’d still rather it be RMC’d than the area flattened for a non-coaster ride / attraction. Probably nothing in this at all.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.