• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I was there that day too, with @shakey. I think he too was gutted that Grand National was shut! I generally have a good idea as soon as I step out my front door if Big One will be open or not due to high winds. Disappointing but nothing can be done about that. Same with Flying Machines really. No reason known for Nash closure.

I’m not sure what more BPB can do about distancing. They have markers on the ground in queue lines and signs clearly stating to not move forward until the group in front has done. Other than having lots of extra staff dotted around the queue line ready to bark at people, surely they can’t do much more.

Unfortunately things are relying on the common sense of the general public, which is probably why half the country is back under lockdown, because the GP are, by and large, stupid. The park is enforcing mask wearing on rides and in queues, and encouraging distancing but I’m not sure what more they can possibly do.

I’ve been half a dozen times since the park reopened and found the staff to be very good with it all. I have worn my mask where I knew I had to, sanitised my hands frequently, and kept my distance, as have others I’ve been with, if not everyone is doing all those things, that is hardly the park’s fault

I agree that it's largely the GPs responsibility, but there were always staff stood right next to you telling you to maintain distance, whilst being stood about 6inches away from you. They weren't asking group sizes and directing you to seats on rides accordingly, we regularly got sat next to a single rider we weren't with. I struggle to see how they manage with actual crowds, the queue lines are often really short - especially Icon. In Alton they were opening the FULL queues - with Nemesis we were heading left straight through the entrance and walking right up and around the top of the lift hill! I bet that queue line hasn't been used in the last 20yrs haha.

As yes, I get the high winds, just gutted that so many rides weren't available.

Also when did Infusion get so rough? Maybe it's not being able to hold on as well with having to use hands to keep on my mask though!

I agree that it's largely the GPs responsibility, but there were always staff stood right next to you telling you to maintain distance, whilst being stood about 6inches away from you. They weren't asking group sizes and directing you to seats on rides accordingly, we regularly got sat next to a single rider we weren't with. I struggle to see how they manage with actual crowds, the queue lines are often really short - especially Icon. In Alton they were opening the FULL queues - with Nemesis we were heading left straight through the entrance and walking right up and around the top of the lift hill! I bet that queue line hasn't been used in the last 20yrs haha.

As yes, I get the high winds, just gutted that so many rides weren't available.

Also when did Infusion get so rough? Maybe it's not being able to hold on as well with having to use hands to keep on my mask though!

The asking of group sizes has been a bit hit and miss at BPB, but I’ve certainly not been sat next to a random single rider once all season. This is the first I’ve heard of that occurring, apart from when I was sat next to strange grey haired old man on Dora who was farting all the way round @rob666

There were crowds in Summer, not same as usual summers but significantly more than last few off peak weeks. Icon queue snaked round towards Revolution and distancing was mostly adhered to.

As regards staff telling you from ‘6 inches away’ to maintain social distancing, I agree this is rather silly, but is also happening in other places too. In supermarkets I think because everyone has a mask on, some think this gives them licence to get in other people faces when really we’re still meant to give people space even with masks on. The other day I was in the Co-op looking in a fridge, when a female staff member reached right in front of my nose to place a sandwich on the shelf. No ‘excuse me’ before, no apology during or afterwards, it was like I wasn’t there. She could have easily waited until I’d moved clear of that space. Really annoying when you’re trying to do your bit and stuff like this happens.

Oh and hasn’t Infusion always been rough? Bulldoze it today, I couldn’t care less about that head bashing piece of scrap metal

No problems social distancing on the Beach today, absolutely dead...and they still managed to stay open until five.
Dead by four.
Actually felt a bit queasy, all those walk on rides and no queues for beer...
Another lovely visit dippy, shame about the part timers.

Last edited:
All you can do about the distancing in the queues at BPB is either 1) give the person behind you getting too close a dirty look - if they are a mega chav then they won't care and give you a look that says you will get a kicking later or 2) let them go in front of you and keep your distance from them. I've tried both and I would say that 2 for many BPB guests who can't stay away is the best. Men with a kid generally you can ask them and they will move back, chav like women - tell them to go infront of you, teenagers - give the fuck up and just walk behind them yourself.

In my weekly visits to the Beach I have had few problems, had to politely ask for a back up a couple of times, met with an "oops sorry" sort of response.
I avoid busy days, but haven't had an issue with teenagers...
It was the oldies who were breaking the rules on the Dipper yesterday, platform op came down and told the whole queue to back up to maintain distance...even when it was quiet...ten out of ten.
They had Howling Wolf on his plasterers stilts and rusty trike out as well.

Just got back from a pleasant 2 day jaunt to pleasure beach (with the usual suspects)

Got it done in the nick of time before all the extra restrictions come in.

Good company and conversation as always.

Monday was very much a CBA day for park operations with quite a few rides closed and the big one going down for a slight breeze 235ft up!

Better operations today - coinciding with a few more punters on the park - although the shiny new(ish) coaster did break in the afternoon.

