• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

Hasn't it already been confirmed that it'll be something from Intamin? I'm sure I read that somewhere

Not seen that, all the rumours have been saying Mack which would make sense seeing as the Thompson family have a very good relationship with the Mack family.

:)

From someone not that knowledgeable on BPB's history, what were the problems with Intamin? And how did the Tom Sawyer bridge get its name?

Also, I thought I had heard the Grand Prix track being removed or changed? I doubt the train or Avalanche is changing though?

Great to see a new major thrill ride for the UK, hope it will be more interesting than the last couple of Merlin coasters. Only thing about it being a Mack is the question of whether it would put off other parks from getting one, in order to be different.

From someone not that knowledgeable on BPB's history, what were the problems with Intamin? And how did the Tom Sawyer bridge get its name?

Also, I thought I had heard the Grand Prix track being removed or changed? I doubt the train or Avalanche is changing though?

There was cable raft ride called Tom Sawyer's Rafts that started on the swamp buggies station, went through the tunnel under the Big Dipper next to the PBE track, and then traveled around under the log flume before coming back.
This is the best image I can find after a quick search
20150729b.jpg

As for Intamin, I've heard it's another case of Geoffrey ordering something without necessarily considering the consequences. For example, the corner at the top of the second lift is too tight for the boats, hence the tilt and way it bashes its way round, but that's what GT wanted so that's what Intamin built. But on the other hand, I think there's a bit of blame on the other side too for things like the turntables and flooding boats!

Last edited:
I heard that Grand Prix was going but it's still standing (in the photos of the bridge being demolished anyway). I wouldn't miss it at all - not even remotely fun and the throughput is dire.

I wasn't expecting to see such major work already if this isn't expected to open for another year and a bit.

So this must mean it's a major project and hopefully a major coaster! There have been rumours flying around for years about the next big ride being on that bridge and around that area, so it seems it must be true.

Let's hope it's a mack mega, the Thomsons and Macks do seem to have a good relationship.

I saw that the actual ride construction doesn't start until October, so there must be an awful lot of ground work to be done!

Well this is exciting! Hopefully we're getting the Mack launched coaster we've been waiting for. That area around the Tom Sawyer Bridge and Go-Karts was crying out for a coaster. Having seen what you can do with such a small space (Smiler) it hopefully will be something exciting and utilises the space well.

I would be more than happy with Big Dipper's removal also. The ride needs to go.

Any particular reason why it needs to go?

It's an underwhelming ride which takes up much needed space. It's unsafe and rough as hell.

It's old, yes, but it's not listed because the original ride's layout has been changed so it's not the original 1920's ride.

This is just my opinion though, I know many people have a soft spot for the ride. ;)

To be honest I quite enjoy the Big Dipper, I'd say however that Nick Streak is absolutely dire and that could seriously do with being replaced with a better quality family coaster. As for this construction I believe that Nick Thompson had already said that no rides will need to close to accommodate it.

It's an underwhelming ride which takes up much needed space. It's unsafe and rough as hell.

It's old, yes, but it's not listed because the original ride's layout has been changed so it's not the original 1920's ride.

This is just my opinion though, I know many people have a soft spot for the ride. ;)
I disagree - it's one of the better coasters in the UK IMO, and I don't find it rough in the slightest, just a bit wild in the back row!

Also, it shifts the queue faster than the other wooden coasters and is still popular with the GP.

As for this construction I believe that Nick Thompson had already said that no rides will need to close to accommodate it.
I thought they'd already close multiple rides? The monorail and Grand Prix for a start. Or did he just mean other coasters?

They got a second train for it? Well cover me with eggs and flower and bake me for fourty minutes! :O

There is a second train for Nick Streak in the station, however I've never seen it on the track. One of the rumours I've heard for the reason why it doesn't run 2 anymore is because of the manual brake system and the number of blocks.

Big Dipper however does run 2 on busy days and is one of the higher throughput coasters at PB when it does.