• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Had a great visit on Sunday, just a few things I noticed.
-Nash was running four trains, I haven't seen it use all four in a very long time. Hardly any queue!
-River caves was looking great with lots of mist, the guy from boat in the Valley of the Kings has returned.
-I had an evacuation on Valhalla, bottom of the first lift hill (which was a shame, as I wanted to see into a the main show building). We were on bottom of the lift hill for quite some time toasting next to the fire. The lift hill would restart but the boat didn't latch onto it properly. We then had to climb back down the boat, one girl fell into the water trough! She was fine though.

Do you mean Sunday ?

The PMBO queue on Saturday must have been well over an hour despite it being on 2 trains.

And Steeple only ran 2 lanes all weekend. I can only assume there was a problem with the 3rd lane.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I’m not sure Steeplechase has been on three lanes at any point this year. Maybe the second Saturday, but I haven’t seen it running any more than two before or since.

I’m not sure Steeplechase has been on three lanes at any point this year. Maybe the second Saturday, but I haven’t seen it running any more than two before or since.

Is there an issue with the third lane, or is it just saving money closing it most of the time? I suspect the latter

There’s nothing obviously broken on it and they do have a tendency to run it with two lanes as a default, so on the balance of probabilities I’m going to say money-related.

Do you mean Sunday ?

The PMBO queue on Saturday must have been well over an hour despite it being on 2 trains.

And Steeple only ran 2 lanes all weekend. I can only assume there was a problem with the 3rd lane.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Can confirm I waited 70 mins for Big One on Saturday from just outside the entrance. Would have been slightly less but we didn't move for a good 15 mins despite trains still being sent out regularly - big batch of speedy passes I guess.

Waited five minutes with shakey on Sunday for the Big One, but that was early on.
Steeplechase has been on three a couple of times this year...I think two lanes has been more of a staffing/training issue more than anything mechanical.
It did have a lot of problems on the opening weekend, but then again, so did all the other rides!

Can confirm I waited 70 mins for Big One on Saturday from just outside the entrance. Would have been slightly less but we didn't move for a good 15 mins despite trains still being sent out regularly - big batch of speedy passes I guess.
I remember the full queueline (overflowing and all extensions open) taking 40 minutes on a 2 train service without Speedy Pass.

It really is a travesty that they still allow the operations of their signature coaster to be jeapordised by a fast pass system.

Had a great visit on Sunday, just a few things I noticed.
-Nash was running four trains, I haven't seen it use all four in a very long time. Hardly any queue!
-River caves was looking great with lots of mist, the guy from boat in the Valley of the Kings has returned.
-I had an evacuation on Valhalla, bottom of the first lift hill (which was a shame, as I wanted to see into a the main show building). We were on bottom of the lift hill for quite some time toasting next to the fire. The lift hill would restart but the boat didn't latch onto it properly. We then had to climb back down the boat, one girl fell into the water trough! She was fine though.

So, regarding the girl who fell in the water, she was probably drier than if she'd stayed on and they'd got the boat running again!

Hey, so I went to Blackpool Pleasure Beach for the first time yesterday and I don’t have a full trip report but I just wanted to share a few random thoughts! :)

• The park is actually a lot more pleasant to walk around than I had anticipated. Obviously there’s areas that look like they’re in need of a little TLC, but on the whole it looks clean and well cared for. And the park has a good atmosphere and operations seemed generally efficient, especially on Icon.

• Big One is a lot smaller in real life than it is in pictures. This kinda took me by surprise, but it really isn’t that big! As far as ride experience is concerned, the first drop is amazing, but the rest is a little bit uninteresting. It is a good ride though, and worth is just for the views from the top.

• Grand National isn’t all that rough. Yeah, that really did surprise me. It’s a genuinely fun ride! Okay, it’s a bit clunky, but that literally is part of the fun and I feel if you were to remove that aspect then the ride wouldn’t be half as fun as it. Preferred the right hand side over the left personally.

• Infusion really is as bad as everyone says it is. I was seriously taken aback by how painful it actually is. I was expecting it to be bad, and as the train descended the first drop it was actually kinda okay. And then the head banging kicked in. Definitely not an experience I will be wanting to repeat in a hurry!

• Icon. What can I say, and where do I begin? Well, after hearing so many conflicting opinions about the ride, I didn’t really have any expectations going in. And yet, I still ended up being somewhat underwhelmed by it. There are a good few moments for sure, but it’s slow, the way it meanders ‘round the track between each one. I wanted to say that it’s elegant, but in reality it just feels a bit weak. Maybe it’s an acquired taste? I made sure to get another ride on it at the and of the day – and even managed to get back row too – and it didn’t feel that much different sadly. I hope it grows on me, I really wanted to like it more than I did.

• The queues were pretty much non existent. Not sure wether that was just because we were visiting on a weekday though. I think the longest we waited for anything was around 20 mins for Infusion. Icon was probably around 15 mins. Big One, Big Dipper, Avalanche and Grand National all around 10 mins. Revolution was pretty much walk on.

Overall Blackpool Pleasure Beach far exceeded any expectations I had of the place beforehand, would definitely visit again. So many things to experience and we only really managed a few because we arrived so late in the day. I’ll finish with our ride count for the day:

2x Grand National
2x Icon
1x Big Dipper
1x Avalanche
1x Revolution
1x Infusion
1x Big One
1x Flying Machines

I’ve probably forgotten something, so I might have to add it in later :p

@Robert.W did you do any of the dark rides? How about Valhalla?
Sadly not, we were quite pushed for time having arrived quite a bit later than planned, so it was more of a case of doing the bigger rides and anything else if we had time to. It’s just another excuse to go back though so I can’t complain! :D I didn’t do Valhalla, but more because I didn’t really want to get soaking wet, haha!

I notice that you didn't do Steeple chase either. Blackpool have some great old and unique rides, all worth doing and as for the Valhalla, I never ride without my waterproofs (Cheap jacket and over trousers off ebay) along with my waterproof hiking boots. Best time of the year to visit is September when kids are back at school and you have the night illuminations, we normally go for a few days, not just for the Pleasure Beach, but you also have the Tower, Wax works and Sealife all which our MAP allow's entry to, plus there is so much more other things to do too.

Valhalla is much better with waterproof cover trousers and walking boots (army surplus Goretex). Wallace & Gromit is the best dark ride in the UK IMO too. Avalance is the best Bobsled i've done. There's loads of great attractions at Blackpool it's easily a weekend park for me.
Icon has really grown on me. You've really got to see it as an all round coaster rather than a high speed launch. The pace is great with a nice punch from the second launch, some good ejector moments like the top of the first hill, the trasitions are fast and throw you about side to side. It eats queues making it easy to re-ride on a regular day. The over the shoulder restraints are the best on any ride bar none, feels so open like a lap bar. It's just such a fun ride being smooth enough to hold your arms up the whole way around.

Unpopular opinion but I think icon is the best rolercoaster in the UK- it's not about the launch its about all the elements on it and it's not too high top speed really gives you time to appreciate them, particularly the hang time on its roll. The smoothness of the rides and signitue Mac high throughput lending itself to quick multipe rerides add to that further.
Also interactions with the other rides are also great.

Nemmy (in the rain) and swarm after that for me

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.