• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Books

Jon said:
gosling said:
I just started reading The Psychopath Test, as recommended by my brother. So far I'm loving it.

I've seen that in bookstores for ages and been intrigued. What exactly is it?

Oh it is very interesting! I have actually already finished the book. It is a little delve into the 'madness industry'. Ronson ends up learning about the Hare Psychopath Checklist used to determine who is/is not a psychopath and what makes them different to people who just have mental illness. Then he meets a range of unusual characters (including Scientologists, a genocide leader and a prisoner at Broadmoor). It touches on the worlds most powerful influences, like politicians and CEOs of huge companies, basically meeting the criteria of psychopathy. It goes into the misuse of the Hare Checklist, the frequency of misdiagnoses, the unnecessary additions to the DSM as the years have gone by. It's also a very funny book that is probably relatable to everyone (everyone meets various parts of the checklist) nd isn't written in a factual/boring way. I'd highly recommend it - but you'll never look at yourself or anyone else the same way again!

Now reading Jon Ronsons 'THEM; adventures with extremists' and absolutely loving it. I recommend it to anybody who is an insatiably curious conspiracy theorist (like I am!).

FINALLY read Lord of the Rings from start to finish, I love the books despite them being quite hard work to read at times. Although Jackson did make some pretty big changes to the films, I believe he was fairly faithful to the books.

Also gave in the hype surrounding The Hunger Games and read the first one (I saw the film so knew what happened). It's a pretty easy read and although I do find Suzanne Collins' writing style tedious at times, I enjoyed it so I'm sure I'll read the other two. I didn't realise how graphic some bits are though, really wish they went for a certificate 15 at the cinema so they were included.

Past week I've re read catching fire mockingjay, just brought a good looking one from asda- Monument 14!
Agree with the above, if they'd of had the tracker jacker scene, mutt scene a lot more gruesome it would of been much better- and I'm sure I'd of gotten in for 15! I hope they do it properly for catching fire- Mag's death, and the Finnick/ Peeta 'resuscitation' scene! I've heard they've missed out the whipping and the Bonnie and Twill bit though:'(

Currently reading Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. Very good book so far and those who like books aim at Teens will enjoy it =)

Just finished reading The Stone Roses: War And Peace. I got it from WHSmith for a tenner the other week and imo it was definitely worth it. It starts off with the band's troubled foundations, then onto the legendary Spike Island gig in 1990, then finally to their recent reunion. 8/10, good read for anyone into that sort of music. :)

Well, I'm starting to read 'Lord of the Flies' for English and I also need to read 'A View from the Bridge' for English too. I'll post my thoughts on them after I've read them...

Then, I'll probably read JK Rowling's Robert Galbraith's new one 'The Cuckoo's Calling' which is meant to be a really good read!

I started reading the first hunger games last year sitting in the walk in centre and never started reading it until this Saturday. I finished it and went straight onto catching fire which I finished yesterday and I've just started mockingjay. I never watched the film first as I wanted to read it and make my mind up from that.

I didn't get into the Harry Potter hype until I watched the first film, then I caught up with the four books that were out. That made me wish I had discovered the books earlier :-( they also miss alot of the good stuff out too. And Cedric Diggory was soo much hotter in my head then on film!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Currently reading signal red by Robert Ryan based on the great train robbery

Half way through 'The Restaurant At The End of the Universe' which is apart of 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' series by Douglas Adams.

After that I'll be reading 'The Trial' by Fraza Kafka.

:)

While I was on Junket, I read 'Tales from the Towers' by Nick Sim. I'm pretty sure most of you know what it's about by now, so I won't bore you with the details. I found the book to be a fascinating insight into what's happened at Alton Towers over the years, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the park. Definitely one of the best books I've read in a long while.

I've also recently read 'London's Disused Underground Stations' by J E Connor, which looks at the history of Tube stations which have closed since the Tube was opened in 1863. Another good read. I'm also working my way through 'Underground: How The Tube Shaped London' by David Bownes, Oliver Green and Sam Mullins. It's a fascinating look at how the London Underground has helped London to grow and change over the years, and also at how much of a battle it was to get the different companies to work together over the first few decades.