• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Bloodhound SSC

Jonathan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Helix <3
I hope that some of you have heard about this, but if not, then here's a brief summary. The Bloodhound SSC project is working to create a car that can run at over 1,000mph, and is also encouraging young people to take in interest in science and technology. Today is a very important day for the project, as the car will be tested for the first time at Newquay Airport at 1pm, and the live feed will be located here. Also, there's a good - albeit brief - article about the project on the ThisIsCornwall website about the test, including information about the project in general. Despite not being particularly interested in science or engineering, I'm very interested in this project. If it get more young people interested in science and technology, then that's got to be a good thing! :D

Jonathan said:
I hope that some of you have heard about this, but if not, then here's a brief summary. The Bloodhound SSC project is working to create a car that can run at over 1,000mph, and is also encouraging young people to take in interest in science and technology. Today is a very important day for the project, as the car will be tested for the first time at Newquay Airport at 1pm, and the live feed will be located here. Also, there's a good - albeit brief - article about the project on the ThisIsCornwall website about the test, including information about the project in general. Despite not being particularly interested in science or engineering, I'm very interested in this project. If it get more young people interested in science and technology, then that's got to be a good thing! :D

I hope Newquay has plenty of space - don't they usually do runs like this at the Salt Flats in Utah?

They're doing the engine test in one of the hangars - and not on the runway - as it is still a commercial airport, albeit a small one. Wheels will be on the car by Christmas, according to the article I linked in my original post. The actual speed tests will be done in South Africa.

Jonathan said:
They're doing the engine test in one of the hangars - and not on the runway - as it is still a commercial airport, albeit a small one. Wheels will be on the car by Christmas, according to the article I linked in my original post. The actual speed tests will be done in South Africa.

Ah I see, just looked it up and it seems that it won't be going for the record for another year or two yet. Still, would be incredible to smash the landspeed record by 200mph, 1000mph on land is just insane.

Nobody cares about the Thrust SSC any more, but I do! :p

It's been quite a wait to get to this stage of the project and we still have another year and a bit before they go for 1000+ mph.

Thanks for pointing this out, Jon! :)

Apologies for the massive bump, but I think it's time for an update on this project. Things seem to be going well, with information being posted on the project's Twitter account a few times a day, and the first runs are scheduled to take place in South Africa in the summer of next year.

Oh, and it turns out that you can donate £10 to the project and have your name printed on the tail fin of the car. So guess what I've done... :D