• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

The mist was on Saturday morning but off by early afternoon, possibly having been turned off during a breakdown and not switched back on.

I think perhaps the restrictions of what they could do with all those other rides around the place has meant the layout had to be compromised.

I was reading an article on Blooloop yesterday and it seems like this may well have been the case. They could not stick with the original layout that they came up with because supports would either clash with exsiting park infrastructure or would be too difficult to install.

:)

Is it possible for them to increase the launch speed ? Is it just a case of turning the power up ?
Maybe will make the latter half a bit less meh.

o_O

Is it possible for them to increase the launch speed ? Is it just a case of turning the power up ?
Maybe will make the latter half a bit less meh.

o_O
If they cared about the experience then yes but this is the same park that it was rumoured during testing to have requested minimum launch speed as default

Only been to BPB once this season to ride Icon.
The day we visited there was some film people there so not sure if the mist had been turned up to 11
It was intense. Couldn’t see anything through it and got completely wet through by it.
Is this how it normally is. ?
I’m worried it was just a special occasion and it’s normal operation is akin to Oblivion’s mist.
Will be most guttered if visit next month and that’s the case :(

@bluesonichd It's as you describe or off entirely in my experience and nothing inbetween. From opening day...

niCQdApr.jpg

I can hear Mandy from here...
"JOHN! THAT IS A NEW MACHINE! THIS ISN'T OBLIVION'S HOLE AT ALTON TOWERS! YOU'VE SPILT MIST ALL OVER THE ICON AREA!... idiot."

They can't just turn up launches. Forces on rides are carefully measured and tested for hours. I agree the last 10 seconds or so are particularly poor, but there's not much they can do about that now.

Icon is what it is. A good coaster. But not one i get to the brake run and shout WOW.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I had a lengthy chat with one of the rude staff... (haha I love auto correct sometimes...I will leave that one in)...and they said the ride launch is absolutely fixed and cannot be turned up for high winds etc.
The maximum wind speed is (I think) 36mph.
My problem now is how do I quickly put on three stones in weight, so I can guarantee my back seat ride.
I keep getting lard slippage.
The misters were still on full whack yesterday, front and near rear seats in my lunch hour.
Oh joy.

I had a lengthy chat with one of the rude staff... (haha I love auto correct sometimes...I will leave that one in)...and they said the ride launch is absolutely fixed and cannot be turned up for high winds etc.
My problem now is how do I quickly put on three stones in weight, so I can guarantee my back seat ride.
The misters were still on full whack yesterday, front and near rear seats in my lunch hour.
Oh joy.

You don't need to put the weight on, just buy one of those fat suits actors use.

@rob666 There's your costume for vampire beach sorted then :D

25tztok.jpg
30mc13a.jpg

Oh joy.
s5Tuq3w.png

They can't just turn up launches. Forces on rides are carefully measured and tested for hours. I agree the last 10 seconds or so are particularly poor, but there's not much they can do about that now.

Icon is what it is. A good coaster. But not one i get to the brake run and shout WOW.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You could increase the acceleration of the launch depending on the maximum output of the magnets installed but you would be using more power per launch to do so which in turn is more expensive.

You could increase the acceleration of the launch depending on the maximum output of the magnets installed but you would be using more power per launch to do so which in turn is more expensive.

Where is that power derived from? If it's the electric grid then they'll be on a fixed rate tariff so I doubt it matters. But if the extra expense comes from excessive wear and tear of the magnets which would result in them being needed to be replaced more often, then I'd get the cost argument...