• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Quite a rare shot on eBay at the moment;

s-l1600.jpg

Oh that sand pit of my toddler years.
Had a nurse, and a little creche and toilets down the stairs...dippys mystery corner by the streak entrance.
I used to be dumped there by the grown ups, while they rode the coasters.
Early life trauma I never really got over.
Walls on the pit were raised, and the area reduced, in the late sixties.
Good spot Rick.

Ah, the pre-1936 Big Dipper layout, gives a pretty narrow window for the photograph as Blue Flier didn't open until 1934.

The three turnarounds all meeting at one place was presumably necessary due to the limited space available (especially considering the layout of Dipper only changed when they obtained more land to expand into) but even so it looks pretty odd with them all squashed up against each other.

@John indeed! They all look a bit awkward bunched up like that, but like you said, it wasn't for long.

Train nerds, note the then double track that continued north to Blackpool Central and the station in the distance, Burlington Road Halt, which was open until 1949 before being replaced by the BPB station in 1987.

So is the position of the Big Dipper used to be where Nick Streak now stands?
No , the streak (Rollercoaster) is in he picture on the left. Same as today.

The pre 1936 dipper turnaround is in the distance in front of the streak turnaround.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No , the streak (Rollercoaster) is in he picture on the left. Same as today.

The pre 1936 dipper turnaround is in the distance in front of the streak turnaround.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Gotch ya! Was trying to work it out in the picture ha.

I miss Space Invader the ride, NOT the sweaty, claustrophobic queue line though. That said, there’s nothing like the smell of pizza as you go through the mountain now
It was an awesome ride at Blackpool, the interior theming and decor was good too (though the queue-line was uncomfortable - I think I remember them keeping people outside in the later years).

It still operates at Brean - it was great when it first opened there with lots of lighting/sound effects, projections and a storyline - though sadly last time I rode it most of these had stopped working.

Hey, I haven’t been to the park since Valhalla was new. I’m looking to go back soon and just wondered how things have changed since. Is it better? Is it worse? Let me know!
Nothing too in depth (unless you want to).

Hey, I haven’t been to the park since Valhalla was new. I’m looking to go back soon and just wondered how things have changed since. Is it better? Is it worse? Let me know!
Nothing too in depth (unless you want to).
Icon! People poop on it for the slow Mack launches but it's a great ride and arguably one of the best coasters in the UK. It may not be as good as helix but still great fun and very re-rideable.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.