• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Health and safety gone mad again at a guess. Maybe we will see a new bridge at some point.

Nah!

This is what H&S look like back in the 1960's :eek:

fGj3ByX.jpg

00XEeCZ.jpg

To be fair they bridge is really steep, even just walking across it, I guess they’ve decided it’s too steep, or maybe they’ve had too many accidents on it.

It does block the park off a bit now though, as you have to walk all the way round the back of the big one to get to anything that side.

???? :confused:

Painting the Big One is a bit like painting the Forth Bridge, they never stop painting it, they paint a section every morning before the park opens to the public and it takes a year to paint the whole thing, and when they finish painting it, they just start all over again. They need to keep on painting the Big One because of the sea salt in the air, otherwise the ride will simply rust.

Mind you put it this way, with Blackpool's notorious high wind present mostly 98% of the time it'll dry really quickly.

I never understood why it was made out of the most slippy material possible :p. I've fallen down so many times on that bridge over the years, it's a bit of a running joke now. Sad to see it go, was fun in the rain :(

The bridge was barely used until the last few years but due to the changes around the park it had became a major route so as its use has increased I'd imagine more incidents have occurred. It definitely seemed rather slippery back in October/November. Hopefully they can just flatten the bridge so the incline isn't as steep.

Yeah it was lethal when it rained, my issue is that they've just closed it off rather than replacing it.

Since the Tom Sawyer went it's become quite crucial to navigating the park, IMO.

How I miss being able to get from the Dipper to PMBO in 30 seconds... Such a pain now having to walk through Avalanche's overcrowded area.

I Hope they resurface it with an anti slip compound. As it will cut down on incidents and is cost affective then re profiling the bridge

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

This bridge needs replacing ASAP. BPB is enough of a problem when it comes to moving around these days. I am still not a fan of having to walk into Nick Land to access the Streak, then with the removal of the TS bridge and now this!

I miss the days of leaving the Dipper and being on the Coaster literally about 30 seconds later!

I may not be a BPB regular, but as I recall, that bridge was lethal even when bone dry in the middle of summer.

... Or was that just the 35 liters of boozamahol I had consumed?

It sounds like I’m in the minority here, but I thought the tread on the bridge offered adequate slip resistance. It’s just nowadays anything more than a mild incline appears to have to be designated as a slip hazard by default.

How things have changed in 12 months as regards BPB discussion. From ICON, to the slip resistance of a path...

Could this be BPB’s Air Tunnel??

It sounds like I’m in the minority here, but I thought the tread on the bridge offered adequate slip resistance. It’s just nowadays anything more than a mild incline appears to have to be designated as a slip hazard by default.

How things have changed in 12 months as regards BPB discussion. From ICON, to the slip resistance of a path...

Could this be BPB’s Air Tunnel??

I wish I hadn’t asked now! Personally I’ve never gone A over T on it, but I can’t imagine pushing a pram over it

I’m not a massive fan of pin badges in general, but it was good to see some new retro design ones amongst the new merch last weekend. Old park logos, Monster, Noah’s Ark, etc. I would love to see a Log Flume one, with the orange & white station lettering on them. Or even better; fridge magnets of all these

I’m not a massive fan of pin badges in general, but it was good to see some new retro design ones amongst the new merch last weekend. Old park logos, Monster, Noah’s Ark, etc. I would love to see a Log Flume one, with the orange & white station lettering on them. Or even better; fridge magnets of all these
I'd taken some photos of these the other weekend, I'll upload them when I have a min.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.