• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

Nick Thompson has revealed work is starting on a major new ride for the Pleasure Beach, which will take 18 months to build, opening in the 2017 season and that it "will hopefully be one of the most exciting rides in the world" (49mins in).

The 2016 season meanwhile will see park improvements and continued work on the park infrastructure. Exciting!

Hopefully this means Alton Towers won't drop their plans for a 2017 coaster. Will it be the most exciting year for coasters since 1994?

It looks like Alton have already pushed back their 2017 coaster to at least 2018. Merlin have stated chessington and Heide park are getting the major investments in 2017 (Heide should have been 2018 following the 4 year rule so looks Alton and heide have been switched around).

Great to hear! Is anyone clued up on the planning situation at BPB? Not sure if they are likely to require planning permission or not. If they will then it's around the time to start keeping an eye out!

No chance of a Towers coaster in 2017 though I'm afraid.

:)

Great to hear! Is anyone clued up on the planning situation at BPB? Not sure if they are likely to require planning permission or not. If they will then it's around the time to start keeping an eye out!
I seem to remember plans for Skyforce and W&G going online so they probably will need planning permission.

The location is likely to be the site of the Tom Sawyer Bridge considering the work taking place on the ground underneath it at the end of last season - it has been suggested that the bridge will go altogether but that is not confirmed.

Last edited:
I read in one of the Blackpool books that BPB has a general exemption from planning,
within the boundaries of the park...
they donated land for the new prom to the council in the thirties,
on the understanding that they could have pretty much a free hand in future development,
they do have to follow aviation rules due to the proximity of the airport,
but otherwise have pretty much a free hand apparently.

I believe I had read before that the park have to put their plans in front of local aviation people and get their blessing, and they are limited to a height ceiling of around 500ft, not that they'll be breaking that anytime soon anyway! There is usually concept art released, but I can't say I've ever seen a detailed planning application from the park.

If the rumours turn out to be true, I'm excited for this. It's rumoured:
  • to be a launch coaster from MACK Rides;
  • to be located on the Tom Sawyer lake area of the park;
  • require the removal of the Grand Prix and Go Karts;
  • require the replacement of the Tom Sawyer bridge;
  • to be the largest investment under Amanda Thompson;

Any development taller than PMBO would be pretty pointless anyway given that PMBO often closes due to strong winds, anything taller would spend half of its life closed and we really don't want another Odyssey on our hands.

Any development taller than PMBO would be pretty pointless anyway given that PMBO often closes due to strong winds, anything taller would spend half of its life closed and we really don't want another Odyssey on our hands.

If it was designed by someone who knew what they were doing engineer-wise, rather than someone who wanted something that looked aesthetically good then I'm sure that obstacle could be mostly overcome :)

If it was designed by someone who knew what they were doing engineer-wise, rather than someone who wanted something that looked aesthetically good then I'm sure that obstacle could be mostly overcome :)
The Big One couldn't have been built any lower as the Log Flume was below it as well as numerous other rides and buildings.

Goodbye Tom Sawyer bridge!

$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG

Pleased to see some major development at Blackpool, not too fussed who the manufacturer is, I do demand some curtains in the ride though.