Stayed in the Henson Hotel opposite big blue. £25 for a single ensuite room plus free on site parking. Not somewhere you would probably take the Mrs, but for a one night doss after a few drinks in spoons, it was good value for money.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

Something that I hadn't noticed until @Rick pointed it out to me yesterday, the entry fee appears to have gone up by quite a jump recently. I am fairly sure (although not certain) you could book online 7 days or more in advance earlier in the season for around £25 (on a peak day) - it was certainly that price in 2019.

This is the latest online advance booking price for an adult....

Late night riding Saturday £37 (£38 next season)
Normal Saturday £35
Any other day £32 - this includes all other peak and off peak days (apart from wow weekends)
WOW Weekends 2021 - Saturday £21 - (It was £15 this season)
WOW Weekends 2021 - Sunday £19.50

The winter weekends this year (assuming they still go ahead) are also priced at £35 and £32

There doesn't appear to be any further discounts for families, so it looks like a family of 4 (with 2 children under 11) - is going to cost a minimum of £130 for a standard Saturday - and £140 if the kids are 11+ . Add in food/drink and parking then it's likely to be a £200+ day out - ouch !

What do people think of those prices ? - For my 2 peneth it is slightly worrying that they have hiked their prices up so much and it is likely to put people off. The winter weekend and off peak price seems extortionate for 11 till 5 opening and the probability that some rides will not be operating.

Are they in danger of ending up with a park made up of mainly season pass holders ?

Last edited:
Those prices are comparable with Alton Towers so I assume Blackpool think they are at a similar standard. Which they almost are now that AT doesn't really bother with shows most of the year.
Drayton Manor are slightly cheaper at £28.
A lot of it depends on the hours and additional entertainment being offered at the time as well. Its hard to saw what the right value is for a day out, as sometimes a quieter day with moderate hours can be better than a busy one with long hours.

Although the parks have had busy periods this year, its got to be hard for them and the culture of discounting over the last 20 years hasn't helped determine what the right price is.

Lots of parks seem to have bumped up prices this year, I guess the need to make up for lost revenue and the increase in demand due to people not going abroad has driven it.

Towers prebook is up from £34 to £38 for Scarefest and Thorpe is at £42.

I'm not massively surprised - BPB was starting to look strangely underpriced compared with the competition. I visited Oakwood recently and it was £30 online, no way BPB should be cheaper.

Merlin prices are misleading though, you can still pick up 2-for-1 vouchers (which I am assuming are still valid), so as long as you have an even number of people towers can cost as little as £26.50 to get in (at their current £53 gate price), or pay £53 for a season pass, or pay for a 2 day pass which can work out at £22 per day, depending on when you visit.

This is all considerably cheaper than the current pleasure beach pricing.

Stayed in the Henson Hotel opposite big blue. £25 for a single ensuite room plus free on site parking. Not somewhere you would probably take the Mrs, but for a one night doss after a few drinks in spoons, it was good value for money.
Many of the reviews on TripAdvisor for such budget £25 quid a night (with breakfast and parking) Blackpool hotels makes entertaining reading. I don’t know what some people expect to get at such a low price.

I stayed in the Henson last year and it seemed fine. In the end of the day you're only going to be in the room for any length of time in the evening. When I last visited I stayed in the New Esplanade which was really nice.

Something that I hadn't noticed until @Rick pointed it out to me yesterday, the entry fee appears to have gone up by quite a jump recently. I am fairly sure (although not certain) you could book online 7 days or more in advance earlier in the season for around £25 (on a peak day) - it was certainly that price in 2019.

This is the latest online advance booking price for an adult....

Late night riding Saturday £37 (£38 next season)
Normal Saturday £35
Any other day £32 - this includes all other peak and off peak days (apart from wow weekends)
WOW Weekends 2021 - Saturday £21 - (It was £15 this season)
WOW Weekends 2021 - Sunday £19.50

The winter weekends this year (assuming they still go ahead) are also priced at £35 and £32

There doesn't appear to be any further discounts for families, so it looks like a family of 4 (with 2 children under 11) - is going to cost a minimum of £130 for a standard Saturday - and £140 if the kids are 11+ . Add in food/drink and parking then it's likely to be a £200+ day out - ouch !

What do people think of those prices ? - For my 2 peneth it is slightly worrying that they have hiked their prices up so much and it is likely to put people off. The winter weekend and off peak price seems extortionate for 11 till 5 opening and the probability that some rides will not be operating.

Are they in danger of ending up with a park made up of mainly season pass holders ?
They shouldnt be putting up prices, no Hot Ice will have saved them a fortune!
Amazed you didnt mention the £18 parking rip off as well shakey!
Bring back pay per ride.

Scottish people told not to travel. Scousers in lockdown and calls for us in Greater Manchester to follow suit. Pleasure beach may as well just close now for the season. Scotland, the Liverpool and Manchester areas are their 3 biggest markets by far I'd imagine.

BBC are now reporting that Greater Manchester will be going into tier 3 imminently. With Lancashire potentially to follow.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.