• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Brighton: i360 Tower

Sam

TS Member
This morning, Brighton's i360 tower project announced great news on Facebook:

Brighton i360 said:
We are absolutely delighted that the council decided, unanimously, last night to approve the loan. Please see the BBC article here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-18824626

Here's the BBC story:

BBC News said:
Brighton i360 tower £15m council loan approved

Developers seeking to build a 600ft (183m) viewing platform on Brighton seafront are to receive a £15m council loan to cover a shortfall in funding.

Planning permission for the i360 tower has already been granted, with the project expected to cost £35m.

Developer Marks Barfield has raised £18m and the Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership has loaned £3m.

Brighton and Hove councillors agreed to fund a £15m loan so work on the structure could begin in the autumn.

Architect David Marks, of Marks Barfield, said: "This is fantastic news. The unanimous decision to provide the loan to the i360 means that the project is now off the ground, it's launched and we're going to get on with it as quickly as we can.

"Obviously we've got a lot to do before we can actually draw down the money but we're on to it."

The developers believe the tower will attract up to 800,000 visitors a year and plan to repay the loan with the profits from the structure.

The council previously said the loan would be a "business and regeneration proposal by the council, not an act of charity".

Excellent news, great to see the Green Party-controlled Brighton and Hove Council investing in the local economy, and in helping to build something that will hopefully turn out to be an incredibly beautiful thing. :)

Here's the concept art:

166304_129738470426111_408643_n.jpg

166304_129738480426110_836157_n.jpg

166304_129738483759443_1334546_n.jpg

166304_129738487092776_6034974_n.jpg

180424_129739763759315_5788569_n.jpg

180424_129739767092648_2158450_n.jpg

180424_129739770425981_1230129_n.jpg

180424_129739773759314_1878232_n.jpg

180424_129739777092647_7808864_n.jpg

376516_379994008733888_2000275396_n.jpg

382456_379994025400553_1228137579_n.jpg

255360_379994045400551_537672815_n.jpg

3okalv.jpg

This is perfect for Brighton. I just hope the ticket price doesn't turn out to be too expensive for the average visitor to the city.

Hopefully will turn out beautifully - although it may not give reason to visit the city alone, it can at least add to what there already is to do for those currently in Brighton.

I shall be definitely visiting this out. I wonder if Merlin will take on the operations of this in an Eye concept, as Marks Barfield Architects also created the London Eye..

Hey! Brighton's got a lot going for it (and not just if you're gay)! It's a pretty town, with some great independent shops in lots of quaint areas; it's got an amazing promenade that's fantastic for a drink and bar-crawl on a summer's evening; a marina, a pier, and now it's going to have this! It's a lovely place for a relaxing break, and don't forget the outstanding natural beauty of the Sussex coast that surrounds it, the Seven Sisters and Beachy Head; and not forgetting the South Downs which are not far to the north.

I can think of worse places to visit!

I'd really like to go to Brighton for the gay stuff, that wonderful sense of 'faded glory' melancholy that you get at grand British seaside resorts, and the pretentious shops Simon mentions. But maybe I should wait until this is built? It's a bit of a ball-ache to get their unfortunately.

Does anyone know of a rough opening date, now they have all the money? The architect is quoted as saying "we're going to get on with it as quickly as we can." How long does it take to build, test and open something like this? About 18 months maybe?

I honestly think Brighton is one of the easiest cities to get to.. public transport wise anyway. Wouldn't dare try driving there, as the Green party may just murder you.

Does look lovely an' all, but I wish they used a realistic number of visitors in the concept art to give an idea of what it will actually be like. Fill her up and fight for the window I'm thinking. Imagine the ticket price if was to hold the 10 people as depicted!

thefatone said:
Wouldn't dare try driving there, as the Green party may just murder you.

Those eco-fascists! Surprised they don't petrol bomb motorists on the way in to be honest. :p

I wouldn't dare drive there, even the roads don't know where they're going!

Sam said:
I'd really like to go to Brighton for the gay stuff, that wonderful sense of 'faded glory' melancholy that you get at grand British seaside resorts, and the pretentious shops Simon mentions. But maybe I should wait until this is built? It's a bit of a ball-ache to get their unfortunately.

Hang on, weren't you there about 3 weeks ago?!

Simon said:
Sam said:

Hang on, weren't you there about 3 weeks ago?!

That was a joke check-in from Nottingham to try and wind my friend up, who said he was sick of my constant checking-in. I've only ever changed trains at Brighton unfortunately! The station is very nice though. :p

The inside is! The outside...not so much! I can't really place this on the prom in my head, but it can't look worse than the remains of the old pier! :p

This will hopefully provide the economic incentive for somebody to rebuild and restore the West Pier, now it will have this at its entrance, drawing people in. :)

To quote the song Brighton: The Anthem (to the tune of Bright Eyes)...

"Brighton, dead handy for London.
Brighton, Gatwick's not too far.
And everyone sleeps with everyone else,
but there's nowhere to park your car, Brighton."

thefatone said:
Wouldn't dare try driving there, as the Green party may just murder you.

That'd be why they have a policy to abolish car tax? ::)

I'll definitely be popping down to have go on this, being only an hour and forty minutes away.

This does look amazing, and at 600ft it will be the 5th or 6th tallest tower in the country. Pity that Brighton is just about the furthest away point in this country from where I am though ;)

Construction begins! Check out their short newsletter here. :)

10547834_737019346364684_8753860478279783529_o.jpg

Brighton i360 said:
Phew! It's been a busy time for all of us here at the i360. Our latest newsletter is chock-full of exciting site developments and events. Here's a quick round-up:

- The 29th of July was our 'first spade in the ground event', which formally marked the start of building works. Mayor Brian Fitch also cut the ribbon on the newly-renovated arches.

- The wooden beach access road was completed, allowing our contractors JT Mackley to deliver materials to the site.

- Our hoardings have begun to go up, and we put in our planning application for them to be decorated with colourful street art.

- The root end of the West Pier was removed, and its columns carefully stored.

- We are now ready to begin diverting the sewer that runs underneath the site.

For more details, see: http://brightoni360.wordpress.com/2014/08/02/i360-newsletter-2/

As a Brighton resident I am not keen to say the least on the i360. It looks like a taller version of the chimney on the Southwick power station. Grey and characterless, other than the red light on the top.

I'm not sure how to post a pic from an iPad otherwise I would post one.