• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It's a very good point. In the old days a visit to the pleasure beach was a whole family affair with parents and grandparents coming along. They wouldn't go on many rides but would likely buy something or visit the amusment arcade. Nowadays the non-riders will either stay at home or take in some of the other attractions that Blackpool has to offer (like Tussauds for example). Why pay £5 for the pleasure of watching the bags when (with mobile phones) you can just arrange to meet later on?

I think the issue with the entrance fee is that the location of the park is too far down the prom to allow those who don't go in to do something else. Of course there's south pier over the road, but what most would consider the main bit of Blackpool (up near the Tower etc) is still a rather long walk up the road. I doubt most want to be that far away from the rest of the group.

It seems a shame that there's been a fair bit of effort in recent years to improve the F+B offering, with the likes of pizza kitchen which could easily be utilised to keep non riders happy, and more importantly spending!

BPBBBPPBPPBBPBPBPBP have just posted about their 2014 pricing on Facebook and Twitter:

footer_2014.jpg

There are even more reasons to experience Blackpool Pleasure Beach next season!

The amusement park has introduced brand new pricing for 2014 which means lower prices for everyone.

Highlights inlude [include]:
  • Book 10-days or more in advance of your visit for even greater online savings
  • Great deals on family wristbands for families of three to eight
  • Low season wristbands from £15.99
  • Gate prices frozen at 2013 rates

It means you can enjoy all the thrills and excitement of the planet’s most ride intensive amusement park for less anytime in 2014.

Home to the steel mega-coaster that is the Big One, the UK’s only Nickelodeon Land and the world’s first Wallace & Gromit ride, Thrill-O-Matic, Blackpool Pleasure Beach is full of world firsts.

The attraction opens for the 2014 season on the weekend of February 8th and 9th and then every weekend until April 1st when Blackpool Pleasure Beach opens daily until November 2nd. The park opens again for its Final Fling weekend on November 8th and 9th. Wristbands are now on sale in advance from www.blackpoolpleasurebeach.com

Managing Director of Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Amanda Thompson OBE, said: “We want to give our guests excellent value for money and the new prices for the 2014 will ensure this continues to happen.

“Whichever price you chose you can be sure to get the best value for money when you visit Blackpool Pleasure Beach.”

“We cannot wait for the new season to start on February 8th and welcome everyone to Blackpool Pleasure Beach. We can promise they will leave with magical moments that will live with them forever!”

What is it with UK parks and checking their spelling!?

BigAl said:
BPBBBPPBPPBBPBPBPBP have just posted about their 2014 pricing on Facebook and Twitter:

the planet’s most ride intensive amusement park

I think spelling mistakes are fairly trivial mistakes in comparison to this claim :p

I certainly cannot grumble about those prices and I will certainly be grabbing a wristband or two this season. Well done Pleasure Beach !! ;D

Alastair said:
BigAl said:

I think spelling mistakes are fairly trivial mistakes in comparison to this claim :p

This is a fact not a tag line, BPB have a higher number of rides in such a small space than any other amusement park in the world. This has been mentioned time and time again and is nothing new, I'm surprised you've not heard it before actually.

Enter Valhalla said:
Alastair said:
BigAl said:

This is a fact not a tag line, BPB have a higher number of rides in such a small space than any other amusement park in the world. This has been mentioned time and time again and is nothing new, I'm surprised you've not heard it before actually.

How have they actually checked this though? Have they literally compared the square footage of every small park in the world and compared the number of attractions?

I would guess so, yes. Even if it is not accurate, which I'm pretty confident it is, BPB is an extremely ride intensive park and has more rides in such a small site than any other park I've ever been to. So why you're deciding to ridicule the park for this I do not know. It a fair claim to make in my opinon. What is it that you don't like about this claim?

Knowing Pleasure Beach, They probably measured it from the actual beach itself to make the park seem big.

Enter Valhalla said:
I would guess so, yes. Even if it is not accurate, which I'm pretty confident it is, BPB is an extremely ride intensive park and has more rides in such a small site than any other park I've ever been to. So why you're deciding to ridicule the park for this I do not know. It a fair claim to make in my opinon. What is it that you don't like about this claim?

Fairly sure Barry Island has more rides per square foot. BPB is over 40 acres, Barry is just over 4 and has over 30 rides.

There is no way that it has more rides per square metre than Joyland in Great Yarmouth either.

GKpsWwY.jpg

Nine rides in an area that can't be any bigger than 50 square metres.

We can use facts about the Theme Parks to calculate a 'score' - this score can be 'Rides per acre' which will be our comparison for ride density. The reason we should be using acres instead of m^2 is otherwise we'd end up with hideously unreadable numbers as our values.

Although not the best source, until a better one has been found, Wikipedia can be used to find out an attractions size, and the amount of rides available.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach - Area: 42 Acres, Rides: 38 -- which gives us 0.90 rides per acre.
Alton Towers - Area: 72 Acres [Thanks Ian!]Rides: 35 -- 0.49 rides per acre.
Thorpe Park -- Area: 32[Thanks Ian!] Acres, Rides: 28
Leogland Windsor -- Area: 150 Acres, Rides: 55

Presenting the information in a nice table:

Park Name
Area (Acres)
Ride count
Ride Density(Rides per acre)

BPB

Alton Towers

Thorpe Park

Legoland Windsor

Chessington

Paultons

Drayton Manor

Barry Island Pleasure Park
4 (Operational rides as far as I can tell)

Now, the above table only looks at UK Parks. Looking at BPB's claim to be "the planet’s most ride intensive amusement park" would allow us to look at any theme park in the world!

Park Name
Area (Acres)
Ride count
Ride Density(Rides per acre)

BPB

Adventure City, California

Cedar Point

If anyone would like to make additional contributions, let me know and I'll update the table - but as it stands, from my quick research, Adventure City, California is "the planet’s most ride intensive amusement park"

Last updated: 2108 - 14/01/14

Me and Diogo were calculating these the other night. Based on theme park area alone (That's removing the gardens, hotels, and lawns in front of the ruins) Alton is around 72 acres I think we established. EP was about 69, Thorpe around 32, Drayton something like 29. There's a really handy tool if you search for Google Maps Area Calculator :)

Either way though, whilst PBB is pretty dense I find it hard to believe it would be the world's most. Either way though, it's all marketing speil at the end of the day! I think some people are taking it a little seriously :p

Joyland at Great Yarmouth

0.53 acres

9 rides

= 16.99 rides per acre, by far the world's most ride intensive park so far. ;)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.