• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
On the topic of retracking, it would appear that more of the Big One’s track is being replaced this off-season:

This time, the ride’s ending including the tunnel section is seemingly being done.

I would expect the majority of it to be original, although I don't actually know that. I would expect anything from after the final break run to the top of the lift hill (and likely much more) to be subjected to stresses sufficient to warrant replacement even after all this time.

I know we've had some confirmation of actual replacement sections, but I do think that some sections are simply removed for grit blasting and repainting on rollercoasters generally, rather than replacements. Rather they just look brand new after this process.

Something tells me the people that write these things don't work in marketing ...

"The main track sits atop two parallel vertical grids of timber, whose varying height causes the track to rise and fall. The two grids are connected and braced by horizontal timbers at the same intervals, and diagonal timbers running from each corner to its opposite on the other side. Additional bracing is found on the face of each grid, running diagonally but not always between corners. Raking shores also support the grids at high level. The rails comprise layered timber boards, the top layers being wider than the others to retain the under-friction wheels. Along the top of the boards is fixed a shallow metal strip on which the running wheels rest. Similar strips run along the inner face for the side friction wheels, and along the soffit of the top boards in areas where negative-G is achieved and the under-friction wheels are employed."

Goodness, well that’s news to me. I was under the impression that the historical markers which we used to see on the rides weren’t actual listed status.
They were unrelated, they pre-date the listings.

Far as I can remember the park didn’t want the rides listed. Now they have no choice but to maintain many attractions even the ones that are SBNO, so they have to maintain Noah’s Ark even tho they can’t use the attraction. I’m pretty sure and I’m happy to be corrected that the original plan was to demolish or move the Noah’s ark and create a new entrance building but then the ark got listed so plans couldn’t go ahead.

I think the sections of track on the Big One that really need retracking are also the first drop and the drop that passes next to Infusion. Also RMC Grand National or any Blackpool woodie won't happen, they best they can do it retrack it and add more grease to the rails so it's smoother ( all the grease got washed off by Dennis this year so that was a success)! Ure more likely to see Alderman Bean return from the dead than u r an rmc conversion at Blackpool!

They can use the Ark...they failed to maintain it properly, so it became unsafe due to rot...it could still be repaired and put back in use, they chose not to.

It was closed in 2008 during the cost cutting measures, 10 attractions including rides and shows were closed at the end of that season. Speak to anyone who worked at BPB at that time and they'll tell you how much the park was concerned about never being able to open again thanks to the recession hitting hard. The Ark was 'weathered' but not, not maintained. It was one of the attractions to close due to low footfall, at the end of 2009 it was confirmed it wouldn't be returning when the guest entrance to it was removed.

I think the sections of track on the Big One that really need retracking are also the first drop and the drop that passes next to Infusion. Also RMC Grand National or any Blackpool woodie won't happen, they best they can do it retrack it and add more grease to the rails so it's smoother ( all the grease got washed off by Dennis this year so that was a success)! Ure more likely to see Alderman Bean return from the dead than u r an rmc conversion at Blackpool!

The sections most needed to be done are the sections Pleasure Beach are doing, the four sections taken out last year were identified as the most critical part to change, and now the current sections being replaced were the 2nd on that list. This isn't about making it 'smooth' for us, this is more about essential maintenance and prolonging the ride's lifespan. If they can improve the transitions as they do these sections, they will do, the new sections added this year were slightly reprofiled and I am guessing they'll want to make it a better transition into the brake run from the photo section by doing likewise.

The track profiling on PMBO is pretty basic - on the original drawings the ride plan and elevation are made up of a number of straight sections linked by curves of fixed radius - there's no gradual changes in curve size that you see on more modern hypercoasters. This used to be a common way of designing rides but has been superseded by the use of smooth curves on most modern rides.

Aerial photos of Megafobia show the "straights and curves" design very clearly - it goes directly from straight track into a fixed-size curve then back to straight at the other end. Unlike Megafobia, most curves on PBMO are made up of multiple sections - it'll start off straight, go into a very shallow curve, then change a couple more times - getting tighter all the time - before reversing the process at the exit of the curve. In theory they could smooth things out a little when fabricating new track, but they probably don't have a lot of space to work with on that section.

It was closed in 2008 during the cost cutting measures, 10 attractions including rides and shows were closed at the end of that season. Speak to anyone who worked at BPB at that time and they'll tell you how much the park was concerned about never being able to open again thanks to the recession hitting hard. The Ark was 'weathered' but not, not maintained. It was one of the attractions to close due to low footfall, at the end of 2009 it was confirmed it wouldn't be returning when the guest entrance to it was removed.

The sections most needed to be done are the sections Pleasure Beach are doing, the four sections taken out last year were identified as the most critical part to change, and now the current sections being replaced were the 2nd on that list. This isn't about making it 'smooth' for us, this is more about essential maintenance and prolonging the ride's lifespan. If they can improve the transitions as they do these sections, they will do, the new sections added this year were slightly reprofiled and I am guessing they'll want to make it a better transition into the brake run from the photo section by doing likewise.
@ScottPBE that does make sense and it also makes me wonder how many phases BPB are planning to do on The Big One until they're satisfied to invest in something else!

@ScottPBE that does make sense and it also makes me wonder how many phases BPB are planning to do on The Big One until they're satisfied to invest in something else!
Pg-17-Forth-Bridge-getty.jpeg

I have never met Brian before, so i show my respect as a general enthusiast. As 2020 has brought the world crumbling around everyone, there is nothing more inspiring than a person who has a huge passion for what they do, but also wants to share that passion with other people. The world can't be losing people like Brian, we need more of them. Heroes don't always wear capes.

RIP Brian.

Great post. I believe he enjoyed the rides for as long as he was physically able to, so fair play to him. Around 2017 I asked him which other rides he went on, as other than The Big One, I only ever recall seeing him on Steeplechase. I can't remember all of what he said, but he did say that he only rode Wild Mouse once year because of his back. I think back row of The Big One would be worse though!

Here is a photo I took of Brian on his way to do what he enjoyed so much. It will be sad not seeing him walking round in his coaster bomber jacket. I'd like to think that when someone close to him goes through his stuff and finds his notebook, that one day we will find out his final Big One tally. Godspeed, old boy.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has already been posted?

A couple of interesting bits for those that couldn't be arsed to watch it all....

She briefly mentioned the Bigger One (sort of) - said that Geoffrey and Nick both wanted to build a coaster out to sea but she won't be doing that.

And if she could get any ride back then would like a modern version of the reel.

Also spoke about making Valhalla greener - Is that a reference to removing most of the fire, heat and cold effects I wonder ?

Booked a stay at Pleasure Beach for the last weekend in March next year (hopefully if all is good with covid) for the first time. If anyone has any tips on where to start to dodge excessive queues it'd be appreciated, we're only there for a day so want to try to get on everything!

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.