• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
From a game play perspective, what's the balance of skill vs luck like?

As with all board games that use a dice (and other random factors), there is always going to be a huge slice of luck but there are a fair amount of tactics you can use during the game to increase your chance of winning. If you make bad decisions then you probably aren't going to win, but then again if the dice and cards don't go your way you definitely won't win. It's probably 75% luck and 25% tactics.

No 2 games have been the same so far and some have been very close (that's when making the right decisions is vital), but other games have been a bit one sided so I am working on a few changes to try and limit the one sided games.

Part of me wishes I had put the wild mouse in but I shall leave that for the fantasy version - including the virginia reel - just for @rob666 ;)

Last edited:
I went to the Pleasure Beach on Friday and whilst the weather was lovely Valhalla, Grand National, Flying Machines and the Big One were all closed. I knew Valhalla would be closed but gutted about the rest. Was especially annoying as I was with friends that had never been before. Very small queues but the staff didn't really seem to care about social distancing etc - massive gap between their approach and Alton Towers (went the previous day) who were really good with it.

Although Icon was a lot of fun! Hadn't been on it before and thoroughly loved it! :D

I went to the Pleasure Beach on Friday and whilst the weather was lovely Valhalla, Grand National, Flying Machines and the Big One were all closed. I knew Valhalla would be closed but gutted about the rest. Was especially annoying as I was with friends that had never been before. Very small queues but the staff didn't really seem to care about social distancing etc - massive gap between their approach and Alton Towers (went the previous day) who were really good with it.

Although Icon was a lot of fun! Hadn't been on it before and thoroughly loved it! :D

I was there that day too, with @shakey. I think he too was gutted that Grand National was shut! I generally have a good idea as soon as I step out my front door if Big One will be open or not due to high winds. Disappointing but nothing can be done about that. Same with Flying Machines really. No reason known for Nash closure.

I’m not sure what more BPB can do about distancing. They have markers on the ground in queue lines and signs clearly stating to not move forward until the group in front has done. Other than having lots of extra staff dotted around the queue line ready to bark at people, surely they can’t do much more.

Unfortunately things are relying on the common sense of the general public, which is probably why half the country is back under lockdown, because the GP are, by and large, stupid. The park is enforcing mask wearing on rides and in queues, and encouraging distancing but I’m not sure what more they can possibly do.

I’ve been half a dozen times since the park reopened and found the staff to be very good with it all. I have worn my mask where I knew I had to, sanitised my hands frequently, and kept my distance, as have others I’ve been with, if not everyone is doing all those things, that is hardly the park’s fault

I wanna visit the park next year, going by train all the way from Kent so it's a bit of a trek. When do people think will be the best time to go? I've never been so just looking for the recommendations of others.

The quickest route will involve the Avanti London to Blackpool service. This has started back but not at full frequency.
I would aim to arrive by evening and stay one night in a B&B (two if the park is open late). The Avanti train takes 3.5-4 hours but the timetable is being changed quite frequently currently so you will need to check for your date.

@The Cardinal . I don't want to poo poo @Mr Pearse suggestion, but the problem with an off peak midweek visit is that you are probably going to get "Can't Be Arsed" operations. For example - Grand National was shut all day last Friday for probably no good reason at all, and the week before Streak was shut for several days. They will also have little enthusiasm in trying to keep the Big One open if there is any more than a slight breeze.

I am not saying that you won't be able to get loads of rides done on an off peak day, because you will, but there's a good chance that a couple of major rides will be down for most or all of the day, which is ok if you are a regular visitor but very disappointing if it's your first ever visit and you may not be back again for a while.

I would suggest going on a peak day, getting in early and buying a speedypass if the queues get too long. That way all rides are likely to be open and running on capacity. They will also try to keep the Big One open in all but the strongest of winds. If you are planning on a visit next year then I would keep an eye on any Valhalla updates because you may as well wait until it is operating again - assuming they open it next year as planned.

If your budget will stretch to it then the Big Blue and Boulevard hotels are very good, especially if you get a park view and it will be a doddle getting into the park via the hotel entrance.

The park is always quieter in the first hour or so, and also in the last hour or so (like most parks)

Last edited:
Cheers everyone, that helps a lot, I had no idea about all this:tearsofjoy:I did look at the queue times recently and saw a lot of rides were shut so I'll probably go on peak to avoid hardly any availability.

