• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The instructional video is wrong in all honesty there, since the way to stop spinning is to move the wings in the opposite direction of your spin...

The spins were pretty obscene enough when I went on it a few weeks back, in higher winds I dread to think what it'd end up being...

I thought the whole point of these rides was to try and get a good spin going? Comlaining about a spin ride spinning too much is like comlaining beer got you drunk. That's what it's supposed to do.

I thought the whole point of these rides was to try and get a good spin going? Comlaining about a spin ride spinning too much is like comlaining beer got you drunk. That's what it's supposed to do.

It's more like drinking beer under the pretence that it's normal beer, however it actually has the alcohol content of absinthe. ;)

These rides are designed to suit those who want to spin and those who don't.

If it's too windy that it is causing ill health then it should be temporarily closed until the weather improves.

But what spins too much for one person is a great ride for another. Why close and deny a good spin to those who want it?
Maybe they should install some kind of "traffic light" colour code system to warn people that the wind will make the ride more intense.

But what spins too much for one person is a great ride for another. Why close and deny a good spin to those who want it?
Maybe they should install some kind of "traffic light" colour code system to warn people that the wind will make the ride more intense.
If the ride is causing ill health or unable to be ridden as advertised then it is an issue.

Unless you're getting some sick pleasure from the idea.

I would get your eyes check by an optician. As burst vessels, can cause future problem. I would contact the amanda directly, listing injuries caused and the lack of customer service. And send the letter recorded delivery.

If the ride is causing ill health or unable to be ridden as advertised then it is an issue.
Some people feel ill after riding the Flying Machines. Almost everyone who rides Infusion / Nash / Mouse / PMBO gets bruised.

The Smiler gives me a headache. It should be closed and no one else should be allowed to ride it.

Some people feel ill after riding the Flying Machines. Almost everyone who rides Infusion / Nash / Mouse / PMBO gets bruised.

The Smiler gives me a headache. It should be closed and no one else should be allowed to ride it.

The whole point of the ride is that you're supposed to be able to control the amount of spinning to a satisfactory level per rider. The instructions are clearly incorrect on the introductory video. The poster states that she's a thrill seeker, but she wasn't anticipating two thirds of the ride to be quite so intense. I've no reason to believe that she didn't bleed out the eyeballs after that amount of applied force on her body. Either way, it sounds like she was fobbed off by PBB management, which adds insult to literal injury.

I love getting a bit of a battering on rides like but I'd draw the line somewhere before "actual blood coming from my eyes".

People have had heart attacks and died on several rides. No one blames the ride itself as it's always been the result of a previously unknown medical condition. If no one else on the ride had these injuries, it's a pretty safe bet that is also the case here.

The only time I've heard of a healthy person bleeding from the eyes after exposure to G force is in the 1947 experiments when a test pilot rode a rocket sled and experienced decceleration of 42.6G.

Just to clarify my eyes weren't horrifically bleeding! I had clusters of red dots and burst vessels on the whites of my eyes, I don't want to alarm people more than necessary. Everyone is entitled to their thoughts and I'm sure there are people who would have loved to spin at that speed for that length of time however I have never even thought the sensations and effects that I felt were possible from a ride. Particularly a ride that, as mentioned, is supposed to provide the rider with control over intensity.

@DiogoJ42 - http://www.avstop.com/ac/ac91-61.html

SYMPTOMS OF Gz EFFECTS
a. Positive Gz Effects. The +Gz induced effects may be described as follows:
(1) Grayout. There is graying of vision caused by diminished flow of blood to the eyes. Although there is no associated physical impairment, this condition should serve as a warning of a significant impairment of blood flow to the head.

(2) Blackout. Vision is completely lost. This condition results when the oxygen supply to the light sensitive retinal cells is severely reduced. Contrary to other common usages of the term, consciousness is maintained. In blackout, some mental activity and muscle function remains, thus the occurrence of blackout warns of seriously reduced blood flow to the head and of a high risk of loss of consciousness. Note: In some centrifuge studies, 50 percent of the pilots had simultaneous blackout and loss of consciousness. Therefore, a pilot cannot rely on blackout to precede loss of consciousness.

(3) Loss of Consciousness. When the blood flow through the brain is reduced to a certain level, the pilot will lose consciousness. He or she may have jerking, convulsive movements; these have been seen in many subjects of centrifuge studies and in some pilots during actual flight. The pilot will slump in his or her seat. Possibly, the pilot will fall against the controls, causing the aircraft to enter flight configurations from which it cannot recover even if consciousness is regained. In centrifuge studies, many pilots lost (and regained) consciousness without realizing they had done so.

(4) How long does induced unconsciousness last? In a series of studies of pilots in centrifuges, the pilots were unconscious for an average of 15 seconds. Following this, there was an additional 5 to 15 second interval of disorientation. Thus, if there is loss of consciousness due to +Gz forces, there will be a 20 to 30 second (or longer) period during which the pilot is not in control of his or her aircraft.

b. Negative Gz Effects. Negative Gz is encountered when acceleration is in a foot to head direction, such as might be obtained during inverted flight, or during an outside loop or pushover maneuver (seeFigure 2). Blood is then pushed toward the head, and the amount of blood returning from the head is diminished, so the blood tends to stagnate, particularly in the head. Under mild conditions of -Gz forces, the pilot will feel congestion, as when standing on his or her head. Engorgement of blood vessels causes a reddening or flushing of the facial skin. Blood vessels in the eyes will become dilated. Some persons may experience a headache. A condition termed "redout" may occur. This may be due in part to congestion but may also occur when the lower eyelid, reacting to -Gz, rises to cover the pupil, so that one sees light through the eyelid.

(1) Little is known about the effects of high -Gz on humans because -Gz accelerations have caused considerable discomfort in those studied. Aerobatic pilots have reported small hemorrhages in the eyes and skin. Harold Krier, an accomplished aerobatic pilot, wrote that if he got a pain in the top of his head while pulling -G's, he eased off on the controls to reduce the G loading.

(2) The blood vessels in the brain tolerate mild -Gz stresses well, but the increased blood pressure in the chest and neck causes a slowing of the heart in virtually all subjects. In a few individuals, there is such a marked slowing of the heart that there are intervals of several seconds between beats. In some people, the heart may beat irregularly after -Gz exposure. The slowing of the heart and irregularities of beats can add to the stagnation of blood in the brain. Thus, it appears that the greatest threat from -Gz is the loss of consciousness from the slowing of the heart, irregularities of the heartbeats, and stagnation of blood in the head.

and...

c. Tolerance of -Gz (foot to head) has not been studied intensively. About -1 Gz produces an unpleasant congestion of blood in the face and head; -2 to -3 Gz causes severe congestion of the face, throbbing headache, progressively blurring, graying, or occasionally reddening of vision. After exposure to -Gz, there may be tiny hemorrhages in the skin and eyes and the eyelids may be swollen. Minus 5 Gz for 5 seconds is probably the upper limit of tolerance; this level has seldom been achieved by volunteer subjects. Unlike military flying in which -Gz does not present much of a problem, aerobatic flying may demand that a pilot spend over half of his or her air time in inverted flight, pulling -Gz.

Imagine reading a comment like "I lost sensation in my feet, lost my vision, felt like my eyes were being pushed forward from the pressure, incurred bloodshot eyes and burst blood vessels" and instead of feeling empathy for the person involved, deciding instead to post a glib 'witticism' about how great that sounds.

Oh come on, if this was a ride at Towers people would be defending it and calling this claim out for what it is: outright codswallop.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.