• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

How much is the car park that’s opposite the Travelodge now? I’ve been a few times this season and it’s changed between £6/7/8!

The North car park is £15 (yes, fifteen pounds). The Bond St one round the back of the Pleasure Beach is £12 and the Arena one, behind Grand National, is £10

Does the price still vary throughout the season or is it always £15 now?

I noticed that the car park on the other side of Bond St that I've always thought of as being their main car park (as it's not also a coach park) is now £12. I suspect South or Watson Road car parks could be cheaper again though I haven't checked recently.

It definitely varies from day to day as I walked past the main car park when leaving last Monday (4th June) and it was £8.

The little (non-BPB) car park next to Travelodge varies (it was £5 in Feb, then £6.. not tried it recently as it's cash (coins) only). South Beach (next to Sandcastle) is £8 for 12 hours although you have to get there quite early to get a space. BPB ones vary on time of day and also how long the park is open (so off peak weekdays it's normally cheaper than on a 10-7).

Not sure how much South car park is as I've never tried it.

I'd always thought it was expensive even at £10, although proximity to entrance is basically on par with Towers Express Parking which is £15 I think? Still way too much though.

• Misconceptions about safety. As enthusiasts we all know that Icon is built by one of the safest and reputable manufacturers out there, but thanks to a certain Staffordshire theme park and associated news articles there is a general consensus that rides are "dangerous" - the constant news articles whenever a ride has a safety stop don't help matters. A few weeks ago we were stood on the Icon viewing platform and PMBO was going through its wheel checks, we overheard two different groups of people saying things along the lines of "it's stopped again, that can't be safe" or "it keeps having problems, I wouldn't go near it until it's been running for a while." It's absurd but if it's the way people are thinking, maybe that could be a contributing factor
I would have agreed with the safety concern impact if Towers wasn’t having a good season. All indications from AT is guest numbers are up considerably. Why would perceived safety impact BPB if it isn’t having such an extreme effect at AT?

Your other points are all pretty spot on.

I would have agreed with the safety concern impact if Towers wasn’t having a good season. All indications from AT is guest numbers are up considerably. Why would perceived safety impact BPB if it isn’t having such an extreme effect at AT?

Your other points are all pretty spot on.

I think there is a general public perception that AT is a far superior park to BPB in terms of quantity and variety of rides/attractions. Certainly the people I have taken to BPB over the last few years that had never visited before were very surprised at the amount and variety of rides that Blackpool has to offer. They were just expecting a small amusement park.

I have said this before, but Blackpool Pleasure Beaches biggest problem is that it is in Blackpool. If you can pick it up and drop it in the middle of the English countryside I suspect it would get far more visitors under its current operatiing model.

I realise that may seem like an odd claim considering that Blackpool itself still attracts several million visitors each year, but is this all coming back to the current pricing structure and opening/closing times which do not lend themselves to a seaside park with many thousands of potential walk up trade punters that are currently being overlooked due to the early closures and inflated gate prices.

Demolition of the Wild Mouse. Again, this comes under the customer service and marketing lines, but I feel that the way BPB handled the closure and removal of one of the most popular and established rides on park may well be contributing towards people not visiting.

I purchased a season pass last year and simply because of the Mouse's demolition I havent been to the park this year and havent even got my season pass processed. I have no enthusiasm or desire to go to the park at the moment. So yes, because of what happened to the mouse, they havent received any of my additional money this year, which would include food and merchandise while in the park, plus a couple of Big Blue Hotel stays.

Re parking prices, from April 2019 the Big Blue Hotel will no longer have free parking !!!

Please note parking is currently free but will be chargeable from 1 April 2019.

I purchased a season pass last year and simply because of the Mouse's demolition I havent been to the park this year and havent even got my season pass processed. I have no enthusiasm or desire to go to the park at the moment. So yes, because of what happened to the mouse, they havent received any of my additional money this year, which would include food and merchandise while in the park, plus a couple of Big Blue Hotel stays.

Re parking prices, from April 2019 the Big Blue Hotel will no longer have free parking !!!