I would wholeheartedly advise not booking in to just any B&B*, for a little more you get a product which is massively better and will give you a better experience of Blackpool.

I'm currently enjoying a stay at The Big Blue, which cost £150 for 2 nights with 2 days breakfast and dinner on the first night.

I'm also happy to recommend the Hampton by Hilton and The Imperial (although make sure you factor in your tram ticket up there). If budget is super tight then there is a Travelodge right outside the main entrance to Pleasure Beach and I'm sure that's perfectly nice.

Do not be tempted by the value seemingly on offer from the likes of Metropole, Grand or Norbreck - these are Britannia Hotels properties and should be avoided at all costs.

*There probably are some nice B&Bs, but I can't account for any of them.

I've stayed at some nice B&Bs but sometimes you don't know. Some Blackpool places are pretty rough.

The Hilton looked nice but it does seem out of the way. The Big Blue, Hampton and Boulevard seem safe options.

Hopefully, the Ibis will reopen soon as that sounds be reliable and decent value place to stay.

I would wholeheartedly advise not booking in to just any B&B*, for a little more you get a product which is massively better and will give you a better experience of Blackpool.

I'm currently enjoying a stay at The Big Blue, which cost £150 for 2 nights with 2 days breakfast and dinner on the first night.

I'm also happy to recommend the Hampton by Hilton and The Imperial (although make sure you factor in your tram ticket up there). If budget is super tight then there is a Travelodge right outside the main entrance to Pleasure Beach and I'm sure that's perfectly nice.

Do not be tempted by the value seemingly on offer from the likes of Metropole, Grand or Norbreck - these are Britannia Hotels properties and should be avoided at all costs.

*There probably are some nice B&Bs, but I can't account for any of them.
I've never been to a Britannia Hotel, why do you say avoid them at all costs?

They are old, dirty and badly maintained. Its actually kind of sad because they own some amazing buildings. The Britannia in Manchester city centre is located in amazing building that they have let go to ruin. Some do have amusingly retro fitting in them.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...orst-chain-seventh-year-in-a-row-which-survey

Their business model involves buying hotels at the point they are in need of refurbishment and then doing the bare minimum or less to them.

They seem to be shifting away from using their 'Britannia' brand as they know it's toxic, but they are doing nothing at all to improve service standards.

Frankly, I feel sorry for the asylum seekers who get dumped in there (and yes, this happens in the Blackpool ones too, the poor souls arrive by the bus load).

Oh and they treat staff appallingly too.

They are old, dirty and badly maintained. Its actually kind of sad because they own some amazing buildings. The Britannia in Manchester city centre is located in amazing building that they have let go to ruin. Some do have amusingly retro fitting in them.
Yes, the Metropole in Blackpool is one example of that. Fabulous building, the only hotel west of the prom... what an amazing opportunity. Not a penny spent since Butlins sold it.

I'm looking at a last minute trip tomorrow and browsed hotel.com sorted by cheapest to highest price. Like said above there are some amazing prices, but when you look into the hotels, the reviews aren't great at all. I've been staying in Blackpool for 20 years so have a list of B&B's I've stayed at over the years, but sometimes fall back onto the Travelodge or Premier Inn.

I stayed in the New Esplanade over the weekend, located just over the road from the Big Blue (had a great view over star Gate from my room).

For a trip I'd suggest waiting for when the park confirms late night riding dates for 2021 and go for one outside of school holidays, travel up on the Saturday and even if you arrive late you'll still get a decent amount of time in the park, plus night rides. Then the Sunday and Monday the park will be much quieter so you can get plenty of rerides. Maybe look to head for home on the middle of Monday afternoon.

I'm looking at a last minute trip tomorrow and browsed hotel.com sorted by cheapest to highest price. Like said above there are some amazing prices, but when you look into the hotels, the reviews aren't great at all. I've been staying in Blackpool for 20 years so have a list of B&B's I've stayed at over the years, but sometimes fall back onto the Travelodge or Premier Inn.
Check if the Big Blue is available. Travelzoo has vouchers for £150 for two days B&B + dinner on the first night + bottle of wine + late checkout... that's a steal in my view.

Premier Inn (beach) has been upgraded to new rooms apparently, £52 for tomorrow. As you know can’t go wrong there with free parking either and only a short walk to BPB.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.