• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

We can compare because the others exist. When Banshee was announced for example, comparisons appeared against Nemesis, Batman etc. If Towers build a new flume, Chiapas will be the target for example

Well that's just fluff, naturally. I'm sure @DiogoJ42 has a fairly different top 10 list to me for example

Last edited:
although according to the article, it was Mack (the manufacturer) who said it would be the "best in the world", not BPB.

If it was marketed as a family coaster, I would think it is good but as it seems to be marketed as being thrilling, makes it look poor in comparison to thrill rides. It really looks like a family coaster with 2 inversions.

And SW8>Mackpool
How is this not a thrill ride? High intensity, launches, inversions, airtime. It won't be the best thrill ride, but it is not a family ride. :)

If it was marketed as a family coaster, I would think it is good but as it seems to be marketed as being thrilling, makes it look poor in comparison to thrill rides. It really looks like a family coaster with 2 inversions.

And SW8>Mackpool

Except it is a thrill coaster. It's not being marketed like Th13teen was as a thrill coaster when that is a family coaster.

Even if this was a family coaster (which it isn't), it'd still be better than SW8.

Except it is a thrill coaster. It's not being marketed like Th13teen was as a thrill coaster when that is a family coaster.

Even if this was a family coaster (which it isn't), it'd still be better than SW8.

Can we all use your time machine to review two roller coasters that are yet to open?

This is certainly more exciting than SW8 but god knows how each will ride.

Good point by @Dave , Bandit at Movie Park looks harmless in photos but causes major discomfort in life. Same as Ultimate looks massively uncomfortable and isn't.

Am I the only one who thinks that these two coasters shouldn't be compared in that way? Blackpool's Mack will be a thrilling ride, (based on helix) should ride well, but will most likely be themeless. SW8 will be a family ride, with a family theme - towers are clearly not trying to build the world's most intense woodie. Both will be decent rides for their target, but my judgement on how good they are will wait until I've been on both.

As for my personal taste, im more excited to go on project 2018.

Am I the only one who thinks that these two coasters shouldn't be compared in that way? Blackpool's Mack will be a thrilling ride, (based on helix) should ride well, but will most likely be themeless. SW8 will be a family ride, with a family theme - towers are clearly not trying to build the world's most intense woodie. Both will be decent rides for their target, but my judgement on how good they are will wait until I've been on both.

As for my personal taste, im more excited to go on project 2018.

I think it comes down to how these are both being built at the same time. Potentially with Drayton also getting a coaster (although at this point it's nothing more than speculation), people are saying it's like 1994 all over again.

I'm more excited for Blackpool's Mack, but I'm really looking forward to SW8 as well. Regardless as such, I think they'll be great rides for what they're worth, in they're own right.

It's more the fact that Blackpool are showing ambition with this, Towers are not with SW8.
That's a good point and you're definitely right. But I think the timing still has something to do with it though.

It's more the fact that Blackpool are showing ambition with this, Towers are not with SW8.

To be fair to Alton, they are trying something which goes against all of the market research data they've done over the years. A woodie has always been a 'no no' from market research, so installing a massive RMC is a risk for them. Also, we've recently had The Smiler so was anyone expecting another high thrill coaster so soon? When built, It will have taken Mandy Land 24 years to install a new coaster, where as Alton have installed solidly for those 2 1/2 decades.

What's a thrill coaster and what isn't ? Depends on your own perspective.
There are plenty of adults that won't even ride The Streak at PB but then there are 8 year old's that will happily ride the Big One.

I would class Th13teen as a thrill ride. It attracts younger kids simply because the height restrictions allow it.

SW8 will count as a thrill ride IMO, although I would expect the height restrictions to allow more younger kids to ride it than most of the other coaster at AT, and that is exactly what they need to attract a broader age range.

PB were in desperate need of a major new coaster to create some headlines so I think both parks have gone for exactly what they currently need.

Can't wait to ride both of them.

Besides a few very minor criticisms though, it looks great. So pleased were finally getting one. Looks like it will be one of the best (if not the best) coaster at Blackpool, and a great addition to their lineup.

It won't beat the Wild Mouse. Nothing will ever beat that :)