Sorry but that's such a moronic mindset. Your enthusiasm might've dwindled but you've paid money to experience all the attractions at Pleasure Beach, not just the Wild Mouse. At least make sure you get your money's worth before the season comes to a close!

Sorry but that's such a moronic mindset. Your enthusiasm might've dwindled but you've paid money to experience all the attractions at Pleasure Beach, not just the Wild Mouse. At least make sure you get your money's worth before the season comes to a close!

A moronic mindset? Really? :)

You really think I should visit somewhere just to get my moneys worth, even though because of Pleasure Beach's actions, I actually don't want to visit? That is a moronic mindset if ever I heard one.

My enthusiasm for the place hasn't just dwindled, its dissipated and I have currently no desire to set foot in the place at the moment.

I do find it strange that a fan of a theme park who has a season pass to said theme park quite simply does not want to visit in the year that their biggest investment opens. But each to their own of course!

Disappointing to hear that the mist was off on Icon yesterday, they really need to ensure that it is always working as it adds a lot to the ride.

:)

Find it strange if you want to @Rob, that is your prerogative. But if I have no desire to go to the place at the moment, what's the point in going? What's the point in spending additional money (fuel, food, parking) on a visit to a park which you have no enthusiasm to visit? I am a massive fan of Alton Towers, but the way the park is being run, again I have no desire to go.

If I could have got a refund for my season pass voucher (which was purchased long before news of the mouse's demolition came to light), I would have, but have been told strictly no refunds, which I fully appreciate as its in the T&C's

My post was following on from @Coaster comments, that the way the Mouse was closed could have contributed as to why the park is quiet. In my case, @Coaster was correct and it is the number one reason why I haven't exchanged my season pass voucher for a season pass and visited.

So be it strange or a moronic mindset, its how I feel.

Find it strange if you want to @Rob, that is your prerogative. But if I have no desire to go to the place at the moment, what's the point in going? What's the point in spending additional money (fuel, food, parking) on a visit to a park which you have no enthusiasm to visit? I am a massive fan of Alton Towers, but the way the park is being run, again I have no desire to go.

If I could have got a refund for my season pass voucher (which was purchased long before news of the mouse's demolition came to light), I would have, but have been told strictly no refunds, which I fully appreciate as its in the T&C's

My post was following on from @Coaster comments, that the way the Mouse was closed could have contributed as to why the park is quiet. In my case, @Coaster was correct and it is the number one reason why I haven't exchanged my season pass voucher for a season pass and visited.

So be it strange or a moronic mindset, its how I feel.

I feel your pain PeteA. Sitting at the FY4 bar looking across to what should be the UK's best roller-coaster thrilling it's riders but seeing a few boards and an empty space is hard to take. Although being a Yorkshireman I wasn't going to let my pride stand in the way of getting my money's worth out of my season pass :)

So despite your understandable negativity towards the park I would suggest biting the bullet and trying out Icon. It may not be as good as wild mouse but it is well worth swallowing your pride for.

Regarding the car parking fee for Big Blue hotel from next year, that just seems another desperate measure by the park to raise money in any way they can, while avoiding the obvious solution that is clearly in front of their noses !!

Last edited:
Also being a Yorkshireman, my stubborn side has taken over !!! :) I will probably visit before the end of the season... probably.... :)

Re the Big Blue parking, yep it seems another desperate measure to raise money. I presume the new hotels parking will also be in the Big Blue parking, so that is going to be interesting when both hotels are full.

I presume the new hotels parking will also be in the Big Blue parking, so that is going to be interesting when both hotels are full.

They have built a new car park in what was the scrap yard between the top half of big ones lift hill and Infusion, whch I am guessing is for the new hotel. Not sure it will hold enough cars for all the guests though.

They have built a new car park in what was the scrap yard between the top half of big ones lift hill and Infusion, whch I am guessing is for the new hotel. Not sure it will hold enough cars for all the guests though.

Looks like a very awkwardly shaped car park to me. I suppose it’s in the time honoured BPB tradition of making things fit, but perhaps not such a great idea in a car park! I can see a few shunts and scrapes happening