• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Have Pleasure Beach's social media team been taking lessons from Thorpe?

30956253047_4e514bbe80_m.jpg

Considering this has come from the park's official Twitter page, this is either a shockingly unprofessional "joke" or there is some truth in it.

Or they just have a sense of humour! I've not checked it for a long while but Universal Orlando's Twitter feed/replies always used to be a good laugh with lots of digs at Disney. Technically unprofessional but very amusing!

Or they just have a sense of humour! I've not checked it for a long while but Universal Orlando's Twitter feed/replies always used to be a good laugh with lots of digs at Disney. Technically unprofessional but very amusing!
Yeah it's great when parks (or businesses in general) show a personality online, and humour is usually good... just this in particular, it seems a bit odd that they'd want to start rumours like this about one of their own rides, especially after last winter.

It feels like they've looked at Thorpe's Twitter page and gone "ooh that's cool, we should do that!"

It feels like they've looked at Thorpe's Twitter page and gone "ooh that's cool, we should do that!"

Or maybe there is actually something in it :)

If you ignore the fact that the ride is now listed, I actually think a brand new woodie on the site of the Nash would be a massive success for the park and I find it difficult to believe that many would prefer Nash as a ride than what a modern wooden replacement could bring.

But it is of course listed which makes it a lot more difficult to remove. If they could find some space elsewhere to build a new wooden coaster then it would be great to see them get their record back for the most woodies in a park.

One thing I think most people agree on is that Nash is in desperate need of some TLC and it is not doing the park any favours in its current state. It's far too rough to be enjoyed by the majority of people.

One thing I think most people agree on is that Nash is in desperate need of some TLC and it is not doing the park any favours in its current state. It's far too rough to be enjoyed by the majority of people.

Yes, this is undeniable. When I visited the park towards the end of the season, I'd say at least half of the guests on the cycle of trains I was on came off the ride commenting on it's brutal nature. Of course, not all of these people seemed visibly upset or shaken, but as good as the ride is from a layout perspective, you cannot operate a major ride whose predominant reputation is being excessively violent. It wasn't quite as bad as I was anticipating, personally, but then, hours wasting time on here meant I knew to avoid the 'wheel seats'. ;)

If they don't address what I see as the serious issues with Grand National then it will only be a matter of time before it goes the same way as the Wild Mouse, only it will be lefting standing as a monument because for some reason it is listed.

A complete re-track would be most welcome, along with new trains.

The Grand National isn't getting the RMC makeover which is being rumoured, Pleasure Beach's social media team were having a bit of banter with us which is no different to what Thorpe's social media team do with Thorpe's fans throughout the closed season.

I honestly don't think Pleasure Beach have the space for an RMC, especially if it's an RMC conversion and I'll be surprised if it's something they want to do.

For me BPB could do a lot worse than bring down the Rib Shake, stick a nice Mummy style dark coaster on its space, allowing space for a bigger set of toilets, and really theme the River Caves into a journey along the river Nile.

I'd also like to see a quality dark ride of some sort added above the Pizza Kitchen for Nick Land.

Utter nonsense is strong in this thread. The only thing that is ever going to happen to Nash is secret demolition.

Come on Diogo, it's the closed season and ridiculous rumours & nonsense are what the closed season is all about.

This time last year there was a crazy rumour going round that PB were going to demolish one of the most unique and historic coasters on the planet. I mean, as if !!!

Last edited:
Come on Diogo, it's the closed season and ridiculous rumours & nonsense are what the closed season is all about.

This time last year there was a crazy rumour going round that PB were going to demolish one of the most unique and historic coasters on the planet. I mean, as if !!!
Noooo not again :(

To be honest I would take a new RMC coaster over Grand National. What I think is more realistic is if RMC or Great Coasters were brought in to retrack it, possibly some new retro-style trains as well.

Or a modern wooden wild mouse? I know it won't happen, but Knoebels have shown that it is possible..

Tehcnically possible yes, but you couldn't build it in such a way that it conformed to modern standards without losing pretty much everything that made it great. Look at all the hoops Margate had to jump through when the Scenic was rebuilt - that now has trim brakes everywhere and high walled trains due to the lack of clearance to the structure.

Tehcnically possible yes, but you couldn't build it in such a way that it conformed to modern standards without losing pretty much everything that made it great. Look at all the hoops Margate had to jump through when the Scenic was rebuilt - that now has trim brakes everywhere and high walled trains due to the lack of clearance to the structure.

Out of interest, did much have to be done with Frontierland's RMT when it moved to Pleaslureland?

I know we are well on our way to that being two decades ago, but other than a few check brakes becoming automatically controlled I wasn't aware of much happening to bring that up to date.

Continuing on something on the last page about nutters who liked Mean Streak and who like Furius Baco and Tornado, well that would be me!! :p

The latter being far better in it's first few years with the Corkscrew of doom :tearsofjoy:

The only ride I've ever done that I thought was too rough to ride again was Son of Beast literally one week before it closed forever, now that was one nasty ride!!

Nash hasn't been great this year and in truth at the moment its far rougher than Wild Mouse ever was, but with some trackwork and hopefully some trains that don't smash the track to bits then it can be the world class woodie we all know it can be.

Out of interest, did much have to be done with Frontierland's RMT when it moved to Pleaslureland?

I know we are well on our way to that being two decades ago, but other than a few check brakes becoming automatically controlled I wasn't aware of much happening to bring that up to date.
Not sure but it would have predated the current European standard for ride design so even if it had been a new build at Southport it may have been subject to less stringent requirements. Margate at one time wanted to save it, and though very little ever came of that it should still be possible to push such a restoration through the current system.

Wait, it's a Europe thing? So after next April, we are free to build whatever the hell we want, right? :D

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.